Do we move in FA from #2 WR to re-signing Bell?

Now that there are only mediocre WRs left do we switch plans and re-sign Bell? Might be a better bang for the buck rather than overpaying for what's left at WR. Then we can focus on defense, a WR and TE in the draft (may as well join the 2 TE craze since we're not getting the WR Buddy promised us--the one who is "uncovered when he's covered").

Now that there are only mediocre WRs left do we switch plans and re-sign Bell? Might be a better bang for the buck rather than overpaying for what's left at WR. Then we can focus on defense, a WR and TE in the draft (may as well join the 2 TE craze since we're not getting the WR Buddy promised us--the one who is "uncovered when he's covered").

Sign Boss, TE reelased by Oakland and solves that need as well. I just don't see sleepy Nix doing much to help us with FAs as obviously nobody wants to come here unless nobody else wnats them.

As opposed to overpaying for an oft-injured tackle?

As opposed to overpaying for an oft-injured tackle?

But we haven't heard any action on Bell, so maybe the rest of the league is wary too, and he won't be overpaid. If we can get him at "just right paid" I'd be open to it since we don't know what the Bills think of the 3rd or 4th best OT. What if the top 2 are gone? Better Bell than a mid-round pick. At least there is a chance he'd stay healthy.

We were MUCH more successful in games he played... on our way to 4-0 before he got hurt (we went on to collapse in that 4th game that he got hurt in). It's possible his injury was as big as any in our unfortunate decline.

But we haven't heard any action on Bell, so maybe the rest of the league is wary too, and he won't be overpaid. If we can get him at "just right paid" I'd be open to it since we don't know what the Bills think of the 3rd or 4th best OT. What if the top 2 are gone? Better Bell than a mid-round pick. At least there is a chance he'd stay healthy.

We were MUCH more successful in games he played... on our way to 4-0 before he got hurt (we went on to collapse in that 4th game that he got hurt in). It's possible his injury was as big as any in our unfortunate decline.

Compared to Fitz's rib injury, I don't think it was as major a factor. Any way, I'm with you. If he would sign for a 1- or 2-year contract at minimum salary, just long enough to prove that he can stay healthy, I would be open to resigning him. At the end of that contract, he could still get one big one.

He's way better than Hairston at LT, that's what "he's done" as a Bill. We currently don't have a real LT on the roster. Drafting Martin is certainly one option (at least if we get Mario) but maybe he's not *that* good. OR if he is, maybe he's gone. Last year the Bills only liked 2 OT's for round 1 and both were gone. Could be the same this year. If we need to take someone that needs development in the 3rd round or something, signing Bell is good. And in my opinion, he is a pretty good one, albeit injury prone thus far, obviously.

He's way better than Hairston at LT, that's what "he's done" as a Bill. We currently don't have a real LT on the roster. Drafting Martin is certainly one option (at least if we get Mario) but maybe he's not *that* good. OR if he is, maybe he's gone. Last year the Bills only liked 2 OT's for round 1 and both were gone. Could be the same this year. If we need to take someone that needs development in the 3rd round or something, signing Bell is good. And in my opinion, he is a pretty good one, albeit injury prone thus far, obviously.

Great, so since he's better than a fourth round pick let's sign him up! Great logic. The guy has proven to be injury prone and soft at the POA.

Great, so since he's better than a fourth round pick let's sign him up! Great logic. The guy has proven to be injury prone and soft at the POA.

Yeah, can't really fault Hairston, considering he was a rookie who had no off-season. Although in terms of development at respective points in their career, Hairston was light-years ahead of where Bell was as a rookie.

Totally agree. Bell is soft and never dominates. He is decent, but he always is getting beat up. We can do better in free agency or the draft. I would be happy with him as a depth player. I think the Bills agree. That is why we did not sign him before free agency started. We do NOT view him as the long term solution at LT. We will let him sort out any offers, and find his value on the open market. He will than be much easier to sign, if he does not get a good offer from anyone else, which I am thinking will be the case. Elite NFL teams do not have starting LT's like Demetrius Bell.

Yeah, can't really fault Hairston, considering he was a rookie who had no off-season. Although in terms of development at respective points in their career, Hairston was light-years ahead of where Bell was as a rookie.

Because Bell was a really late starter... didn't even play in high school (no team). Then he didn't play O-line until 2nd year of college... So of course he was a project.

All the analysis and scouting reports said Hairston was a RT all along. He held up ok, but Bell was better.

The point is, the Bills are almost certainly not going to go into the draft intent on drafting a LT in the first round no matter what. IF the top couple guys they really want are gone, they aren't going to just take the next best thing if they aren't believers... they'll take the best player available and wait on the O-line like they did last year. So signing Bell to a shorter, mid-size deal would make sense then... he'll probably be a lot better than a mid-round pick.

Can someone explain what Bell has done as a Bill? Sure he a good athlete and a great story but he's been injury prone and average when he's been on the field.

IMO Bell has played better than average when he is in. Injuries happen and cannot be predicted.If he is a good player, and I think he is, sign him. I said good, not great. If you can find a better option right now get him, but if not we sure could use him. Keep our good players and add from there.

nfl radio said he would be in Arizona today. The suspect he will get some play. Kerwin thinks that it is about 50 50 he stays with the Bills, but we wont get in a bidding war over him. Also thinks that regardless of Bell the Bills pick Martin @ 10, he is pro ready today.

Can someone explain what Bell has done as a Bill? Sure he a good athlete and a great story but he's been injury prone and average when he's been on the field.

Bell has been one of the best LT in the league over the last 2 yrs. In 010 he only gave up 1 sk. In 10 Gms last season he gave up a half sk and what's even more impressive is that he lead the NFL in yds per carry running on his side. The only thing bad about Bell is his injuries.

We should offer him a 1yr deal for 5mil. That will allow us to take Ingram or Fluid in the first round.