Carrington and Troup

Pull no punches....

I do think Carrington has shown he can play. I hope he now had developed and adjusted to the speed of the NFL.

I also got to wonder how difficult it is for a player to be on a D with so much turmoil?

I mean they have been switching from 4-3 to 3-4 now back to 4-3. He himself has played 2-3 different positions.

He has always done what is asked.

If he can drop the 20, go back to his more natural weight, and play his more natural position, it stands to reason he will excel.

Lets hope it is the case.

Logical ,realistic answer.

How is Troup injury prone? He played 15 games as a rookie and was injured last year. He was never injured much during college either. Not sure why people think 1 injury makes you injury prone.

I don't focus on him being injury prone. I look at the fact that he fails to make plays. He has been all but worthless since he has been drafted. This draft is said to be deep in DTs. If Troup is cut, it won't upset me a whole hell of a lot, ya know?

I don't focus on him being injury prone. I look at the fact that he fails to make plays. He has been all but worthless since he has been drafted. This draft is said to be deep in DTs. If Troup is cut, it won't upset me a whole hell of a lot, ya know?

+ 100% He's just a guy..... who was drafted waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too early

Buddy's first draft features 0 starters entering their 3rd NFL season. It's interesting to note that even if you exclude Spiller, the 2nd and 3rd round picks will not start. Where's the value and drafting expertise from Nix? He's the type GM who is so-so on draft day, and the team he works for doesn't spend in UFA to make up for it. So you get a host of UDFA's, street FA's, low round draft picks, and low cost UFA's playing when their draft picks can't.

It was his first draft in his first year with the Bills. He wasn't really familiar with the team. I think he showed his capabilities last year. The Bills had a very good draft last year. Lets see what he does this year before U call him out. :wallbash:

Edited by snamsnoops

To keep it short: I like both guys too. I want to see Troup stay healthy for a season, but will be happy to see Carrington get back to his natural 4-3 DE position although I disagree with shedding the bulk b/c he was put in the OLB spot and did "ok" but obviously couldn't keep up with the TE or WR, but will do well as a 3 down DE able to help in the running game to set the edge and quick enough to apply some pressure....not talking 14 sacks or anything, but productive.

I remember reading Chris Brown, I think, or maybe it was BuffaloRumblings, list the carry-overs and their new positions in the Wannstedt defense, and Carrington was listed as the last guy on the depth chart at DE - and I couldn't believe it! I mean, I know he hasn't shown brilliance or been really consistent, but he wasn't asked to be doing the same things a 4-3 DE would be doing, and I for one thought he passed the eye test very well. I'd be shocked if we let him go without giving him a real chance, because if we do another team like the Jets will end up with the next "out of nowhere" player that we couldn't utilize.

As for Troupe - I think 4-3 tackle would be much easier for him, and if he can stay healthy, I think we're set at the tackle position. In fact, I'd love to see Carrington on the RDE spot, making it a very beefy 4-3 line, and a speedster at the other to get after the QB. I really would like to see a bigger version of the 4-3, at least as far as the D-line is concerned, to enable the linebackers to go a little freer about.

It was his first draft in his first year with the Bills. He wasn't really familiar with the team. I think he showed his capabilities last year. The Bills had a very good draft last year. Lets see what he does this year before U call him out. :wallbash:

There isn't much margin for error on draft day for NFL teams, whether it's the GM's first or 30th draft. You don't get mulligans for the draft, and when you swing and miss a lot (2005-2008) it hurts the team in the long run. Even batting .500 on 1st-3rd round picks isn't good enough for a small market team that outright brags about not spending in UFA to mitigate their ineptitude on draft day.

This team needs a Jerry Reese or Ted Thompson, not someone like Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, or perhaps even Buddy Nix.

Carrington bulked up to 304 to play the 5 technique. Bruce cut fat to get down to 270 or so to be a 5 tech 25 years ago. There's a big difference, and it's not a given Carrington can cut muscle. This is the price you pay to jump between defenses 3 times in 4 seasons.

Buddy's first draft features 0 starters entering their 3rd NFL season. It's interesting to note that even if you exclude Spiller, the 2nd and 3rd round picks will not start. Where's the value and drafting expertise from Nix? He's the type GM who is so-so on draft day, and the team he works for doesn't spend in UFA to make up for it. So you get a host of UDFA's, street FA's, low round draft picks, and low cost UFA's playing when their draft picks can't.

