Mike Schoop explains himself regarding "rudeness"

bbb

"People ask me why I'm not friendlier when the call starts. [saying] 'How are you?' is a challenge for me because there's like a clock ticking in my head. If there's three seconds or whatever of that kind of thing, that's plenty of time for people to change the station, and that's my obsession."

The guy doesnt want to take three seconds to say hi in case listeners turn to another station. How many people turn to another station because of his bad attitude?

I think there is a simpler explanation as to why he is so rude... he's an ass.

Ha - that's funny - that he's worried a listener might change the station! There are no other sports stations for me to listen to when it comes to Buffalo sports! If there were, there'd be a lot fewer people listening to these guys! That answer is a load of crap. I live in Jamestown NY, about 65 miles south of Buffalo, and am a Bills fan, and there is no other station to turn to listen to Bills news/talk. And, as far as that goes, even during the peak of the Football season (I include Combine and draft as very big football times) there is often a great deal lacking in what these guys cover.

I know covering a losing, cheap team for 20 years must be challenging - but, what makes it worse, IMO, is that he appears to be "above" sports to a great degree. He seems to look down on sports and the followers of sports - fans - as if they were all uneducated, unreasonable, boring people with nothing new to say. I think they could do better when it comes to pure sports coverage. A little optimism - a little "what if the Bills did this", or, "How could we do it better" kind of thinking is what a lot of fans want to hear most of the time, IMO. And politeness. I believe being polite to people is a true sign of intelligence. The opposite takes no discipline or restraint.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have liked to seen the Conner ask the to explain their stupid non-sports nonsense they waste airtime on. how about discussing non-buffalo sports stories if you are want a change of pace.

i really try to minimize my exposure to the afternoon between schopp's rude behavior and their stupid actor drafts

Good morning plenz, how are you today? Are preparations for your brother's event moving along?

They are...getting excited for next week. Thank you for asking,

Will updat the other thread as well.

www.kenlenzbenefitfund.com

"People ask me why I'm not friendlier when the call starts. [saying] 'How are you?' is a challenge for me because there's like a clock ticking in my head. If there's three seconds or whatever of that kind of thing, that's plenty of time for people to change the station, and that's my obsession."

The guy doesnt want to take three seconds to say hi in case listeners turn to another station. How many people turn to another station because of his bad attitude?

I think there is a simpler explanation as to why he is so rude... he's an ass.

I too feel that the guy has a bad attitude. He seems like an elitiest personality. A guy that shouldn't have to bother with phone calls. It's the business world buddy. That's your job to take phone calls. Buts his whole demeaning candor in general is disturbing. He feels he has a strong vocabulary and is somewhat smarter than the average bear. Give me a break. It's the attitude that translates. I don't care if you got a 600 on your SATs, If your good with people and you have something interesting to say, I will listen. If your smart and have an attitude, I won't listen. When ever the guy barrades a caller, I turn the station. I'm sick of that crap. There is no need for it. Another interesting note, whenever he interviews someone who has a position of authority or is somewhat important. (GMs, John Clayton etc) he kisses but or perceives to have a different attitude with that style of interview. Just my observations. But at the end of the day, I have one word that I always seem to describe schoop as; Dolt. He is a dolt. Plain and simple.

Doesn't want to waste a second, eh?

That's as stupid and disingenuous as anything that ever came out of that lying a-hole's mouth.

(How many HOURS have those two morons wasted talking about date movies, or 'milk-in-bags', etc.?)

This the first thing that crossed my mind as I read the article this morning. What a phoney.

I would truly like to see Coach Sal Capaccio take his place. However I'm not sure how he would fit along side of Bulldog.

I have heard Sal do more interesting interviews(other than having Sully & Hamilton on 10,000 times a week) in a couple of Saturdays than I have heard out of these two clowns in years.

Does the GM have no expectations for these two? Actually after I finding out that Riter is working there again, I realized there is little thought being given as to how to improve the programming at the station.

Edited by LabattBlue

I agree. Kornheiser has always been the same way. I hate the inane question as well..loks like we are in the minority here.

What are you talking about? Kornheiser doesn't take any callers at all.

I think he is right about not wanting to answer "How are you".

Schoop is NOT ALONE in his disdain for this foolishness. Radio hosts across the country can't stand it, and it really slows down shows. I think Schoop is a jerk, but he is right about this. It is a drag on a show, and completely unnecessary. It happens continuously, caller after caller, and often the idiot caller actually extends the greeting into a personal conversation. You never know which guy will do it, but many will and it really needs to be nipped at the bud.

