It's official Mario Williams is a free agent

Is he? They were never a very good defense with him and without him they were suddenly the 2nd best defense in the league.

Why the Texans, who know him best, let him go?

Well, for one, this is Wade Phillips' first year there, so that should explain why the Texans' defense flourished this year. Secondly, Houston drafted Watt and Brooks Reed to go along with Cushing and Ryans so they are or will be heavily invested on that side of the ball, already, so they really can't afford to keep MW.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure who is going to sign him. I'm guessing at least $15M/year. That's a big cap hit for any team.

Cut Spencer johnson and chris kelsay use their combine 8 mil becuse neither one of them are worth the money and merrimen is worth somewher betwwen 5-8 so we got the money. I say worth the price hopefully more of a backloaded contract then a front loaded one

I honestly dont think Mario is even on our radar. That Campbell guy from Arizona is probably a better bet.

The best bet is any mediocre talent Nix can get in here on the cheap. He will then say 'they were the best fit for what we do' and fans will buy it.

Is he? They were never a very good defense with him and without him they were suddenly the 2nd best defense in the league.

hey - good one

goes to show coaching means nothing in the NFL\

you do realize the Texans defense before Wade was coached no better than by George Edwards

money.

it was aways back. But i read more than once it would take 20 mill to get him.

But if we were hanging ass out the window, this is the position we most need and the best player available to fill it. i do not care what the naysaers say on that. But i also am unwilling to pay him even 15 because we have more needs yet. Build through the draft.

more Buddy Nix nonsense

in a shocking revelation, (for teams other than the Bills) it was determined that signing a stud player in free agency did not eliminate the ability to "build thru the draft"

Yes i get that. But we still need to build the foundation. Now i do think we are getting closer to being ready to move the money around to make this happen. And by some reports we could relieve our debt this year and make room for 15 million. is now the time?

is he a long term investment or will he be a drain with his well known talent that demands that kind of pay. I mean he wont go for any pay for play. He has the league by the short hairs because of his position and versatility this year.

I dont think thats a good investment for the long run because in a couple years you will have to pay to keep your well drafted guys. Heck i mean what will Marcel demand? But you are right with your point.

Makes sense, comparable to the money Peppers got. My guess is it may be more like $16 million per year.

I however think there's 0% chance he comes to Buffalo.

That's probably right on the percentage amount. However, that does not mean we should not go out there and get legitimate pass rusher. In my opinion, there has to be a few pass rushers on the free agency market who would be happy to come to Buffalo for the chance to play next to Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus.

Bla BLa Bla - Here are his stats !

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/9587/mario-williams

He peaked in year 2 and has declined in sacks, tackles and FF's every year I think we as Bills Fans are still looking for the second coming of Bruce Smith, and while he would be better than Kelsey or any of the rest of the guys we have,I think for the 15-20 million he will command he ain't worth it .

Edited by I hate the Bills !

The former number one pick is going to hit the open market. My friend on the Texans loves the guy and did not think the Texans were really going to let him walk away. Is there any chance of him landing in Buffalo??

I hope the Bills actually make a strong push for him as he is a game changer if he is 100% healthy. I know it is a slim chance that he signs with the Bills but I really do think he is worth the money he is going to demand and I have never once heard a bad thing about him.

He has no chance of living up to the contract he is about to sign, IMO but if you are going to take a chance on a high priced free agent, let it be one at QB/LT/DE. A DE who can get you 10 sacks and a relatively large amount of every down pressure is more valuable now than it was even a year ago.

Just a thought but, If we don't land Williams or another big name FA pass rusher & because most of the potential DE draft picks have big ?s, what would y'all think about coaxing Jason Taylor out of retirement as a situational pass rusher. I know he's 50 years old but he had 7 sacks in spot duty last year, wouldn't break the bank, & had his best years in Wanny's D. Between him, Merriman, and whoever we get in the draft we ought to be able to get some pressure on the QB. Thoughts?

They switched to a 34 and don't want to pay him 100m to play LB after a 5 game audition?

I honestly dont think Mario is even on our radar. That Campbell guy from Arizona is probably a better bet.

He was franchised

it was aways back. But i read more than once it would take 20 mill to get him.

But if we were hanging ass out the window, this is the position we most need and the best player available to fill it. i do not care what the naysaers say on that. But i also am unwilling to pay him even 15 because we have more needs yet. Build through the draft.

Probably more like $16M per, similar to Peppers deal. $20m was what the franchise tag was going to cost Houston.