US Men's National soccer

LewPort71

It has been a long time coming but the USA Men's National soccer team

defeated the Italian team by a 1--0 score.

Clint Dempsey scored the US goal.

It was a friendly match, but a nice symbolic win.

(I didn't look at the roster... did Italy put their third-stringers out there?)

Ajzepp would know this

I honestly totally missed the game, but Italy was without a few of their top players, but we were as well, from what I understand. I did read that Jozy Altidore has grown a TON under Herr Klinsmann so far, and his game is becoming more complete. He had the assist to Dempsey for the game winner, I believe.

Even without Italy's top guys, though, this is a statement win for us. We've never beat them from what I understand...EVER. So while we can't make more of it than it was, it's without question a sign that our approach is already evolving under Klinsi. I have no doubt that this team will become a solid contender on the world stage within the next 2-4 years. I know not everyone is behind Klinsmann, but give me a break...the guy brings more credibility to the position than we've ever had, save for maybe Bruce Arena. But I'd take Klinsmann over Arena any day. There will be some growing pains, but I love that we pulled this off. Kudos to the USMNT!!!

For the most part, Italy fielded a real good team. It wasn't exactly their A team as they did have a few youngsters playing but the US was also in the same boat missing Donovan, Jones, Onyewu, Chandler and Torres. All five would have likely started based on the pre-match buildup.

As for the game itself, execution is still an issue but the build up was much better for the US. They had more than a few chances but couldn't get good shots off. That said, they played a defensive powerhouse.

Three things came out of this game:

1. Clint Dempsey is clinical. He keeps getting better with age. I think we've seen the last of him at Fulham. I have to think a big club is going to want him in the offseason.
  2. Michael Bradley is a world class player. One of the best games I've seen from a US player against a quality opponent. Joining the Italian League where they breed defensive midfielders was a great career move.
  3. With the infusion of the German-American players, the US finally has depth at most positions. When healthy, we should be competitive against the world's best.

For the most part, Italy fielded a real good team. It wasn't exactly their A team as they did have a few youngsters playing but the US was also in the same boat missing Donovan, Jones, Onyewu, Chandler and Torres. All five would have likely started based on the pre-match buildup.

As for the game itself, execution is still an issue but the build up was much better for the US. They had more than a few chances but couldn't get good shots off. That said, they played a defensive powerhouse.

1. Clint Dempsey is clinical. He keeps getting better with age. I think we've seen the last of him at Fulham. I have to think a big club is going to want him in the offseason.
  2. Michael Bradley is a world class player. One of the best games I've seen from a US player against a quality opponent. Joining the Italian League where they breed defensive midfielders was a great career move.
  3. With the infusion of the German-American players, the US finally has depth at most positions. When healthy, we should be competitive against the world's best.

See, this is one of the worst points about soccer. Teams are like, "We've got a guy who's good? Well, definitely, let's NOT keep him and win matches --- let's sell 'im for MILLIONS!!"

Stevestojan(!), even baseball has talent spread out more than soccer.

Italy was dominant for most of the game but something the US has been weak at is defense in the past and the defense held up under a lot of pressure late.

82 years coming--the US is breaking through bit by bit. Nowhere near a top team yet but little victories like making the world cup, taking one from Italy, etc. show that it's only a matter of time. For us at home, I hope the MLS can get enough $ that we can keep a few more of our homegrown stars here in the next decade.

11 days to DOOP day.

Edited by John Adams

The best part of our soccer team winning is that it is probably the 5th or 6th sport in this country while it is everyone else's #1. If guys like Kobe, Rondo, Welker, etc. grew up playing soccer, we would dominant the sport.

But congrats to the guys who weren't big or tough to play football. :devil: Seriously, it's a great win for soccer in this country.

The, as always, statement on my opinion of soccer. It's lame and about as sissy as male nurses. :)

I saw soccer on the other day and thought about it compared to swimming. If soccer could get around a Michael Phelps type player or a solid crew of the all-American team it'd help. You know, the harass tough guys, the provocateur, the aging vet, the young face, and the blue collar guy with a chip on his shoulder ... sadly, those stories are probably out there and we do not know them. Either way, I hope team USA kicks arse bennbbhhhcause it'll

The, as always, statement on my opinion of soccer. It's lame and about as sissy as male nurses. :)

damn bastarge!! :nana:

But congrats to the guys who weren't big or tough to play football. :devil:

Now this is an excellent example of the level of soccer cracks that we expect around here...well done, my friend :D

What about Altidore? Did you see the same progress with his game that others have seen? I've read a few accounts now that indicate his game is becoming much more complete.

• 4 weeks later...

Another embarrassment by the US men's soccer team. Failing to qualify for the Olympics? Losing to a country with a GDP smaller than a monthly welfare check? Way to go guys! Soccer is on the way up here in the States!

Another embarrassment by the US men's soccer team. Failing to qualify for the Olympics? Losing to a country with a GDP smaller than a monthly welfare check? Way to go guys! Soccer is on the way up here in the States!

It's not our USNMT...it's a youth team...the U-20 or U-23 team, if I'm not mistaken. Klinsmann isn't involved, it's a division I college coach.

It's not our USNMT...it's a youth team...the U-20 or U-23 team, if I'm not mistaken. Klinsmann isn't involved, it's a division I college coach.

Hey, hey, don't let details cloud your judgement. :lol:

Ramius probably can't tell us the difference between Olympic and World Cup soccer.

Ramius probably can't tell us the difference between Olympic and World Cup soccer.

At least the thread got a bump :lol:

So the next "generation" of kickballers are just as invalid as the current one?

Difference? A bunch of uncoordinated people chase a ball around for 90 minutes ending in a 0-0 tie and the US loses to some 3rd world country, all the while kickball fans are tellign everyone that soccer is "on the rise."

The only difference is whether the one team to score a goal gets a medal or trophy at the end.

I guess I'm not as bothered by it as others...I can't even remember the last time I watched olympic soccer.

So the next "generation" of kickballers are just as invalid as the current one?

Did soccer sleep with your mom? I don't remember you being this enthusiastic about your soccer hate.

I guess I'm not as bothered by it as others...I can't even remember the last time I watched olympic soccer.

Did soccer sleep with your mom? I don't remember you being this enthusiastic about your soccer hate.

I don't hate the women's team. They actually have talent. The men are just consistently failure after failure.