Mike Wallace WR RFA

papazoid

Mike Wallace 40 Yard Dash Time 4.28 (NFL Combine)

Michael Floyd (4.42 - 4.52).

Justin Blackmon (4.46).

Steelers are in cap hell and may not be willing to match any offer above $5 mil.

Teams have until April 20 to extend offer sheets to restricted free agents, and nobody is in a rush. Nor should they be. If you make a substantial offer to Wallace, you can wait up to a week before knowing if he's yours.

Wide receivers Vincent Jackson and DeSean Jackson this week earned contracts averaging approximately $10 million to $11 million each annually. The Washington Redskins shelled out $21 million in guaranteed money for Pierre Garcon, and Buffalo emptied $19.5 in guaranteed money into the pockets of Stevie Johnson.

Wallace is better than everyone on that list except possibly Jackson, so it doesn't take a genius to figure out he should command a high price.

But a draft pick, no matter how high, is unproven. Mike Wallace is not. He's an important part of one of the league's most prestigious and successful organizations, and he's what one GM called "a game-changer." So if I'm sitting with a first-round pick somewhere below the 20th choice, I think long and hard about making him mine -- and there are teams down there (New England, San Francisco, Denver and Baltimore) that should do the same.

They have money. They have cap room. They have needs. Most important, they have time.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17842010/wallace-will-get-paid-but-maybe-not-by-steelers-and-not-in-hurry

At the costs of a 1st round pick and $10M/year (at least) I don't see any team doing it.

Wouldn't you draft him in the first round today, though, even at age 26? You know what you're getting and if any WRs are worth $10mil/year, Mike Wallace is one of them.

Wouldn't you draft him in the first round today, though, even at age 26? You know what you're getting and if any WRs are worth $10mil/year, Mike Wallace is one of them.

Absolutely you would draft him 1st and pay him that money. Thing is (regarding us anyway) It think I read we have about 13M left this year now? We have to sign our picks (idk how much that costs) so we only have so much cash left. We would have to do some heavy cutting to afford him at 10M + a year

Absolutely you would draft him 1st and pay him that money. Thing is (regarding us anyway) It think I read we have about 13M left this year now? We have to sign our picks (idk how much that costs) so we only have so much cash left. We would have to do some heavy cutting to afford him at 10M + a year

Oh yeah, I didn't mean the Bills, specifically--- but to any WR hungry team with cap space. The Steelers wouldn't pay 2 WRs $7-8mil/year, which is part of their issue with paying Wallace right now. They're not sure if they want to make Wallace or Antonio Brown their #1 big money guy. I don't think the Bills would ever consider paying 2 WRs that kind of money, either.

Watching the 10 worst FA signings yesterday on the NFL network, combined with the Bills track record at signing fA WRs who aren't named Loften (Early, Brooks, but only for 1 year) leaves me a little disinterested in signing high priced WRs, even if they are seemingly "can't miss" options.

Bill Brooks and Quinn Early were not particulatly bad signings, I'm not sure what problem you'd have with either of them. In any event, neither Brooks nor Early are even in the same league as Mike Wallace, IMHO.

Oh yeah, I didn't mean the Bills, specifically--- but to any WR hungry team with cap space. The Steelers wouldn't pay 2 WRs $7-8mil/year, which is part of their issue with paying Wallace right now. They're not sure if they want to make Wallace or Antonio Brown their #1 big money guy. I don't think the Bills would ever consider paying 2 WRs that kind of money, either.

Brown isn't an UFA for another 2 years, so they have time with him. And while they don't have a ton of cap room, they have enough (they just freed-up $3M over the weekend) to match any offers for Wallace.

Brown isn't an UFA for another 2 years, so they have time with him. And while they don't have a ton of cap room, they have enough (they just freed-up $3M over the weekend) to match any offers for Wallace.

I think they'd like to see how this season pans out before they commit longterm to one or the other.

FWIW, I picked this up from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette, who usually has a pretty good read on the Steelers:

One thing the Steelers will not do is pay two receivers an average of 7 to 8 million dollars a year, so if they determine Brown is the player who should get that then Wallace will be elsewhere in 2013. However, if they give the money to Wallace right now then they will have determined that he indeed is that player.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115409-ed-wallaces-options-may-be-down-to-one

I think they'd like to see how this season pans out before they commit longterm to one or the other.

