Take the Wonderlic

section122

We see every year players do well and others do poorly on the wonderlic. I thought it would be fun to post a link and see where people fell on the score. It's a fun little experiment that may or may not put a little perspective into how you feel about players scores. The instruction are on the page as well as a link to the answers and how to score it.

I got 10 out of 12 in the 5 minutes. I didnt have time to figure out one of the word problems and got the one I did work out wrong (numbers 9 and 10). So I ended up with a 41 out of 50. Take it post your scores, compare, and enjoy!

http://www.walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

I got 11 out of 12 in about 10 minutes.

This test cant be right, it was way too easy. Any high school student planning on taking the SAT should be able to get a 50.

Its a 5 minute time limit. Getting the right answers isnt neccesarily the hard part its doing it in the time alloted.

I can see why Fitz scored so high. Not exactly rocket science. Only ones that required thought were 9 and 10. Question 8 is exactly the type I am helping my fifth grader do for his homework now :)

That being said I did miss one in the 5 minutes, number 9 for a score of 46. :wallbash:

Marino 16 and Mcnabb 14 huh. I guess you don't need to have a brain to be a good QB after all.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I can see why Fitz scored so high. Not exactly rocket science. Only ones that required thought were 9 and 10. Question 8 is exactly the type I am helping my fifth grader do for his homework now :)

That being said I did miss one in the 5 minutes, number 9 for a score of 46. :wallbash:

Marino 16 and Mcnabb 14 huh. I guess you don't need to have a brain to be a good QB after all.

3 minutes number 9 wrong too lol :wallbash: . This is way easier than I thought it would be.

This test cant be right, it was way too easy. Any high school student planning on taking the SAT should be able to get a 50.

Sure, most high school kids are really smart and can answer word problems involving math. I respectfully disagree. These questions are "easy" for many of us and easier than many SAT questions. However, that does not mean "any high school kids planning on taking the SAT should be able to get a 50 [perfect score]"

shouldve taken your extra 2 minutes :nana::flirt:0:)

ive taken an official (50 questions in 12(?) minutes) as a first day of class time filler activity before. totally unprepared, not serious about it and gotten mid 40s.

they say that 20 equates to about a 100 iq which is about average intelligence.

it really does make you wonder how a guy like CJ scored so low, with months to prep, and knowing that its part (albeit not a huge part) of his biggest interview of his life.... while being an honors student, early graduate etc... that comes across as more than just funneling a kid through to give him so many forms of recognition. my best guess is some sort of learning disability --- not to start a rumor or anything. just thinking outloud.

Not sure why the time allotted per question is so much greater on this sample test than the ones the actual players take.

The sample quiz is 12 questions at 5 minutes (300 seconds) or 25 seconds allotted for each answer

Player test is 50 questions at 12 minutes (720 seconds) or 14.4 seconds per answer

This sample test of 12 questions should allow only 3 minutes time to be more similar to the NFL prospect test.

i got 11 of 12.....

i call bullchit on the one i missed....lol

Question #4 - should be closer to answer #3.

Same here. #4 was just a bad question...are you comparing verbs (in which case they may be similar) or nouns (in which case they can be completely different)?

I did it in about three minutes.

Time is the challenge not finding the answer.

THIS.

it seems to me that the time constraints help measure confidence and decisiveness just as much as the content of the questions measure intelligence.

it really is more akin to playing jeopardy than taking the SAT or an IQ test. scoring well not only shows you know your stuff, but that you are confident in your ability to get it right and move on.

perhaps it says something about being cool under pressure, too, but i remain unconvinced that the wonderlic by itself is all that valuable as an indicator of football success.

i got 11 of 12.....

i call bullchit on the one i missed....lol

Question #4 - should be closer to answer #3.

I got 10 of 12 in 5 minutes, I skipped number 9 and I thought the exact same thing about question 4 lol...

I call bullchit on this whole test. I'm a naturally good test taker (doesn't mean I'm smart), but I don't see how any non retarded person could get less than half of the answers right. How did guys like Vince Young even graduate high school, if this was really similar to his test, and he scored a 7... out of 50.

I also don't see this as having any strong correlation to success on the field.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Not sure why the time allotted per question is so much greater on this sample test than the ones the actual players take.

