Scott Chandler close to new deal or idle speculation?

He will test the market as he should. I am sure the deal the Bills are offering is not big and another team might be willing to step up for him. If I were him I would want to see what other teams are offering. I thought the Bills should have tried to make a deal with him early last season when they may have had a chance of tying him up at a good deal.

Just idle speculation but makes sense to me: if Martellus Bennett may leave Dallas as this writer says, Dallas native Chandler waits to see what Bennett does and then takes his spot with the Cowboys if they have any interest. The Bennett thing should work out early enough after 3/8 that if nothing's going on Chandler can still re-sign with the Bills.

And I know the Cowboys already cut him once. I'm just sayin' from his point of view.

Edited by Ennjay

Just idle speculation but makes sense to me: if Martellus Bennett may leave Dallas as this writer says, Dallas native Chandler waits to see what Bennett does and then takes his spot with the Cowboys if they have any interest. The Bennett thing should work out early enough after 3/8 that if nothing's going on Chandler can still re-sign with the Bills.

And I know the Cowboys already cut him once. I'm just sayin' from his point of view.

He's not going to Dallas to be their third TE. They're high on UVA's John Phillips who was pushing Martellus Bennett for the second tight end position. They certainly wouldn't pay him more to be their third TE than the Bills or another team would to be a starter. Chandler will go where the money is and where he has a chance to start. Plain and simple.

If the Bills are going to pay big time money for a TE I'd prefer they spend it on a big time player. It would be something if a team got suckered into blowing a wad of cash on a guy like Chandler.

You mean our best TE in years? I know he's not HOF material, but it's been a long time since we've had a dynamic TE, and he has chemistry with Fitz.

I know it's not Ralph's style, but we HAVE to stop the revolving door of talent, even if we're not talking about top talent. Yes we're rebuilding through the draft, but we can never draft to fill all the holes if don't keep our top FAs.

I hope we resign Chandler. The TE draft class is very weak. In FA we could look at John Carlson, but I think the Bills don't want to spend resources on the TE position. I think Gailey would rather have another receiver. Look for the bills to sign Harry Douglas WR falcons.

You mean our best TE in years? I know he's not HOF material, but it's been a long time since we've had a dynamic TE, and he has chemistry with Fitz.

I know it's not Ralph's style, but we HAVE to stop the revolving door of talent, even if we're not talking about top talent. Yes we're rebuilding through the draft, but we can never draft to fill all the holes if don't keep our top FAs.

I'm sure we can wait another 10 years to find another tight end

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4257/scott-chandler

Beat writer Joe Buscaglia puts the Bills' chances of re-signing Chandler at "23 to 1," and thinks they believe they can "make another Chandler rather than over-paying for the actual Chandler." Refusing to overpay for a tight end who faded down the stretch last season and had just one career catch coming into 2011 would be the wisest course of action.

Even with Chandler they still don't have a dynamic TE

Decided to dig a little and found this:

link

Turns out the Bills met with his reps at the combine which totally sailed by me. Apparently working hard to equates to close to signing to some.

Well since you're helping the guy out by providing sources for him, ill chip in too

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7639414/washington-redskins-place-franchise-tag-fred-davis

Apparently I'm in a micro-minority here.

I think Chandler is an excellent player.

Seems like media and fans alike are pretty underwhelmed by him.

You're in a minority of at least two, Bob. I agree with you.

Apparently I'm in a micro-minority here.

I think Chandler is an excellent player.

Seems like media and fans alike are pretty underwhelmed by him.

He's okay. It would be good to have him back, but it's not like he is an elite TE.

And truth is, in Gailey's system they use Nelson like a TE. With his spread sets

and the way he uses the RB's in the passing game I don't think a TE will ever be

big part of Gailey's offense. If they pay big money for a TE they should be

paying for a better physical talent than Chandler.

You're in a minority of at least two, Bob. I agree with you.

Glad to hear I have good company.

The funny thing is that the players that had the most support as free agent targets last year were guys who would upgrade a position of need and would be attainable for a reasonable price.

The two most vetted players were Tyson Clabo and Kevin Boss. I wanted the Bills to pursue both of them.

Tyson Clabo is now a 30-year old, undrafted player coming off a bad year, who re-signed at 5 years and $25 million. Yes, Clabo was an injury fill-in in the Pro Bowl in 2010 after finally establishing himself with his 5th team in 8 years.

We ended up with Erik Pears, a 29-year old, former undrafted player coming off a solid year who we extended for 3 years and $9.3 million.

Essentially the Bills got the same player for much less money.

Kevin Boss is now a 28-year old, former 5th rounder who's coming off a mediocre year (28 catches, 3 TDs) who signed with the Raiders for 4 years and $16 million.

We have a free agent TE in Scott Chandler who's a 26-year old, former 4th rounder coming off a strong year.

If you believe the listed height/weight, Chandler besides being 2 years younger is an inch taller than Boss and about 10 pounds heavier.

My point is that there seems to be an inherent belief that guys on other teams are better than guys on the Bills.

People here wanted Kevin Boss last year but now Scott Chandler is just a mediocre tight end.

I don't get it.

He's not excellent at all. If he wasn't 6'7 he really wouldn't have too much going for him matter of fact. Average only blocker, doesn't get very good separation, and just doesn't have the "naturally smooth" route running of a top TE. I like him as a nice #2 because of his height though.

For the record I have stated (before last season) that Boss would have been a wasted aquisition because Chandler would give equal production.