DeMeco Ryans to Philly

I also think it's a great deal for Philly. I also think the Texans are going to be fine on defense. Dear god I wanted Brooks Reed, I saw him play a few times, he's a star in the making. With Barwin and Watts also they are a nice young group to build around.

I also think it's a great deal for Philly. I also think the Texans are going to be fine on defense. Dear god I wanted Brooks Reed, I saw him play a few times, he's a star in the making. With Barwin and Watts also they are a nice young group to build around.

Ugh I know. There was a contingent of us clamoring for BReed last april.

I've lived in Houston the past 12 years and have followed the Texans closely since their inaugural season in 2002. DeMeco was a quality linebacker for them and a tackling machine prior to his injury. However, the fact is he hasn't played that well since his return from the achilles tear and the move to the 3-4 exposed his lack of size and reduced movement post injury. Barwin, Reed and the "over-trained" Cushing made that defense go last year....with help from Joseph on the back end. Ryans may be helped by a move back to the 4-3 but frankly he simply wasn't very good for the Texans last year....not a major loss. I am sure the Texans will look for some linebacker depth but they have bigger priorities such as finding a number two WR, addressing an OL that has been weakened by losses at guard and tackle, DE/OLB depth to counter the loss of Mario to the Bills and another DB,

Joe is correct, especially with the examples cited. Achilles injuries are very tough to fully recover from because it's a complicated tendon. It's a tendon that looks like a box of cooked spaghetti. When it ruptures, it's a mess because it's never a clean, orderly rupture. Each strand can be severed at a different location. While the surgery has become relatively straightforward, the physical therapy afterwards is the real key to having the leg regain strength and ability to throw weight off the foot.

Merriman's AT isn't even ruptured and you see how it's affected his ability to be on the field.

The Texans must be very confident in their talent evaluation. Judging by their successful drafts, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they believe they can find a linebacker that fits their 3-4 in the draft.

I've lived in Houston the past 12 years and have followed the Texans closely since their inaugural season in 2002. DeMeco was a quality linebacker for them and a tackling machine prior to his injury. However, the fact is he hasn't played that well since his return from the achilles tear and the move to the 3-4 exposed his lack of size and reduced movement post injury. Barwin, Reed and the "over-trained" Cushing made that defense go last year....with help from Joseph on the back end. Ryans may be helped by a move back to the 4-3 but frankly he simply wasn't very good for the Texans last year....not a major loss. I am sure the Texans will look for some linebacker depth but they have bigger priorities such as finding a number two WR, addressing an OL that has been weakened by losses at guard and tackle, DE/OLB depth to counter the loss of Mario to the Bills and another DB,

I'm sure Ryans was still hampered by his achilles last season but he should be back now. It takes a long time for those things to completely heal - Spikes was basically 2 years.

I think this may be the first time I've heard a 247 ILB/MLB be called out for "lack of size".

I think Wade Phillips "makes that defense go". He's done it everywhere he's been. The Ryans move looks totally like a salary cap dump. I don't blame them for doing it but damn it would be nice to have gotten a player of that caliber for what's basically going to be a special teamer.