And how many callers need to be told "We are having a great time tonight, what's your question?" Really? OVER AND OVER, all night long?

BAD RADIO!!!

It isn't the proper time to exchange pleasantries.

I completely disagree. I'm kind of sorry I posted the OP the way I did. I actually DON'T think Schoop is a jerk. I used to, but I think in the last few years (since he got off his Donahoe hate) he's treated both the Bills and Sabres fairly.

However, I do think there is room for two seconds to say How ya doing? Good. It's a salutation used by everybody in conversation. I like the way somebody said above that you wouldn't just see somebody you know in a store and before saying Hi or How are ya? you would say "The Bills sucked yesterday."

I can't recall many times that the pleasantries got extended into something personal, like you are saying happens alot.

Was supportive for many years of station.. It was initially a option to listening to Toronto Sports radio for me . Did get turned off over time for many of the same reason many others have sited. The arrogant edge that is present is simply something I do not care for anywhere , anytime, thankfully with radio I have the option of turning it off and have done so. Seems there is no point voicing any contrary opinion, it is not listened to. What is unfortunate is if this is to continue and listeners fall away, it likely will not be to long that a change in format will be effected and Buffalo and area sports minded people will lose this local sports radio option. Don't see how you allow it to continue Andy .

If you're talking about Andy Roth, he's been gone for awhile now.

I like Howard Simon and sometimes I like the schopp/bulldog show.

Mike's biggest shortcoming is he's moody and he gets frustrated easily. The job of talking about sports every day as your job eventually would become boring and mundane (as would talking about anything THAT much for that long every day) and he's not very good at covering up the fact that he's tired of having the same conversations over and over and over.

Some of us tune in for 30 minutes a week. They broadcast 15 hours a week. We aren't sick of the conversations as listeners or we would change the station, but Schopp isn't built for the casual, once in awhile listener. He expects too much from his callers, like they should be as knowledgeable as he is about the topics, and if they're not he gets hostile. Bulldog usually helps buffer him but being rude to callers is ridiculous.

I'll bet he's a cool guy to have as a neighbor, but when he's off the show is rough. When he's on though, the dude can be funny and engaging.

Actually after I finding out that Riter is working there again, I realized there is little thought being given as to how to improve the programming at the station.

What can you possibly have against Brad Riter? If they bring him back permanently, that is a sign that a LOT of thought is being given into improving the programming.

I like Howard Simon and sometimes I like the schopp/bulldog show.

Mike's biggest shortcoming is he's moody and he gets frustrated easily. The job of talking about sports every day as your job eventually would become boring and mundane (as would talking about anything THAT much for that long every day) and he's not very good at covering up the fact that he's tired of having the same conversations over and over and over.

Some of us tune in for 30 minutes a week. They broadcast 15 hours a week. We aren't sick of the conversations as listeners or we would change the station, but Schopp isn't built for the casual, once in awhile listener. He expects too much from his callers, like they should be as knowledgeable as he is about the topics, and if they're not he gets hostile. Bulldog usually helps buffer him but being rude to callers is ridiculous.

I'll bet he's a cool guy to have as a neighbor, but when he's off the show is rough. When he's on though, the dude can be funny and engaging.

Bingo!

Was supportive for many years of station.. It was initially a option to listening to Toronto Sports radio for me . Did get turned off over time for many of the same reason many others have sited. The arrogant edge that is present is simply something I do not care for anywhere , anytime, thankfully with radio I have the option of turning it off and have done so. Seems there is no point voicing any contrary opinion, it is not listened to. What is unfortunate is if this is to continue and listeners fall away, it likely will not be to long that a change in format will be effected and Buffalo and area sports minded people will lose this local sports radio option. Don't see how you allow it to continue Andy .

What all the dissenters here don't seen to get is that when more people want to listen to someone else, they will be replaced. Radio is a business and the reason these guys are on the air is because they make money for the station. When the vocal minority that doesn't enjoy the show offers more buying power then those of us that enjoy the shows, then they will be replaced.

I've heard plenty of callers to WGR over the years deserving of a little ridicule from the hosts. I'm no huge fan of Schopp, but his act doesn't bother me too much. If it drives you up the wall, then simply don't listen. Seems too many forget they have that option. Don't give me any BS about not having other options in this day and age.