The sample quiz is 12 questions at 5 minutes (300 seconds) or 25 seconds allotted for each answer

Player test is 50 questions at 12 minutes (720 seconds) or 14.4 seconds per answer

This sample test of 12 questions should allow only 3 minutes time to be more similar to the NFL prospect test.

i assume on the actual test, there are a lot more of the easier rapid fire ?s that should take 2 or 3 seconds or not much more.

on the sample - i would say 9 of the 12 questions take only a few seconds apiece. 3 of them took a little more time each to read and do the math. you've got 75% of ?s taking at most about 25%% of your time in the sample.

that ratio is probably the same for the actual test. what i'm saying is you get less time extrapolated because there's more easy questions. i think the total time is adjusted as such. they aren't measuring time per ? equally.

How can some of you disagree that the words preserve and reserve are similar in meaning?

And half of the test was math problems. I can definitley see why allowing only 25 seconds per problem would cause a lot of people difficulty. It's not what most of these guys do on a regular basis. I'm sure it would take most of us longer to memorized a playbook than your average player too.

We see every year players do well and others do poorly on the wonderlic. I thought it would be fun to post a link and see where people fell on the score. It's a fun little experiment that may or may not put a little perspective into how you feel about players scores. The instruction are on the page as well as a link to the answers and how to score it.

I got 10 out of 12 in the 5 minutes. I didnt have time to figure out one of the word problems and got the one I did work out wrong (numbers 9 and 10). So I ended up with a 41 out of 50. Take it post your scores, compare, and enjoy!

http://www.walterfootball.com/draftwonderlic.php

10 out of 12 in 4 minutes

How can some of you disagree that the words preserve and reserve are similar in meaning?

I would consider it to be somewhat of a judgement call, and personally don't consider their meanings very similar.

"augment" and "change" have similar meanings. Preserve and Reserve sound alike, but I don't think the meanings are that similar.

I selected 3. "neither the same nor the opposite". Preserve and Reserve do not mean the same thing, or the opposite, so I considered my answer correct.

I am obviously wrong though, according to the test.

Definition of RESERVE

transitive verb

a : to hold in reserve : keep back <reserve grain for seed>

b : to set aside (part of the consecrated elements) at the Eucharist for future use

c : to retain or hold over to a future time or place : defer <reserve one's judgment on a plan>

d : to make legal reservation of

: to set or have set aside or apart <reserve a hotel room>

— re·serv·able adjective

See reserve defined for English-language learners »

See reserve defined for kids »

Definition of PRESERVE

transitive verb

: to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : protect

a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay

b : maintain

a : to keep or save from decomposition

b : to can, pickle, or similarly prepare for future use

4 : to keep up and reserve for personal or special use

Edited by Turbosrrgood

It looks like this board is filled with Geniuses! :worthy:

Or nerds that take test for fun! :devil:

Definition of RESERVE

transitive verb

a : to hold in reserve : keep back <reserve grain for seed>

b : to set aside (part of the consecrated elements) at the Eucharist for future use

c : to retain or hold over to a future time or place : defer <reserve one's judgment on a plan>

d : to make legal reservation of

: to set or have set aside or apart <reserve a hotel room>

— re·serv·able adjective

See reserve defined for English-language learners »

See reserve defined for kids »

Definition of PRESERVE

transitive verb

: to keep safe from injury, harm, or destruction : protect

a : to keep alive, intact, or free from decay

b : maintain

a : to keep or save from decomposition

b : to can, pickle, or similarly prepare for future use

: to keep up and reserve for personal or special use

I think they are fairly similar with the two I highlighted jmo

Edited by section122

It looks like this board is filled with Geniuses! :worthy:

Or nerds that take test for fun! :devil:

Or more likely that test simply isn't a good representation of the real wonderlic test

Yeah I obviously must be wrong, just explaining my rational.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Or more likely that test simply isn't a good representation of the real wonderlic test

The test is from the Wonderlic people. They gave a sample to the walterfootball site.

It shouldn't really surprise anyone that took it that we did well. First we all took it willingly which says we were confident in our abilities. Second we aren't d-1 athletes whose primary focus is not education but athletics. Playing sports in college is hard. It takes up a lot of time and doesn't leave much free time for anything least of all studying. It is very much a job and saps the fun out of it for some guys. Plus some (not all) athletes are just big dumb meatheads so them doing poorly on this test shouldn't come as a surprise haha.

10 out of 12 in the five minutes. The word problems got me, comparing names almost got me. Fun little exercise.

I have seen those before or it probably would have gotten me as well. Things like swapping of "ie" and "ei" are easy to overlook if you don't know to specifically look for stuff like that.

The test is from the Wonderlic people. They gave a sample to the walterfootball site.

