Buddy Nix sure does understand Bills fans

The other thing i will point out is how much playing time did freddie and SJ and Fitz and Bell see under jauron??

This is an important point.

I will admit that Nix and Gailey seemed to not catch on to what they had right away in evaluating the roster they inherited - but they've made adjustments.

I'm just going to stand firm against arguments that last year's team was not much better than Jauron's string of 7-9/7-9/6-10 based solely on their final record.

Yeah we all know they ended up 6-10. We also all (should) know how they got there when they had been 5-2.

Cincinnatti figured out Gailey's scheme? Maybe, but they were also a playoff team we lost to on the road by three. That other loss of the first two was to the eventual SB champs, again by 3, again on the road.

Unitl the injuries hit this was a playoff-bound team by any objective accounts at the time. THE big problem was lack of pass rush. Other elements weren't perfect but they were good enough.

They were at or near the top of the league in rushing, interceptions made, and fewest sacks allowed - and that was after playing good teams.

Regardless - as I said early int the thread - Buddy Nix agrees - they need to produce wins this year.

My OP wasn't how great is Buddy's record so far, it was Buddy gets the fans - including that part - we expect wins now - and so does he.

Edited by BobChalmers

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I think giving Jauron credit for anything is borderline insanity....let alone credit for a team that went 7-9....sometimes, it's not just the win/loss, but the manner in which those wins/losses came....I'm not ready to put a crown on Nix and say he was God's gift to Buffalo, but I'am also very far from throwing him under the proverbial bus stating he hasn't done "anything" or enough to get Buffalo to the place where talent meets execution and we start to see wins....

Simply put, IMO this team is much farther along in two seasons, along with a shortened FA season last year, than they were in 3 years under Jauron/Levy/Brandon as GM....and I don't know how Troup will work out or Easley, as both have been hampered by nagging injuries, but in many other ways, I believe the Draft has yielded better overall results than in the Jauron/Levy/Brandon as GM years did....and yes, there's Wood and Levitre, Byrd and KW, but beyond that, I don't think Jauron/Levy get credit for anything...yes SJ, but he didn't see playing time until Chan got here, so kudos to Levy for seeing talent, and Chan for actually giving him the chance to play....kudos to Fewell for seeing Fitz as a good QB, and kudos to Chan for letting there be a competition between Trent and Fitz and then pulling plug quickly into their 1st season when it became apparent that Trent was a practice stud and a game time queen....and yes, there are not many starters from the 2010 cmapaign in Draft/FA, but again the BILLS were trying to move to a 3-4, so that meant drafting and signing FAs from a different talent structure than before and now, we're moving back....we can go round and round with this, but why not simply say, we're a team in motion...hopefully progressing toward being a relevant team for the playoffs, but only 2012 will truly tell us....and yes, 2012 is a year when we NEED to see drastic improvement, playoffs or bust or Chan/Nix will be considered unsuccessful and I'll be one of the first to admit it...but until then, let's take a breath and give them the benefit of a full off-season without work stoppage interruptions to see how they can build this team.....ok??

The planet where bringing up a starting line up from 2 years ago makes you look like a dbag.

use 2011 starters

and better yet lets talk opening day of 2012.

You my friend make yourself look silly.

The other thing i will point out is how much playing time did freddie and SJ and Fitz and Bell see under jauron??

the only good thing jauron did was move Wilson to safety. Thats it.

Seriously? I prove you wrong and your response is to tell me to use a different year? Are you really that effed in the head that you call me a a dbag because I point out the truth to you, that Nix didn't blow up anything! I just proved to you that your statement was complete crap and all your response was to name call!

Your quote,

They said, man, we need to blow this thing up and start over. Which they have. There is only a handful of guys left from Jauron's era.

God i hope the Bills make the playoffs this year. I have seen you post this jauron crap a few times, and it pisses me off.

That first year in 2010 the Nix / Gailey regime changed only 6 players and they got worse! The core starters on this team are all still from the Jauron era, deal with it! To this point Jauron has fielded better teams then Nix / Gailey, which is pretty sad considering.

I can almost see why the karma for this team has been so bad for so long when I read stuff like this from some Bills fans. Thank you for providing me with the insight into your limited mentality, I will refrain from entering into further conversations with you atlbillsfan

I support Nix, and I welcome super Mario. However I feel that going out and getting the best player available wasn't inspired or thinking outside the box. I give more credit to Ralph for letting someone pry the checkbook from his miserly hands. He stepped outside of his M.O. to get it done. Nevertheless, I like the direction we're heading.

The franchise has stagnated the past 12 seasons, the fan base has suffered through 2 failed rebuilding process (WilliamsMularky/Donahue and Jauron/MarvBrandon) and through two years of the Gailey/Nix era the results haven't been much better. The franchise needed some juice and seeing how the team locked up a few key components last season and during the off season (Stevie, K.Williams, and Fitz) and still had a but load of cap room they needed to make a huge move to both improve the team at its biggest weakness.

