Buddy Nix sure does understand Bills fans

From Peter King's article...

It didn't hurt that it was 70 degrees and sunny when his fiancée came in and they toured the city. "Almost like it was destined that he come here,'' said Nix. "A couple times during the process I thought, Why'd we get into this? The downside was huge. If we lose him, I don't know how long it'd take for our fans to recover. They wanted him so bad. But you know, you've got to step up to the plate to have a chance to get a hit. Buffalo's got an inferiority complex. That's why it was so important we get Mario.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/03/19/signings/index.html#ixzz1pc6j4VYt

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was meaning to start a thread on this but I rarely start topics.

The irony of Buddy Nix is that he's often been characterized here as a hick. He's also been characterized as being asleep, and too old.

In truth, Buddy is very media savvy and this is reflected in his comments all the time.

"Believe me we are seeing the same thing you guys are seeing… "

"I keep telling you guys and you never believe me…"

"It IS harder to get free agents to Buffalo… "

And over and over… Buddy reads the papers, listens to the media, understands the frustration of Bills fans and doesn't have the pompous attitude of some NFL execs. He doesn't say thing like "if you start listening to the fans you'll be sitting with them."

Buddy obviously has his finger on the pulse regarding this team and its media and fans and he cares what we think.

Buddy Nix is steadfast in his beliefs and confident in his abilities but he does not dismiss those who care deeply about this team, nor those whose profession it is to cover this team.

After having an inept front office for so long I was skeptical about Buddy. When he took Spiller I almost jumped off my balcony but now I see that he has a plan. Bringing in Mario was something I thought would never happen and getting him to sign was one of the greatest Bills related moments in the last 10 years. Buddy is a man with a plan and I cannot wait to see how the draft unfolds.

I know the Bills read fan boards including this one. I doubt Nix does personally but he must get the gist.

PTR

I'm very happy with Buddy right now and with Mr. Wilson, who ponied up the bucks to make this happen. But I do think we all should take some credit too. I'm sure OBD does read our posts and it was finally apparent that another year of 7-9 or so would cause mass defections in the core fan base. Buddy understands there are no excuses in year three of a rebuild and he had to bust a move both in FA and the draft to ensure a creditable season (9-7 or better). I'm not trying to take anything away from the front office here, they got it done in a surprisingly big way and I am optimistic the draft will be good this year. But I do think fan pressure helped the FO take the big leap on this deal.

Thank goodness for deer overpopulation. Next to the $100 million dollars that seems to be the thing that really sold Mario!

Seems like it. Oh and also another piece of good fortune was that a house was available near where Jimbo lives.

"Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft. Nix was a major reason the Chargers turned around from a losing football team to a rebuilt, winning team. In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl."

"Nix's job with the Chargers was to oversee both pro and college scouting and to be one of the main decision makers in each NFL Draft. Nix was a major reason the Chargers turned around from a losing football team to a rebuilt, winning team. In 2004, three players Nix drafted were selected to the 2005 Pro Bowl. In 2005, six players Nix drafted were selected to the 2006 Pro Bowl. In 2006, eleven players Nix drafted were selected to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In 2007, eight players Nix drafted were selected to the 2008 Pro Bowl."

Nix's resume is very impressive. I think he likes the stereotype of a hick because he knows its not true and people underrate him. He being a real gm has been a huge reason why this franchise has truly turned itself around.

I loved the country boys from day one. Buddy's accent is a bit more thick. Chan and Buddy are a straightforward tell you like it is type guys. Buddy is the comedian amongst the two and Chan at times doesn't want to joke at all but either way they've stuck to what they say this whole time. Chan said Stevie if you get flagged for excessive celebration again I'm going to sit you down the rest of the game and he did.That's why I know Freddy will have his contract restructured before training camp because that's what he said he will do. The draft will be interesting to watch this year.

(country accent) Make it dew what it dew Buddeh...

Love his plan as well as his honesty.

Also, it's fun listening to all the Buffalo accents on the whiner line and then following that up with Buddy Nix talking! Night and Day.... love it!

He comes across as very genuine and prideful. Something I think our front office has lacked for quite some time. Oh ya, he's kinda Football smart, too.

I think the fact that Buddy Nix is Buddy Nix, the way he looks and talks, is what prevented him from getting a GM job a decade or two earlier. GMs usually have to be somewhat the face of the franchise even if they don't get on TV all that much. They have to schmooze agents and players, and marketing, and running the rest of the organization. If Nix looked and talked like, say, Brandon, he probably would have had a GM job a long time ago. Part of the reason it's working good now for the Bills is that Brandon is the guy doing half the GM job and Nix is doing just the football part of it, what he is good at. It's a shame, too, because listening to Buddy Nix at the podium is a much better experience than listening to 90% of the GMs around the league, and it's probably the one thing that kept him from getting a job for so long.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

I think the fact that Buddy Nix is Buddy Nix, the way he looks and talks, is what prevented him from getting a GM job a decade or two earlier. GMs usually have to be somewhat the face of the franchise even if they don't get on TV all that much. They have to schmooze agents and players, and marketing, and running the rest of the organization. If Nix looked and talked like, say, Brandon, he probably would have had a GM job a long time ago. Part of the reason it's working good now for the Bills is that Brandon is the guy doing half the GM job and Nix is doing just the football part of it, what he is good at. It's a shame, too, because listening to Buddy Nix at the podium is a much better experience than listening to 90% of the GMs around the league, and it's probably the one thing that kept him from getting a job for so long.

This is an interesting perspective and I bet a lot of it is true.