It shouldn't really surprise anyone that took it that we did well. First we all took it willingly which says we were confident in our abilities. Second we aren't d-1 athletes whose primary focus is not education but athletics. Playing sports in college is hard. It takes up a lot of time and doesn't leave much free time for anything least of all studying. It is very much a job and saps the fun out of it for some guys. Plus some (not all) athletes are just big dumb meatheads so them doing poorly on this test shouldn't come as a surprise haha.

right but when you get down to it - some of the noteworthy bad scores like VY are lower than if you should anticipate if you just guessed on the multiple choice - ie there are likely serious literacy issues with anyone at about 10 or below. 10-20 likely indicates either below average basic intelligence or some sort of learning disability. ill buy your reasoning for why they arent all getting 40+ but for some entire position groups the average is about 15 - thats more than "i was busy at practice for games."

like i said before, 20 is average for the general public and these are all high school grads with atleast a few years of college. it should be shocking how bad a lot of the scores are.

right but when you get down to it - some of the noteworthy bad scores like VY are lower than if you should anticipate if you just guessed on the multiple choice - ie there are likely serious literacy issues with anyone at about 10 or below. 10-20 likely indicates either below average basic intelligence or some sort of learning disability. ill buy your reasoning for why they arent all getting 40+ but for some entire position groups the average is about 15 - thats more than "i was busy at practice for games."

like i said before, 20 is average for the general public and these are all high school grads with atleast a few years of college. it should be shocking how bad a lot of the scores are.

I am going to give it to my 13 year old and 11 year olds tonight just to see how they do. I expect them to miss those 2 word problems but I suspect they will get most of the others right.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I think a lot of it is want too as well. Did VY care about his wonderlic? probably not. He may also be dumb as a box of rocks and more than likely didn't care about the test. It should be shocking, you are correct, but I don't think it is because of the stereotype of the dumb jock. I wonder how many of these kids have to give any effort at all to graduate from high school/college. I am always amazed when players can't qualify academically both because the standard is so low but also because they are given so much help!

I think a lot of it is want too as well. Did VY care about his wonderlic? probably not. He may also be dumb as a box of rocks and more than likely didn't care about the test. It should be shocking, you are correct, but I don't think it is because of the stereotype of the dumb jock. I wonder how many of these kids have to give any effort at all to graduate from high school/college. I am always amazed when players can't qualify academically both because the standard is so low but also because they are given so much help!

You could draw a picture on the page and possibly hit more correct. That's more than not caring. Many guys here outscored cj with less than a quarter of the chances to get a point.

The point of the Wonderlic?

The test is so easy it's ridiculous. 8th grade math given to college students? How does this relate to playing pro football at a high level? The math questions can be solved in under 5 seconds and the others not much longer. What a joke!

10 outta 12 didn't even try the larger worded problems

The test is so easy it's ridiculous. 8th grade math given to college students? How does this relate to playing pro football at a high level? The math questions can be solved in under 5 seconds and the others not much longer. What a joke!

it shows a cognitive ability to think quickly.

How fast you process data? Whether you care enough to get ready? In a sense it is like anything else at the combine - it gives you a sense of if you need to dig deeper on a guy.

I saw several people reference Spillers score so I looked it up.

10 !!!!!!! Are you kidding me :)

For simplicity, assuming 50 questions with half of them being being multiple choice with 4 possible answers and answering each one randomly:

25 * .25 = 6.25

So CJ didn't do much better than marking only the multiple choice questions randomly. Nice.

I saw several people reference Spillers score so I looked it up.

10 !!!!!!! Are you kidding me :)

For simplicity, assuming 50 questions with half of them being being multiple choice with 4 possible answers and answering each one randomly:

25 * .25 = 6.25

So CJ didn't do much better than marking only the multiple choice questions randomly. Nice.

maybe thats what he did and did better than expected lol

I did 10 for 12 in 4 minutes...but this test wasn't completely cake. Add the fact that those taking it are under insane pressure and these questions are a lot more challenging. Sitting on your duff with nothing to lose, most people still can’t score perfect....now imagine millions of dollars and your future livelihood at stake. I could see this thing being terrifying. All of that said, anyone who can’t get at least a double digit final score should be sterilized.

I did 10 for 12 in 4 minutes...but this test wasn't completely cake. Add the fact that those taking it are under insane pressure and these questions are a lot more challenging. Sitting on your duff with nothing to lose, most people still can’t score perfect....now imagine millions of dollars and your future livelihood at stake. I could see this thing being terrifying. All of that said, anyone who can’t get at least a double digit final score should be sterilized.

At the end of the day not that much pressure. Spiller scored a 10 and got taken at #9. This test does not seem to matter much overall.