+ 1

And look at the age of some of the D roster. The other day I posted, like 11 players on D 30 or over, with 5 or 6 being starters.

How do even the mediocre players get replaced when you can't draft?

We've all been hoping for Nix to turn this thing around, and pending some superb draft in 2012, this roster may be going in reverse

very soon (again). IMO.

There isn't much margin for error on draft day for NFL teams, whether it's the GM's first or 30th draft. You don't get mulligans for the draft, and when you swing and miss a lot (2005-2008) it hurts the team in the long run. Even batting .500 on 1st-3rd round picks isn't good enough for a small market team that outright brags about not spending in UFA to mitigate their ineptitude on draft day.

This team needs a Jerry Reese or Ted Thompson, not someone like Marv Levy, Russ Brandon, or perhaps even Buddy Nix.

Why are you still stuck in 2010? We're all in 2012. Looking back at the last draft, seems like we got at least 4 (if not 5, or even 6) starters. Throw Spiller on that pile, and thats an easy 5-6 starters from 2 drafts. Then you have guys like Batten and White contributing heavily on Special Teams. If Easley can come back, and Carrington provides depth along the DL, they're decent picks as well.

Youre not going to get 7 starters a year. But I get it, you need something to complain about.

Why are you still stuck in 2010? We're all in 2012. Looking back at the last draft, seems like we got at least 4 (if not 5, or even 6) starters. Throw Spiller on that pile, and thats an easy 5-6 starters from 2 drafts. Then you have guys like Batten and White contributing heavily on Special Teams. If Easley can come back, and Carrington provides depth along the DL, they're decent picks as well.

Youre not going to get 7 starters a year. But I get it, you need something to complain about.

2010's (edit: top) draft picks should be outright starters in their 3rd season. Period. Instead they have none, and while Spiller's going to share carries, they didn't get much in rounds 2-3. Those are the places to hit on picks, especially small markets who aren't active in free agency finding quality veteran talent. Troup won't start over Williams or Dareus, and Carrington isn't going to be their base end over the overpaid Chris Kelsay.

I remember this board gaga over Levy's first draft when it looked like Whitner, K. Simpson, Butler, Williams, and Ellison would be long term starters. Now, they have 1 of those guys and 3 are out of the league. And I love that a draft can be declared good after 1 season, but if it doesn't look promising (2010) you don't dare say it was below average.

If's, hopefully's, and maybe's aren't good enough. 2012 is playoffs or bust and the 2010 draft should be a foundation draft. Instead it features a bunch of spare parts.

If the rebuild is going so swimmingly, why does Buffalo have so many needs heading into the personnel acquisition phase of the off-season?

Edited by BillsVet

Not sure you can make a decent assessment of Troup's ability based on what he did last year. Dude was playing with a broken back for cripes sake

2010's (edit: top) draft picks should be outright starters in their 3rd season. Period. Instead they have none, and while Spiller's going to share carries, they didn't get much in rounds 2-3. Those are the places to hit on picks, especially small markets who aren't active in free agency finding quality veteran talent. Troup won't start over Williams or Dareus, and Carrington isn't going to be their base end over the overpaid Chris Kelsay.

I remember this board gaga over Levy's first draft when it looked like Whitner, K. Simpson, Butler, Williams, and Ellison would be long term starters. Now, they have 1 of those guys and 3 are out of the league. And I love that a draft can be declared good after 1 season, but if it doesn't look promising (2010) you don't dare say it was below average.

If's, hopefully's, and maybe's aren't good enough. 2012 is playoffs or bust and the 2010 draft should be a foundation draft. Instead it features a bunch of spare parts.

If the rebuild is going so swimmingly, why does Buffalo have so many needs heading into the personnel acquisition phase of the off-season?

Give hm his third year n see. Or just root for another team. The bills weren't going to be turned around after 1 or 2 years. Not anyways with the team that Buddy inherited. Let the players from his first draft have three years. Also it is early to be judging players that were drafted a year ago its just that the draft was so good u can already tell! GM's dont usually hit that good on every draft, but you atleast hope there are more hits than misses!