Why Stephen Hill WILL be the pick at number 10.

mob16151

I want either stephen hill or Brian quick in this draft, I don't have a problem with hill at 10 or quick at 41, they're clean off the field have huge upside and are very talented, big bodied receivers... if they pan out which I think will happen with these two receivers it's not a reach and it helps our team...those are the two receivers I really like in this draft and I hope we land one

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much resume did Calvin Johnson have when he was picked #2?

Seriously? :huh:

As a freshman in 2004, Johnson was named first-team All-ACC...As a Soph he was 1st Team All-American, and a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist...In his Jr year Johnson had 1200 yds and 15 TDS...He was a Consensus All-American, won the Biletnikoff, and I remember at least a couple Scouts saying he was the best prospect WR ever...Like...in...forever...

Pretty incredible resume coming out...That's why I cringe when I hear comparisons to players like Johnson...He's one-of-a-kind...

Just saying... B-)

Seriously? :huh:

As a freshman in 2004, Johnson was named first-team All-ACC...As a Soph he was 1st Team All-American, and a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist...In his Jr year Johnson had 1200 yds and 15 TDS...He was a Consensus All-American, won the Biletnikoff, and I remember at least a couple Scouts saying he was the best prospect WR ever...Like...in...forever...

Pretty incredible resume coming out...That's why I cringe when I hear comparisons to players like Johnson...He's one-of-a-kind...

Just saying... B-)

OK. First, I don't put much stock in the Biletnikoff award. Josh Reed won it, too, in 2001. Second, hot prospects often flame out in the NFL.

OK. First, I don't put much stock in the Biletnikoff award. Josh Reed won it, too, in 2001. Second, hot prospects often flame out in the NFL.

If you watched him play in college you knew he was going to be good. Can not say that for certain about Hill, because to be honest he really did not stand out in the Tech Games i watched this past year.

If you watched him play in college you knew he was going to be good. Can not say that for certain about Hill, because to be honest he really did not stand out in the Tech Games i watched this past year.

What are your thoughts on Demarius Thomas? I believe he was in the same situation and he didn't have a lot of stats but has turned into a #1 for Denver after dealing with some health issues.

As a side note it was also mention in an article from the GT coach if I am not mistaken that says having worked in the triple option he is well experienced at all the other things WRs do like blocking for ball carriers and read and react type stuff. A WR's primary job of course is to run routes and catch the ball but apparently he has a good deal of experience with all the other things a WR has to do.

What are your thoughts on Demarius Thomas? I believe he was in the same situation and he didn't have a lot of stats but has turned into a #1 for Denver after dealing with some health issues.

As a side note it was also mention in an article from the GT coach if I am not mistaken that says having worked in the triple option he is well experienced at all the other things WRs do like blocking for ball carriers and read and react type stuff. A WR's primary job of course is to run routes and catch the ball but apparently he has a good deal of experience with all the other things a WR has to do.

Oh ya. Let's not forget that Tebow was his QB for a good portion of his time which doesn't help any WRs stats or growth!

5 pages on a guy who had 28 catches. I would be shocked if he is a Bill.

The odds are against it but the odds are against almost any player becoming a Bill. I don't know if you read any of the 5 pages or are just dumping on the thread because it is 5 pages long but Buddy Nix was at GT's pro day personally to watch Hill. I don't think ole Buddy hops on a plane and flies around the country for fun unless there is some real interest or fact finding going on.

There is some information out there that Stephen Hill is supposed to make a visit at some point before the draft. This was based on some speculation of identifying 26 of the 30 player visits we allow. The resume is short from a receptions stand point but he has to be a blocker having been in the 3 option system for years. The only knock on him is GT didn't throw much and the hometown kid wanted to stay in Georgia.

He has things you can't teach like 6'5", 215 and running in the low 4.3s. Oh...lets not forget a ridiculous vertical leap. Seems to be exactly what Nix and Co are looking for. A big fast field stretcher who is open when he is not.

Floyd is a much more obvious choice but has off field issues and is not nearly as gifted as Hill. I really think that Hill may end up being the best WR out of this draft in the long run.

