IF...the Dolphins land Redskins land Peyton and the Browns land Flynn

Virgil

Does that change the Bills opinion of trading up? I'm not really a RG3 guy, but I know a lot you are. If those two get their QB's pre-draft, then I have to think that the Rams leverage goes way down. As far as I could tell, the Dolphins would really be the only team left with interest. We only pick two spots behind them.

Personally, I think the Skins and Phins will win those two guys and the Browns will get RG3. But if the original scenario works out, does that change anyone's opinion to trade up?

I'd offer them next year's 1st rounder (because it's gonna be the 32nd pick), Roscoe Parrish, Dwan Edwards, and a bag of used footballs.

Actually the OP makes a good point. If both teams get their starting QB in free agency, then the market for that #2 pick takes a slide. I've heard rumors that Holmgren really likes Matt Flynn, and is likely to make a good push to sign him. Regardless of what happens in FA...it's still going to take 2 first rounders, likely a 2nd rounder, and some change to move up from #10.

Good thought and in fact the availability of both Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn on the open market could reduce the number of bidders for the Rams 2nd pick overall.

1) Indianapolis Colts: will take Luck

2) St Louis Rams: have Bradford and have publicly stated that they will trade the pick

3) Minnesota Vikings: have Ponder and have indicated that they are not looking for a QB

4) Cleveland Brown: Quarterback Derby

5) Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Have stated that they are not looking for a QB

6) Washington Redskins: Quarterback Derby

7) Jacksonville Jaguars: Have stated that they are not looking for a QB

8) Miami Dolphins: Quarterback Derby

9) Carolina Panthers: Cam Newton

10) Buffalo Bills

So you have 3 teams above the Bills who will be interested in Griffin… with possible interest in Peyton Manning and/or Matt Flynn.

Of course there are teams drafting later than the Bills who will have an interest in Manning or Flynn but because of the low-ness of their draft picks, probably can't make a strong play for Griffin.

A best-case scenario (if the Bills were competing for the Rams pick) would be for Manning and Flynn to sign with the teams above us in the draft.

This would leave the Bills to vie with only one other team for Griffin.

IMO, the Bills position is still not strategically strong enough nor do I believe they have the interest in moving up for Griffin. Nix expressed a dislike for trading away multiple draft picks.

It looks to me like the Browns with their two number one picks are the favorites to get the Rams pick.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

I wish the team wasn't so needy at so many positions, because then i'd say yes, take a shot and put a package together to trade up. But with the bad defense and Fitz's new contract, it doesn't make any sense this year to even try. The front office is 100% committed to Fitz, at least for one more year.

So I say they should stay put or trade down, load up on defense + a OT/WR in the draft and hope the young guys from the past 2 drafts show something next season. If that happens, and we get good production out of our top picks this year, the Bills will be in decent shape. If not, well, more of the same i guess.

I doubt The Browns goes for either Flynn or Manning. They have the upper hand. They are probably hoping that Manning goes to the Phins, and Flynn goes to the Skins. That leaves them all alone and all they have to do is sit there and not give up anything. So that would leave just us and the Browns. The Rams are being a little greedy with that No.2, apparently no team has made an offer that has pleased them. So The Rams are really looking for someone to sell their souls for that pick. I just can't see Buddy Nix bending over like that.

I would think nothing less of Nix if he had the grapes to go after RG3. Fitz is probably going to get hurt again and I'd rather have a athletic phenom ready to go than what we has this year. Which was "Fitz has cracked ribs, what do we do? Put in Thigpen? No way! A severely injured Fitz will surely do better than 1-7."

I thought of this the other day and came up with the following scenario.

Phins/Skins acquire Flynn/P. Manning. The Browns call the Rams bluff assuming the Rams will hold onto the pick. The Vikings and Bills have talks preceding the draft about this happening and agree to a Ponder for the Bills third round pick with the Vikes taking RG3. The alternative is that the Vikes trade the pick to the Bills knowing that a solid player will still be there and they can add some picks.

The latest news out of Cleveland is telling and really could shake things up. At a press conference Thursday, Cleveland's GM said that Peyton is a definite "NO" and Flynn is a "MAYBE". Flynn may even visit the Browns, as soon as free agency begins (at 4 pm Tuesday). I found this in a column on CBSSports.com. Another article described why the Bills might be lying about not having an interest in RGIII.

Edited by dcjoev

Personally, I think if Peyton goes to Miami and Flynn to the Skins', then the Browns have absolutely no need to move up to aquire RGIII. There wouldn't be a team in the top 10 looking for a QB besides the Browns. And even they don't seem like they want to give up their draft picks to move up.

If it ends up that no one wants to trade with St. Louis, I'm sure they will be happy enough to "settle" for the best LT or WR prospect.

I think the rams want to trade down and still get Blackmon, so they are hoping the deal with the browns. That is why I feel the their asking price would still be high if the other teams sign qbs. They would need more picks to make up for the fact that they would be passing on one of the best talents in the draft.

Lets say that for the sake of argument that Peyton goes to Washington and Cleveland Signs Flynn that leaves Jacksonville in drivers seat, unless Miami trades foolishly trades picks for RG3. Jax picks #7 and I see an opportunity for the Bills to jump the Dolphins and pick RG3 at 7

He wont make it that far. If he slides past two you better beleive every team that wants him will be calling at 3,4,5,6

Do you like losing as we have been? Are you really interested in continuing it?

McGahee....traded up and what did we get?

Losman....traded up and what did we get?

McCargo....traded up and what did we get?

See a pattern here? If not, then consider: when we draft a dud we lose that value not for 1 year...but for the next 4-5. Example: Aaron Maybin is still contributing to the value deficit on this team.

Trading up for a dud, or even a good player, doesn't generate enough benefit to justify the cost...unless you are a playoff team who lost last year because you are missing one key player, and with that player you can win it all. Then, and only then, draft value is better spent on a single player. The Bills haven't been that team since 1995.

Even if the player is worth it, even if he's gonna be great, way more often than not, the value lost in getting him by trading up, does NOT cover the value lost in the picks given away. It's an 11 man team game. This is not the NBA, and it sure as hell isn't Madden, :lol:, which I hold primarily responsible this. (And, for the trade down people: Exhibit #1: Bill Belechick's draft days for the last 5 years. Case closed.)

My best trade up example is: Cornelius Bennet. We traded a hell of a lot to get him....but what did we really get? We got a good player, but did we get a great one? Is he a HOFer? Oh, I thought we had to trade up to get guys because they are "gonna be HOFers". :lol: We gave up 2 #1s, a #2, and a good RB in Greg Bell....for a guy who ended up being good, not great.

This trade up/down nonsense is silly(Disclaimer: unless it's the Redskins offering to trade up, and in that case we should rob them blind, because they will let us). But again, short of Madden-think, I don't know why it continues at a board whose knowledge of the game is elite when compared to that of most other team's boards.

Perhaps I should email Madden's development team and request that they tighten up the trade process and it's validation...surely that would remove some of the trouble.

If I were the Browns I would keep the 2 1st rounders and go after Flynn. That way they can get at least 2 starters in the first round and get a good QB.

Washington has to give up the farm to get RG3 and Snyder is crazy enough to do it.

I think Miami goes hard after Manning. If they don't get him I think Matt Moore can man the position for another year and they draft Tannehill (sp?) .

Don't think the Bills will trade up for RG3. I would be excitied if they did but I think with the holes on D that they concentrate on that side .

Edited by Bufcomments