Lets also not forget they did make a offer to Meachum as well. They wanted to show the fans that this team wants to end this playoff drought. It worked but now they need to round out the roster in the latter stages of free agency and get some impact out of the draft.

Losing on Mario right away wouldn't have been bad, in fact we would have expected it. It would have been fine given we had time to pursue other options.

But man, if we lost out after three days, and after all sorts of FAs signed elsewhere.

We would have committed mass suicide.

Not sure that is bad. There is a lot of chaff in the wheat who will never be happy. I'd rather the chicken littles and negative nancies just find another team to harass.

Not sure that is bad. There is a lot of chaff in the wheat who will never be happy. I'd rather the chicken littles and negative nancies just find another team to harass.

12 years of no playoffs along with the questionable decisions made by the previous front offices and you think everyone should be happy?

I support Nix, and I welcome super Mario. However I feel that going out and getting the best player available wasn't inspired or thinking outside the box. I give more credit to Ralph for letting someone pry the checkbook from his miserly hands. He stepped outside of his M.O. to get it done. Nevertheless, I like the direction we're heading.

:lol: yea, that took a miracle.

I don't know what Nix could have possibly said to Ralph Wilson to change his outlook on spending big money on free agents. I gotta wonder what it would have taken to trade for Top DE in his prime like Super Mario, 2#1's? This move is such a franchise changer.

Name one.

I assume there have been one or two although I cannot remember seeing any in 45 years of closely watching football. Coaches? Sure. But GM is a different job.

It's just a theory, there is no proof anyway, either way.

And I am not talking about his abilities as a GM anyway. I am talking about what he says and how he says it. I love listening to him, it's a breath of fresh air. But he still contradicts himself a lot, isn't totally straight forward (it's impossible to be), has surely made some mistakes, and we surely don't know if his plan is working until they prove it on the field and make the playoffs.

I like the way he is building the team though, with big, fast, smart, high character guys for the MOST part. It seems to me we are on the right path and this year will be a major disappointment and failure if we do not make the playoffs barring serious injuries to a few key players.

Non-shmoozing, straighforward, honest GMs? I named 5.

Anyway, I agree that this is the year this crew will be judged (by most, anyway), as they should be.

Do you also support Obama? Cause....this just reminds me of the straw-grasping going on with them as well.

Similarly, nobody is saying that Nix/Romney is great just yet....

....but you/they know right now, there's a significant risk that everything you/they have been saying for the last 3 years may be determined to be utter horseschit. As time goes on, piece by piece, your/their perception of that risk is...that it's growing, isn't it?

Makes you/them quite uncomfortable, doesn't it? Especially when each news item, big or small, after the next, keeps whittling away at your position?

Not that it is apropos of anything we are discussing, but no, I didn't/don't support Obama.

Just an analogy targeted at a specific poster who patently deserves it....and, a hook, for whatever fish comes along and can't see it for the obvious trap it is. :wallbash:

Wriggle little fishy...

Now, run along. Everything is going to be fine, and, your vote is based on....performance. :lol: There. See? I've told you 2 comforting lies to assuage that "not so fresh feeling"....how nice of me.

You don't know WEO?....actually it's quite fitting. Customized, even. :D:P

Your posts are very entertaining for the way you really put your intellect out there for us all to see. No one on this board jumps so enthusiastically into that leaf covered hole in the trail as you do. You are the guy running with scissors! I reread your "annual" "no one trades down" thread and laugh/shake my head. It's crazy, crazy stuff. In fact...you've made it to the sig.

12 years of no playoffs along with the questionable decisions made by the previous front offices and you think everyone should be happy?

No I think those who are happy with making others miserable should go elsewhere.

:lol: yea, that took a miracle.

I don't know what Nix could have possibly said to Ralph Wilson to change his outlook on spending big money on free agents. I gotta wonder what it would have taken to trade for Top DE in his prime like Super Mario, 2#1's? This move is such a franchise changer.

I totally get why Ralph was to tight with the checkbook. The last 3-4 GMs (or whatever they were) were idiots. It took a while for Ralph to see Buddy knew what he was doing.

PTR

I agree with the OP but I also see some issues that seem to get over looked when evaluating Nix too.

The change to the 3-4 was short sighted from Nix and Gailey. That is one area they didn't need to change on the team they inherited. I think what a lot of people forget is that Jauron's teams defenses were actually really good .... at least for up to 3/4 of a game. The problem was that offense could rarely move the ball and the defense was worn out by the end of the game. Had they retained Fewell and just fixed the offense I think we would have seen that swift change we see with other teams.

Also, while I like CJ I think at the time it was the wrong pick. That said the handling of the Lynch and Edwards can be seen as good moves, although I think trading Edwards may have been a better option than cutting him directly(but perhaps there was not interest).

IIRC Nix was here a season before he became GM so he should have know the talent of the team and can be given credit of some of them on the roster that have been kept. Also, his first draft was performed under the guidance of the old scouting dept so he deserves so leeway there.