Edited by PDaDdy

5 pages on a guy who had 28 catches. I would be shocked if he is a Bill.

that first sentence sums it up pretty well. he was projected in the 5th round a couple months ago by some publications. hilite reel aside, he's not going in the top 10. al davis is dead.

Demaryius Thomas: (6'3", 235 lbs)

2007: 35 rec, 558 yds, 3 tds

2008: 39 rec, 627 yds, 3 tds

2009: 46 rec, 1154 yds, 8 tds

40 Time: 4.50

Stephen Hill: (6'5", 206 lbs)

2011: 28 rec, 820 yds, 5 tds

40 Time: 4.36

Thomas definitely has more production for more years and is less of a beanpole. Stephen hill is faster (Thomas didn't do many drills at the combine so this was the only real comparison). If they didnt both go to GT, would even be comparing them? I agree there is something to the fact that they played in the same college system, but that does not mean they are the same kind of player.

He may have potential, but I don't think he is a first rounder. Again, he had 28 receptions. Not sure how many targets he had, but I know it couldn't have been many. Worst bowl game I watched last season was GT. Option right EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

Measurables, he has. Experience? Not so much.

Demaryius Thomas: (6'3", 235 lbs)

2007: 35 rec, 558 yds, 3 tds

2008: 39 rec, 627 yds, 3 tds

2009: 46 rec, 1154 yds, 8 tds

40 Time: 4.50

Stephen Hill: (6'5", 206 lbs)

2011: 28 rec, 820 yds, 5 tds

40 Time: 4.36

Thomas definitely has more production for more years and is less of a beanpole. Stephen hill is faster (Thomas didn't do many drills at the combine so this was the only real comparison). If they didnt both go to GT, would even be comparing them? I agree there is something to the fact that they played in the same college system, but that does not mean they are the same kind of player.

Hill ran at 215lb at the combine and maintained his speed. It's also mentioned in the video I posted earlier in the thread. Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress have been some VERY successful bean poles as you put it in the NFL. Compared to Thomas Hill is taller and much faster which are even greater positives. Thanks for pointing that out. Thomas came out at 224lbs and didn't even run the 40 if I am not mistaken so his 4.5 is likely a proday friendly time.

I agree they aren't the same type of player. I think Hill could be better as he has better measureables. The only thing that Thomas has over Hill is weight. Every other measureable Hills has it over Thomas. Hill's college production is lacking but who was throwing the rock at GT for Hill vs Thomas?

They all sucked but in 2010 the 2 QBs who split time combined for a whopping 9 TDs for the entire season with 7 INTs and in 2011 they made a huge jump to a gaudy 11 TDs and 8 INTs. That is piss poor terrible. The problem isn't the low numbers for the WRs, it's the triple option scheme and the QBs throwing the ball.

Edited by PDaDdy

He may have potential, but I don't think he is a first rounder. Again, he had 28 receptions. Not sure how many targets he had, but I know it couldn't have been many. Worst bowl game I watched last season was GT. Option right EVERY SINGLE PLAY.

Measurables, he has. Experience? Not so much.

Thomas went 22 over all in the first round in the 2010 draft. I have no reason to think that Hill won't go around or before then. The "experts" would tend to agree with me.

Hill ran at 215lb at the combine and maintained his speed. It's also mentioned in the video I posted earlier in the thread. Randy Moss, Plaxico Burress have been some VERY successful bean poles as you put it in the NFL. Compared to Thomas Hill is taller and much faster which are even greater positives. Thanks for pointing that out. Thomas came out at 224lbs and didn't even run the 40 if I am not mistaken so his 4.5 is likely a proday friendly time.

I agree they aren't the same type of player. I think Hill could be better as he has better measureables. The only thing that Thomas has over Hill is weight. Every other measureable Hills has it over Thomas. Hill's college production is lacking but who was throwing the rock at GT for Hill vs Thomas?

They all sucked but in 2010 the 2 QBs who split time combined for a whopping 9 TDs for the entire season with 7 INTs and in 2011 they made a huge jump to a gaudy 11 TDs and 8 INTs. That is piss poor terrible. The problem isn't the low numbers for the WRs, it's the triple option scheme and the QBs throwing the ball.

