Nix: Bills won't reach for a pass-rusher at #10

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Nix-Says-They-Won-t-Reach-for-a-Pass-Rusher/12424329

"We cannot make it happen if it's not there, and that's the thing you've got to keep in mind," Nix said when speaking about the idea of taking a defensive end early. "If we go in and say 'We've got to have a pass rusher,' and we reach down and get one at the tenth pick that we've got graded in the third round, then we're setting ourselves back three or four years."

Nix continued.

"You've got to be disciplined enough where you stay with the integrity of all the work that 15 or 20 people have down for a year, and you don't get excited about trying to fill a need when the player can't play."

So what is it with this year's grouping of defensive ends that makes the Bills so apprehensive with the idea of using their first overall selection on one of them? Nix says it's more about the weaker players up top and the depth of the position later on.

"Pass rusher, or defensive end for us, is probably -- you question, you get a little nervous with the tenth pick," he told WGR. "But in the mid-rounds, it's probably as deep as I've seen it. So from the second round on there will be some guys that can come in and help you quick."

The first round group will likely consist of Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry and maybe a few others. Without naming names, the Bills GM described why he was so nervous about the group at the top.

"There's just some things you over-analyze, probably. You worry about height, you worry about arm length and that kind of thing. Bottom line really, you've got to make yourself come back to production. If he's always done it, there's a good chance he'll do it again."

The Bills have also opined since the end of the 2011 campaign that they'll be more aggressive in free agency this time around.

"Our philosophy, or mine, or ours is that those big money guys that hit the market at 12:01 or midnight, the way it used to be, if you're not careful you'll overspend on those guys and not get what you pay for," Nix started out. "We've been one to think you can pick up good players later on in free agency, and I'm talking about guys like Nick Barnett, receivers that we've picked up. They're out there, and they'll be out there and that's kind of been our philosophy along with building through the draft.

"And when I say we're gonna be aggressive, what I mean is this time if there's a difference maker -- not necessarily a position -- but if there's a guy that can come in here and immediately improve our football team, we'll get in the hunt early this time."

Looks like WR, OT & CB are in play for the 10th pick.

I saw that on billsdaily.com the ending got me a little pumped for FA this year as well. This is a good year esp for WR.

The more and more I think about it if we don't move down it will be LT Martin. Ofcourse Bell signing or not ahs a lot to do with that and i know they are talking with Bell but even if we sign Bell... I know it's crazy but we could still draft Martin. God knows we need depth on this team. Sounds like Buddy thinks he can use his second adn third pick for a passrusher and besides Floyd I don't think a WR that high is worth it.

The more I hear and the more I read, I think it's going to be the OT from Stanford. I will not complain if it's anywhere on the defensive line. If it's a CB, the Bills will lose 5,000 season tickets.

The more I hear and the more I read, I think it's going to be the OT from Stanford. I will not complain if it's anywhere on the defensive line. If it's a CB, the Bills will lose 5,000 season tickets.

I would have no problem if the Bills drafted a OT. The Bills need a solid option at LT if they want to open up the deep passing game. I also would hate it if the Bills used the #10 for someone in the secondary. The Bills have shown over the years that they will not resign CB's/DB's that they drafted in the 1st round (mainly because they're so expensive to re-sign).

I saw that on billsdaily.com the ending got me a little pumped for FA this year as well. This is a good year esp for WR.

The more and more I think about it if we don't move down it will be LT Martin. Ofcourse Bell signing or not ahs a lot to do with that and i know they are talking with Bell but even if we sign Bell... I know it's crazy but we could still draft Martin. God knows we need depth on this team. Sounds like Buddy thinks he can use his second adn third pick for a passrusher and besides Floyd I don't think a WR that high is worth it.

I think even if they resign Bell theres a VERY good chance they still draft Martin if available...need depth, need tackles, I know they love Pears but being able to play Martin at either RT or LT would be nice (until Bell gets hurt in week 3 and Martin moves over to LT and Pears slips back in as starting RT)

http://wgr550.com/Bills--Nix-Says-They-Won-t-Reach-for-a-Pass-Rusher/12424329

"We cannot make it happen if it's not there, and that's the thing you've got to keep in mind," Nix said when speaking about the idea of taking a defensive end early. "If we go in and say 'We've got to have a pass rusher,' and we reach down and get one at the tenth pick that we've got graded in the third round, then we're setting ourselves back three or four years."