FWIW, I picked this up from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Ed Bouchette, who usually has a pretty good read on the Steelers:

One thing the Steelers will not do is pay two receivers an average of 7 to 8 million dollars a year, so if they determine Brown is the player who should get that then Wallace will be elsewhere in 2013. However, if they give the money to Wallace right now then they will have determined that he indeed is that player.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/115409-ed-wallaces-options-may-be-down-to-one

Of the 2, Wallace is far more proven and better. Again they don't need to do anything with him, much less Brown, unless he threatens to hold-out.

Definetely go get him if he can be signed for the same as Stevie or less. Otherwise there would be problems. Better than drafting an unknown that most likely would take a year or two to develop.

i think offering him stevie money is perfect.....

he was the steelers #1 WR.

also.....Buffalo's pursuit of Meachem was an acknowledgment that not only do they need a starting-caliber receiver opposite Stevie Johnson, that receiver also ideally will be able to stretch defenses vertically.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2012/3/14/2870404/robert-meachem-2012-chargers-bills-free-agents

Edited by papazoid

If the Steelers lower the 1st rounder to a 2nd rounder I'd do it in a heartbeat. Then draft a LT with the 1st pick. But it will never happen so we actually have a tough choice in the draft. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds is where the defensive side of the ball has many many good players that can contribute right away. So with the 1st do we get a LT or a WR? Tough choice because we don't have anymore wiggle room in free agency according to Nix so LT and WR is the only two choices i can think of in round one. I definitely hope we don't draft Coples.

I know Ingram wouldn't fit in this defensive scheme we have this year according to analysts but, he would be the ONLY defensive player I would take in the 1st round if he were to be available.

If the Steelers lower the 1st rounder to a 2nd rounder I'd do it in a heartbeat. Then draft a LT with the 1st pick. But it will never happen so we actually have a tough choice in the draft. In the 2nd and 3rd rounds is where the defensive side of the ball has many many good players that can contribute right away. So with the 1st do we get a LT or a WR? Tough choice because we don't have anymore wiggle room in free agency according to Nix so LT and WR is the only two choices i can think of in round one. I definitely hope we don't draft Coples.

I know Ingram wouldn't fit in this defensive scheme we have this year according to analysts but, he would be the ONLY defensive player I would take in the 1st round if he were to be available.

Man that's what I've been saying is we needed an OT or WR in FA before the draft for exactly this reason. Gun to my head we need a WR more. By any means necessary we MUST have a WR opposite Stevie or the offense will suck this year (I said it). It will flat out suck.

Trade down in the first....get the extra 2nd + 3rd

Offer the late 1 for Wallace.

Build out the rest of this team with next 6 picks in 2/3/4

Depth the rest of the way

Never happen but fun to consider....

YES. How can I forget that? I've been saying if there's any year to trade down, it would be this year. But I don't want to move too way back. Jets pick 16th so I wouldn't mind moving down to the 15th slot and take best WR available and then in the 2nd round get best OT and the other 2nd round pick go defense until the 5th round.

Man that's what I've been saying is we needed an OT or WR in FA before the draft for exactly this reason. Gun to my head we need a WR more. By any means necessary we MUST have a WR opposite Stevie or the offense will suck this year (I said it). It will flat out suck.

Well I don't want to sound like a scout or a know it all cuz I'm definitely not. But, I knew Stevie had talent when he was in the PS and couldn't wait til he hit the field. I have the same feeling about Kamar Aiken who's in the PS now. I know people don't know what we have in Easley because of injuries but he's ok also. I'm not a huge Donald Jones fan but he can catch a ball here and there. Roscoe will surely be picked up by another team. If we do trade down like I said I'd trade down to the 15th slot ahead of the Jets and get a WR because the Jets will definitely draft WR with the 1st pick I'm sure of it. NFL is a chess game and this draft for Nix will be a challenging chess game for sure.

Trade down in the first....get the extra 2nd + 3rd

Offer the late 1 for Wallace.

Build out the rest of this team with next 6 picks in 2/3/4

Depth the rest of the way

Never happen but fun to consider....

You have to give up your own picks to get a RFA - Not other teams.

It's really unlikely that Wallace would even consider the Bills. For him to be good, he needs a team that can get the ball deep quite often and likes to throw very deep, and the Bills simply are not that team right now. Meachem was a slightly different story and more sensible fit because he wasn't a star, he was just pretty good. We need a threat from that position who can make a play once in awhile to keep defenses honest and to open up the field so first has his pick of several good options, short, medium and long. That's Meachem.

Wallace is a stud long ball WR who could never put up the numbers he did in Pitt on the Bills, at least the way the team plays now.

Edited by Kelly the Dog