I realize that my post may have come off as having a negative viewpoint on Hill, which wasn't really my intention. I agree that Hill does have some pro's over Thomas, but we cant ignore the con's either. I just took the heights and weights off of espn so your #s are probably more accurate. Either way, Thomas is more solidly built and Hill is more of a "skinny" guy.

I wonder if there have been any successful NFL wideouts that have had very limited college production?

Thomas went 22 over all in the first round in the 2010 draft. I have no reason to think that Hill won't go around or before then. The "experts" would tend to agree with me.

The Bills allegedly tried to trade back into the first round to grab Thomas in 2010. Wouldn't shock me if they made a similar attempt with Hill. Would shock me if they drafted him at #10.

ARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH

How does my month old 5 page thread on "How do we get Stephen Hill?" get merged and replaced by a 2 page thread on "Stephen Hill WILL be the pick at #10" that hasn't been posted to in forever?

Apparently we can have 10 different threads addressing the minutia of why somebody thinks Fitz sucks but these 2 separate threads, mine being the longest (*grin*) gets merged because it is a related topic? *sigh*. :wallbash:

I guess someone wanted this thread dead as you have to search through your own previous posts to find out where it went. Maybe I am on to something!!!!

Edited by PDaDdy

Thinking more an more about hill, he's not bad...an he's buddy's kind of guy, the big fast receiver with huge upside that we need....he has ties to chan, who recruited him while at GT...I know it'll be a reach...buffalo will be blasted, some experts saying great pick some tearing us apart, I guess well see three years from now, hopefully we fill other needs if we do get hill...,I agree with your insight since there are no clear cut number 10 picks how is there a huge reach of we do take hill

Super Bowl or Bust

GO BILLS!!!

You were the one who asked "how much resume" Johnson had and KOK provided it. Now that the facts don't fit your theory you make a vague, useless statement like "hot prospects flame out."

Calvin Johnson didn't.

I can remember watchign D Thomas make alot of big plays for Tech. Being a UGA fan i remember his 76yd TD to start the third quarter of the 2009 game. He was an all around player. Great blocker, good speed, and knew how to get open. Plus he was a very physical WR in college.

I thought first round was a little high for him, but the Broncos disagreed. He has been decent in Denver, but by no means great. He played in the same system in 2008 and 2009 that Hill did and produced better numbers his senior year. I am not sold on taking a wr from an option offense.

You have to wonder how many times they benefited from defenders being lulled to sleep by run, run, run, run, pass, run, run , run. run, pass etc...

Hill could turn out to be a solid guy, but any team taking him in the first is basing it solely on potential over any kind of real production.

1334664718[/url]' post='2438521']

You asked about his resume. The Billetnikoff award is on his resume. Lots of prospects flame out in the nfl, hot prospects, long time prospects, middle round prospects, can't miss prospects.

You were the one who asked "how much resume" Johnson had and KOK provided it. Now that the facts don't fit your theory you make a vague, useless statement like "hot prospects flame out."

Calvin Johnson didn't.

Yes, KOK provided it....but I would like to know what my theory was. All I did was ask a question.

You asked about his resume. The Billetnikoff award is on his resume. Lots of prospects flame out in the nfl, hot prospects, long time prospects, middle round prospects, can't miss prospects.

I also pointed out that Josh Reed won it. Should I list other winners with stellar NFL careers, such as Bobby Engram (1994), Marcus Harris (1996), Troy Walters (1999), Antonio Bryant (2000), Charles Rogers (2002), Mike Hass (2005), and Golden Tate (2009)? My point that the Biletnikoff is dubious at best as an indicator of success at the NFL level.

1334709317[/url]' post='2439239']

Yes, KOK provided it....but I would like to know what my theory was. All I did was ask a question.

I also pointed out that Josh Reed won it. Should I list other winners with stellar NFL careers, such as Bobby Engram (1994), Marcus Harris (1996), Troy Walters (1999), Antonio Bryant (2000), Charles Rogers (2002), Mike Hass (2005), and Golden Tate (2009)? My point that the Biletnikoff is dubious at best as an indicator of success at the NFL level.