Nix continued.

"You've got to be disciplined enough where you stay with the integrity of all the work that 15 or 20 people have down for a year, and you don't get excited about trying to fill a need when the player can't play."

So what is it with this year's grouping of defensive ends that makes the Bills so apprehensive with the idea of using their first overall selection on one of them? Nix says it's more about the weaker players up top and the depth of the position later on.

"Pass rusher, or defensive end for us, is probably -- you question, you get a little nervous with the tenth pick," he told WGR. "But in the mid-rounds, it's probably as deep as I've seen it. So from the second round on there will be some guys that can come in and help you quick."

The first round group will likely consist of Quinton Coples, Melvin Ingram, Courtney Upshaw, Nick Perry and maybe a few others. Without naming names, the Bills GM described why he was so nervous about the group at the top.

"There's just some things you over-analyze, probably. You worry about height, you worry about arm length and that kind of thing. Bottom line really, you've got to make yourself come back to production. If he's always done it, there's a good chance he'll do it again."

The Bills have also opined since the end of the 2011 campaign that they'll be more aggressive in free agency this time around.

"Our philosophy, or mine, or ours is that those big money guys that hit the market at 12:01 or midnight, the way it used to be, if you're not careful you'll overspend on those guys and not get what you pay for," Nix started out. "We've been one to think you can pick up good players later on in free agency, and I'm talking about guys like Nick Barnett, receivers that we've picked up. They're out there, and they'll be out there and that's kind of been our philosophy along with building through the draft.

"And when I say we're gonna be aggressive, what I mean is this time if there's a difference maker -- not necessarily a position -- but if there's a guy that can come in here and immediately improve our football team, we'll get in the hunt early this time."

Looks like WR, OT & CB are in play for the 10th pick.

Nix has a grasp on how to run a football operation. The focus isn't on positions so much as a focus on talent. The Bills have numerous needs. No one doubts it. If anything can be learned from the inept Levy/Jauron regime it is that desperatiely reaching for needs is a losing proposition. What Nix has brought to the table to this very troubled Wilson franchise is an understanding of the relationship of talent evaluation to value (contracts).

Compare the clueless Levy bringing in mediocre talents such as Dockery and Langston Walker and paying them at an elite level to how Nix/Whaley brought in players such as Urbik, Rhinehart and Pears and paid them at a more reasonable rate. There is no doubt that the team under the newly installed Levy was desperate for an infusion of OL help. But overpaying for such middling talent didin't really upgrade the line and it sunk a lot of wasted money on players that were soon dispatched.

If Nix's draft board has a couple of OTs (Rieff and Martin) rated higher than the defensive players on the board then he should trust his board and take the higher rated players. Nix has brought in some order and methodology to the way the football operation is being run. As long as the business side of Wilson's business allows Nix to do his job without much hinderance the franchise will continue to move in the right direction.

I think even if they resign Bell theres a VERY good chance they still draft Martin if available...need depth, need tackles, I know they love Pears but being able to play Martin at either RT or LT would be nice (until Bell gets hurt in week 3 and Martin moves over to LT and Pears slips back in as starting RT)

They do have Hairison as well they played great and is young but still we can sure up this line with one pick in this draft for many years. Use the rest on DL and CB. Get a WR in FA seeing as their are a massive amount of them out there.

Nix has a grasp on how to run a football operation. The focus isn't on positions so much as a focus on talent. The Bills have numerous needs. No one doubts it. If anything can be learned from the inept Levy/Jauron regime it is that desperatiely reaching for needs is a losing proposition. What Nix has brought to the table to this very troubled Wilson franchise is an understanding of the relationship of talent evaluation to value (contracts).

Compare the clueless Levy bringing in mediocre talents such as Dockery and Langston Walker and paying them at an elite level to how Nix/Whaley brought in players such as Urbik, Rhinehart and Pears and paid them at a more reasonable rate. There is no doubt that the team under the newly installed Levy was desperate for an infusion of OL help. But overpaying for such middling talent didin't really upgrade the line and it sunk a lot of wasted money on players that were soon dispatched.

If Nix's draft board has a couple of OTs (Rieff and Martin) rated higher than the defensive players on the board then he should trust his board and take the higher rated players. Nix has brought in some order and methodology to the way the football operation is being run. As long as the business side of Wilson's business allows Nix to do his job without much hinderance the franchise will continue to move in the right direction.

