Take the Wonderlic

section122

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can some of you disagree that the words preserve and reserve are similar in meaning?

Well, I've been to a game preserve, and my mother used to make strawberry preserves when I was a kid. And I reserved a table at a restaurant this weekend...

Last I checked, nouns and verbs are very dissimilar in meaning. :rolleyes:

I have seen those before or it probably would have gotten me as well. Things like swapping of "ie" and "ei" are easy to overlook if you don't know to specifically look for stuff like that.

You read 'em backwards. Old proofreading trick. The brain's trained (presuming you're literate in an alphabetic language) to chunk letters into digraphs or trigraphs when reading. When you look at them backwards, you break that pattern, and see the differences easier.

Well, I've been to a game preserve, and my mother used to make strawberry preserves when I was a kid. And I reserved a table at a restaurant this weekend...

Last I checked, nouns and verbs are very dissimilar in meaning. :rolleyes:

All your examples involve commodities that were either set aside or someone acted to set aside. Preserves differs in that it applies to something in it's original or unchanged state. How are the definitions of preserve and reserve so dissimilar? Certainly they can refer to very different commodities.

re·serve/riˈzərv/Verb: Refrain from using or disposing of (something); retain for future use.

Noun: A supply of a commodity not needed for immediate use but available if required.

Synonyms: verb. book - keep - retain - save

noun. reservation - stock - store - restraint

pre·serve/priˈzərv/Verb: Maintain (something) in its original or existing state.

Noun: Food made with fruit preserved in sugar, such as jam or marmalade.

Synonyms: verb. keep - maintain - conserve - protect - save - retain

noun. jam - reserve - reservation

Edited by GaryPinC

All your examples involve commodities that were either set aside or someone acted to set aside. Preserves differs in that it applies to something in it's original or unchanged state. How are the definitions of preserve and reserve so dissimilar? Certainly they can refer to very different commodities.

re·serve/riˈzərv/Verb: Refrain from using or disposing of (something); retain for future use.

Noun: A supply of a commodity not needed for immediate use but available if required.

Synonyms: verb. book - keep - retain - save

noun. reservation - stock - store - restraint

pre·serve/priˈzərv/Verb: Maintain (something) in its original or existing state.

Noun: Food made with fruit preserved in sugar, such as jam or marmalade.

Synonyms: verb. keep - maintain - conserve - protect - save - retain

noun. jam - reserve - reservation

even the common usage verb definitions really arent similar in meaning at all.substitute one word for the other in a sentence and it distinctly changes the meaning.

I gotta agree with those suggesting it can't be right. 10 of the 12 can be answered in 1-2 minutes with minimal brain strain. If you got a calculator the other two aren't that tough. A little more time with pencil and paper. As nobody knows who I am.....I aint braggin'.

even the common usage verb definitions really arent similar in meaning at all.substitute one word for the other in a sentence and it distinctly changes the meaning.

Ok, I understand, for example, that reserving strawberries and preserving strawberries has different meaning but it's a similar act (setting something aside for later use). For both words the verb refers to an action taken on a commodity and the noun refers to the act that was done to the commodity. "Preserving strawberries" and "making strawberry preserves" refers to the same commodities so in this case even the noun and the verb are very similar in meaning which is why I was questioning DC Tom's assertion that they are very dissimilar.

I'm certainly not saying the words have the same meaning. Additional steps can be needed to properly "preserve" a commodity although if a particular commodity does not require additional steps and will not change over time "preserve" and "reserve" can be used interchangeably.

After considering all this I agree with the test answer, these words are more similar than dissimilar. Seems like an exception to the rule but I was curious why you feel these 2 words are so dissimilar (does a distinct difference=dissimilar)?

I gotta agree with those suggesting it can't be right. 10 of the 12 can be answered in 1-2 minutes with minimal brain strain. If you got a calculator the other two aren't that tough. A little more time with pencil and paper. As nobody knows who I am.....I aint braggin'.

I think the focus of this test is to test mental acuity more so than absolute intelligence. As others have said, time is the most important factor here not the difficulty of the questions. I think any high schooler should be able to answer these questions given enough time to work through them.

ive taken an official (50 questions in 12(?) minutes) as a first day of class time filler activity before. totally unprepared, not serious about it and gotten mid 40s.

they say that 20 equates to about a 100 iq which is about average intelligence.

it really does make you wonder how a guy like CJ scored so low, with months to prep, and knowing that its part (albeit not a huge part) of his biggest interview of his life.... while being an honors student, early graduate etc... that comes across as more than just funneling a kid through to give him so many forms of recognition. my best guess is some sort of learning disability --- not to start a rumor or anything. just thinking outloud.

I'm shocked that C.J. Spiller was an honors student. I follow him on Twitter; the guy can't spell well and capitalizes random words.

The test is from the Wonderlic people. They gave a sample to the walterfootball site.

It shouldn't really surprise anyone that took it that we did well. First we all took it willingly which says we were confident in our abilities. Second we aren't d-1 athletes whose primary focus is not education but athletics. Playing sports in college is hard. It takes up a lot of time and doesn't leave much free time for anything least of all studying. It is very much a job and saps the fun out of it for some guys. Plus some (not all) athletes are just big dumb meatheads so them doing poorly on this test shouldn't come as a surprise haha.