You pointed out the unsuccessful winners....after you asked about his resume. If he won the heisman, you could talk about 20+ others that sucked in the nfl. If he was 1st team AA, you could talk about the 100 others that sucked. For every college superstar that succeeds in the nfl, there are 200 that don't. So why even bother asking about someone's resume?

Edited by NewEra

well if your going to be bashing people, I will hop in...no need for the comma in that sentence, remove comma and you have a complete sentence.

aside from English writing lessons, I like Hill as a project, but definately NOT with the 10 pick

Correction: Aside from English writing lessons, I like Hill as a project, but definitelyNOT with the 10 pick.

Seriously, unless your grammar, spelling, syntax and composition skills are perfect, do not correct the errors of other people.

You pointed out the unsuccessful winners....after you asked about his resume. If he won the heisman, you could talk about 20+ others that sucked in the nfl. If he was 1st team AA, you could talk about the 100 others that sucked. For every college superstar that succeeds in the nfl, there are 200 that don't. So why even bother asking about someone's resume?

I asked because I did not know of his stats. Also, I will not question the fact that he won the award, but I do question whether or not it s an indicator of potential success in the NFL, or a merely a memorial to a great college career.

Not in round 1

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WHEN THREADS GET MERGED! About 5 - 6 pages of this 8 page thread were regarding "How do we get Stephen Hill?" not "He will be the pick at #10". Hill WILL go in the 1st there is no doubt. #10 would be early and it would be based on speculation about his potential as well as his SICK measureables. If we move around in the draft it's possible that we might end up getting him.

picking Hill at 10 would be something Al Davis would do

Picking Kendall Wright at #10 would be something that Al would do because he is undersized and plays fast!

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WHEN THREADS GET MERGED! About 5 - 6 pages of this 8 page thread were regarding "How do we get Stephen Hill?" not "He will be the pick at #10". Hill WILL go in the 1st there is no doubt. #10 would be early and it would be based on speculation about his potential as well as his SICK measureables. If we move around in the draft it's possible that we might end up getting him.

Yes! Yes! YES! All WIN! Kill the Mods! Eat the Mods! We are the 99%!

Because? Because I want my unrealistic draft scenario in it's own thread!

No thread? No Peace! No thread? No Peace!

:D

I'm gonna go smoke 10,000 dollars worth of crack, come back, and still not be able to post a sillier pick at #10. This guy is a 4th round talent as a football player. Damn.....just damn.

Buddy Nix would need to smoke that much crack to take Hill at the 10 spot :lol:

Seriously, the guy is a project mostly because he doesn't know the complete route tree. The kid can block so he would be a plus for a running team that wants to develop him

If Hill had been in a top passing offense and put up good numbers he would be a top ten pick. Some team will still take the guy in the mid to late first round simply because his numbers are so good. 6'4'' 4.3 40

It's still part of his college resume, isn't it? That's what u asked wasn't it? Since you were too lazy to look it up yourself?

And if I was, so what? It was provided to me, and I consider myself a little more educated about Calvin Johnson. And too lazy? Well, OK, I'll buy off on that, but I thought that was why we can ask questions here in America. How conduct myself is completely up to me, as long as I do not violate the TOS. If you have a problem with that, you are SOL.

Edited by jjmac

Reading comprehension fail? His measurables compare FAVORABLY to Calvin Johnsons. Good lord to people on line know what words all together in a row mean? It's called a sentence. There used to say things. Good lord.

They're

Woah.. Bobby Engram hate?? he had 650 career receptions and 7700 yds! come on man!

My bad....I stand corrected.

Nice of you to say so but you're not completely wrong by any means.

Engram put up good numbers which were abetted by a very long career, something like 15 years.

I don't believe that he ever made a Pro Bowl so the fact of him winning the Biletnikoff Award remains kind of underwhelming.

My bad....I stand corrected.

Nice of you to say so but you're not completely wrong by any means.

Engram put up good numbers which were abetted by a very long career, something like 15 years.

I don't believe that he ever made a Pro Bowl so the fact of him winning the Biletnikoff Award remains kind of underwhelming.