Great post!! I agree with everything you said. Jauron/Levy/Brandon overpaid for sub-par/mediocre players (Dockery, Walker, Tripplett), drafted crappy players (which included trading up for a very crappy player - McCargo).

With all the years of terrible drafts (especially 1st round busts), no one wants to see the Bills reach on a draft pick (Whitner, McCargo) or draft another bust.

I like this post quite a bit (not surprised).

The only thing I would like to add to it is that imo, under NO conditions should they waste another early pick on a RB or DB. The Bills do not sign (generally speaking) marquee free agents. Their best resources are their draft picks, and let's be honest, this is a franchise that REALLY needs to click when they step up to the podium.

I truly hope that they can keep SJ, and prevent the need for a wr in round 1. I think that if we lose him, the need for flash and ticket sales will weigh heavy. This of course is jmo.

If they do things right and get lucky, I can actually see the possibility of a wild card. How cool would that be? :thumbsup:

... The Bills do not sign (generally speaking) marquee free agents. Their best resources are their draft picks, and let's be honest, this is a franchise that REALLY needs to click when they step up to the podium.

I truly hope that they can keep SJ, and prevent the need for a wr in round 1. I think that if we lose him, the need for flash and ticket sales will weigh heavy. This of course is jmo.

Nix has made been absolutely EXPLICIT: THEY WILL BE AGGRESSIVE in FA THIS YEAR.

I don't understand why noone wants to believe him - he's been point-blank up front about this for months now.

He's going hard after difference makers starting at 12:01am when FA opens. He just spelled it out again today.

He said they haven't in the past - and won't most of the time as a general rule - but will do so this year.

Because they think they are that close to being a playoff team.

They intend to re-sign Stevie AND add another stud WR - he's already said that mroe than once now too.

Edited by BobChalmers

I would have no problem if the Bills drafted a OT. The Bills need a solid option at LT if they want to open up the deep passing game.

They also need a QB that can throw deep with accuracy... ;)

Not just your opinion Bill...I think if The Bills somehow lose Stevie they have a PR nightmare on their hands...It's gonna get ugly... B-)

Isn't calling Levy clueless the Bills version of sacrilegious!

Not just your opinion Bill...I think if The Bills somehow lose Stevie they have a PR nightmare on their hands...It's gonna get ugly... B-)

Before Fitz's rib injury, he did have deep throw accuracy (Fitz & Owens share the club record with a 98 yard TD reception).

If the Bills lose Stevie, they'll need 2 WR's (and have a big PR nightmare!!)

Switching the DraftTek Team Needs a bit on this one to see what happens as a result.

OT=P2

WR=P2

CB=P2

OLB43=P2 (these four positions are equal in priority; take the BPA of those guys)

DE=P3 M4 (take more than one DE; don't reach in RD1)

QB=P4

ILB=P6

FS=P6

SS=P6

All 3-4 players and RB=P9

I agree with everyting Nix said in the interview from Draft to FA, and damn glad to hear it!! All of it!! The evluation of talent and some explanation of how the last couple drafts have gone along with their approach in FA this year. It's almost as if they've been waiting for a year to be "aggressive" as if they knew it was going to take a couple of years to get the team in place where they felt they were just a few key pieces away from being legitmate contenders and this shows me they believe the BILLS are now "there"; the place in rebuilding mode where they are within striking distance of being taken seriously....a couple good FAs and another solid Draft and this team becomes a team not only fun to watch but "worth" tracking through the year...

I don't understand why noone wants to believe him - he's been point-blank up front about this for months now.

He's going hard after difference makers starting at 12:01am when FA opens. He just spelled it out again today.

He said they haven't in the past - and won't most of the time as a general rule - but will do so this year.

Because they think they are that close to being a playoff team.

They intend to re-sign Stevie AND add another stud WR - he's already said that mroe than once now too.

1. Fee agency starts at 4pm this year, not 12am.

2. We don't believe budy because he doesn't control the purse strings. Buddy can wish and want to sign all the free agents h wants, but its doubtful that littman, overdouche, and ralphie will let him spend the required amount of $.

Because Ralph said to expect pain, and he was right. Last season was the most painful in Bills history.