This is ironic.

I'm a private school teacher who does a lot of learning style and admissions testing, and have to weigh in on this. The Wonderlic isn't authentic and predictive enough.

The challenge for test preparers is to make the test authentic (as similar to the tasks you'll be asking the test-taker to do) and predictive (If your learning environment is lecture, you'll want to give a test of Memory for Sentences, because the results will be predictive of whether the test-taker can handle the auditory and language load.

In football, an authentic, predictive cognitive measure of football players' success might include:

- short-term memory for plays ("Repeat this for me: 'Z-slot right, Y go, 2 pass option right on 3' ")

- working memory (Say these letters in order, then the numbers in order: 3K9B5X

- listening comprehension

etc.

Astro

I have seen those before or it probably would have gotten me as well. Things like swapping of "ie" and "ei" are easy to overlook if you don't know to specifically look for stuff like that.

especially when they tell you to specifically look for stuff like that

I did 10 for 12 in 4 minutes...but this test wasn't completely cake. Add the fact that those taking it are under insane pressure and these questions are a lot more challenging. Sitting on your duff with nothing to lose, most people still can't score perfect....now imagine millions of dollars and your future livelihood at stake. I could see this thing being terrifying. All of that said, anyone who can't get at least a double digit final score should be sterilized.

yeah- too bad their agents don't prep them with sample tests before the combine

surprising college kids with this test is just not fair

Edited by spartacus

Ok, I understand, for example, that reserving strawberries and preserving strawberries has different meaning but it's a similar act (setting something aside for later use). For both words the verb refers to an action taken on a commodity and the noun refers to the act that was done to the commodity. "Preserving strawberries" and "making strawberry preserves" refers to the same commodities so in this case even the noun and the verb are very similar in meaning which is why I was questioning DC Tom's assertion that they are very dissimilar.

I'm certainly not saying the words have the same meaning. Additional steps can be needed to properly "preserve" a commodity although if a particular commodity does not require additional steps and will not change over time "preserve" and "reserve" can be used interchangeably.

After considering all this I agree with the test answer, these words are more similar than dissimilar. Seems like an exception to the rule but I was curious why you feel these 2 words are so dissimilar (does a distinct difference=dissimilar)?

I'll preserve judgement on this debate.

I'm a private school teacher who does a lot of learning style and admissions testing, and have to weigh in on this. The Wonderlic isn't authentic and predictive enough.

The challenge for test preparers is to make the test authentic (as similar to the tasks you'll be asking the test-taker to do) and predictive (If your learning environment is lecture, you'll want to give a test of Memory for Sentences, because the results will be predictive of whether the test-taker can handle the auditory and language load.

In football, an authentic, predictive cognitive measure of football players' success might include:

- short-term memory for plays ("Repeat this for me: 'Z-slot right, Y go, 2 pass option right on 3' ")

- working memory (Say these letters in order, then the numbers in order: 3K9B5X

- listening comprehension

etc.

Astro

I think your looking too deep into it. GMs aren't saying "oh a 16, awful- let's jump on the guy with a 33 cause he should be an all-pro"

Like I was saying earlier, it's more of a rough scale of "do we have to dig deeper on this guy, or should he be more or less ok"

How fast you process data? Whether you care enough to get ready? In a sense it is like anything else at the combine - it gives you a sense of if you need to dig deeper on a guy.

Check out this list of past Wonderlic scores.

http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2011/03/qb-wonderlic-scores.html

There seems to be no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success. For instance, Jim Kelly scored a 15 (never known to be intelligent, but in the HOF) yet others who scored very well are unknown. Jason Maas scored a 43. Jason Who?

Therefore, I would conclude the Wonderlic is basically useless.

Check out this list of past Wonderlic scores.

http://www.nflstatanalysis.net/2011/03/qb-wonderlic-scores.html

There seems to be no correlation between Wonderlic scores and NFL success. For instance, Jim Kelly scored a 15 (never known to be intelligent, but in the HOF) yet others who scored very well are unknown. Jason Maas scored a 43. Jason Who?

Therefore, I would conclude the Wonderlic is basically useless.

Thanks for the insight. I bet you see the same with 40 times, bench etc.... Outside of crazy outliers. There's a purpose but I think your missing it. It's not about 15 and you suck, 43 and your great.

i must add though... we are not football players nor do we have that pressure of this test. Does this really change a lot on how you get drafted... to some maybe, but honestly the people who take this have a lot of pressure on them because this is the start of their lives. So that's why if they get high points that means they can actually think when they have some much riding on them. The questions are easy to us because we can care less and the only bragging rights we have is that we are smart than some hall of famers.

i must add though... we are not football players nor do we have that pressure of this test. Does this really change a lot on how you get drafted... to some maybe, but honestly the people who take this have a lot of pressure on them because this is the start of their lives. So that's why if they get high points that means they can actually think when they have some much riding on them. The questions are easy to us because we can care less and the only bragging rights we have is that we are smart than some hall of famers.

No. A 10 is like forgetting your name on the SATs