Schopp's act isn't in any way unique, either. Cowherd plays up to the "sophisticated sports guy" audience constantly, even though he sounds like he barely made it out of high school. Easterbrook (whom Schopp cites a lot on his show) has been playing the haughty, intellectual type in print for ages.

I think he is right about not wanting to answer "How are you".

Schoop is NOT ALONE in his disdain for this foolishness. Radio hosts across the country can't stand it, and it really slows down shows. I think Schoop is a jerk, but he is right about this. It is a drag on a show, and completely unnecessary. It happens continuously, caller after caller, and often the idiot caller actually extends the greeting into a personal conversation. You never know which guy will do it, but many will and it really needs to be nipped at the bud.

And how many callers need to be told "We are having a great time tonight, what's your question?" Really? OVER AND OVER, all night long?

BAD RADIO!!!

It isn't the proper time to exchange pleasantries.

I agree with you. It's annoying and unnecessary. I've never heard this Schopp guy, but he seems like a real !@#$.

I listen to dan patrick on occasion and it's annoying when every caller asks "how are ya, dan?"

Edited by cantankerous

The call screener should just tell the callers not to ask how they're doing if it bothers OCD Mike so much

I've actually heard a nervous caller when they go to him say "Hi, how ya doing. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say that."

I agree with you. It's annoying and unnecessary. I've never heard this Schopp guy, but he seems like a real !@#$.

I listen to dan patrick on occasion and it's annoying when every caller asks "how are ya, dan?"

Hello Cantankerous, how are you?

If people on this forum greeted each new poster in a thread, it would be ridiculous. That is the equivalent of what people are doing on the radio. (I anticipate people saying "that would be great, so much more civil" etc., but it wouldn't. It would get annoying). In fact, maybe the polite people here should try that, and see how it wears on them? Every new poster, in every thread. I'm certain even the most polite here would eventually stop that foolishness, but it would be fun to see.

I listen to lots of sports radio. You can hear the annoyance in the voice, and can feel them pushing to get things going, be it JT the Brick, Dan Patrick, or whoever (I know Schoop is a bad example because he is so disliked here). I know it seems small in individual cases, but over and over it's not good radio.

The caller is not there to have a personal conversation, they are in a forum, and there to give an opinion.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

A by product of the Possibility of the Bills leaving town would be the down sizing of WGR and the buffalo news. Who do you think makes the cut and who gets cut out of Schopp Bulldog White Simon Sullivan Graham and Gaughn ??

What can you possibly have against Brad Riter? If they bring him back permanently, that is a sign that a LOT of thought is being given into improving the programming.

While Schoop may not be the best, I too hate phone-call driven sports talk radio...the vast majority of the callers are either mis-informed, or just repeating the same thing over and over...I can feel Schoops frustration. I really hope, for his (Schoop) and our sakes, they don't have Schoop taking calls after Bills games...to me, that is where his melt-down with the callers started, years ago...

btw- I don't dislike Riter at all, but I just don't hear the brilliance that so many attach to him. What am I missing?

I've heard plenty of callers to WGR over the years deserving of a little ridicule from the hosts. I'm no huge fan of Schopp, but his act doesn't bother me too much. If it drives you up the wall, then simply don't listen. Seems too many forget they have that option. Don't give me any BS about not having other options in this day and age.

Schopp's act isn't in any way unique, either. Cowherd plays up to the "sophisticated sports guy" audience constantly, even though he sounds like he barely made it out of high school. Easterbrook (whom Schopp cites a lot on his show) has been playing the haughty, intellectual type in print for ages.

Its not always so cut and dry. I used to listen on my way home from a nightshift and there wasnt anyone else on the car radio talking about the Bills. So it was either listen to the guy i find annoying talk about the Bills or not listen to any Bills talk at all. (Other than the voices in my head - theyre all Bills fans too). Maybe there are other shows out there talking about the Bills in the morning that ive missed?

The call screener should just tell the callers not to ask how they're doing if it bothers OCD Mike so much

That is so simple yet brilliant. In fact everytime someone says hi he should just turn to the screen caller and yell at him instead. Id actually be entertained by that more than him being rude to someone who is nervous on the air and decides by instinct to be polite.

Schopp's WGR personality is a complete fraud, as is all of the other guys' on their shows. He actually was quite normal when I heard him on a national show. WGR pollutes the minds of its personalities and listeners