netflix sleeper movies, series

birdog1960

I wanted to catch it at Sundance actually but I missed it. I've heard a lot of mixed things on it around town here, mostly on the negative side though. I'll still check it out at some point though. I'm just beginning to suspect that the found footage angle has run its course in horror. I think the only way you can do a found footage now and have it feel exciting is to switch up the genres -- like they did with Chronicle. They did a found footage movie about a super-hero. That made the super hero genre feel fresh again in some ways.

Oh no sir, (REC) came along WAY before the string of found footage crap films. In fact, BWP, that movie and Cloverfield would probably be responsible for strting the trend.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh no sir, (REC) came along WAY before the string of found footage crap films. In fact, BWP, that movie and Cloverfield would probably be responsible for strting the trend.

:blink:

Blair Witch came out in 1999, [REC] was 2007, and Cloverfield 2008. How can you say [REC] came out long before any others? Even Blair Witch wasn't the original....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage_(genre)#Examples_of_found-footage_films

Oops. Was thinking of V/H/S not (REC).

Yeah, just checked out the plot. Sounds pretty lame. THIS is (REC)

Apparently, it's one of the scariest films of all time. Can't WAIT to see it! Combines two things Im most afraid of: found footage horror like BWP and zombies!

Edited by SelmonSmith6378

• 3 weeks later...

Since the wife and I finished all of Rescue Me (which I'm still bummed is over) we picked a new one, called The Rich's. About of family of "travelers" (in other words thieves, wanderers, gypsies) who by an unusual circumstance obtain a multimillion dollar home and have to take on the lives of the previous owners. Only a few episodes in but I really enjoy it. And I really enjoy Minnie Driver.

I love all of the Film Movement" titles Listed here http://bit.ly/g6ViCH (a lot of them are on Netflix)

My favorite is "THE BOTHERSOME MAN"

A different twist of a French thriller "MONSIEUR HIRE" with Sandrine Bonnaire

"JUST ANOTHER LOVE STORY" is another overlooked thriller.

Lastly, a fairly popular fillm you might not have seen is "FUNNY GAMES" excellent thriller from Michael Haneke.

Edited by WellDressed

Since the wife and I finished all of Rescue Me (which I'm still bummed is over) we picked a new one, called The Rich's. About of family of "travelers" (in other words thieves, wanderers, gypsies) who by an unusual circumstance obtain a multimillion dollar home and have to take on the lives of the previous owners. Only a few episodes in but I really enjoy it. And I really enjoy Minnie Driver.

Likewise recently killed rescue me and looking for a reliable substitute.

:blink:

Blair Witch came out in 1999, [REC] was 2007, and Cloverfield 2008. How can you say [REC] came out long before any others? Even Blair Witch wasn't the original....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_footage_(genre)#Examples_of_found-footage_films

That is correct. "The Blair Witch Project" was the first found footage movie to have major success at the box office. Another small film called "The Last Broadcast" came out the year before BWP, but very few people saw it.

You have to go back to 1980 to the Italian horror film, "Cannibal Holocaust", which would be considered the first found footage film. This was a movie that was so controversial and so brutal and disgusting that it was, and still is, banned in certain countries. Unlike BWP and other found footage movies, "Cannibal Holocaust" does not spend the entire film using a hand held camera. It is also not a typical horror film, as it's main theme deals with man's inhumanity to man.

As for "[REC]", that movie was remade in America as "Quarantine". So if you've seen "Quarantine", you've seen "[REC]".

As for "[REC]", that movie was remade in America as "Quarantine". So if you've seen "Quarantine", you've seen "[REC]".

Really? (REC) seems to have a poorer camera (Which is, in my opinion, better for scares) and I've heard from some sources that (REC) is FAR scarier.

Wonder Showzen was a fantastic, hilarious show while it lasted. Unfortunatley...They cancelled it after 2 seasons. Lost Tapes is a great show too, and the only TV show that's actually really scared me.

Edited by SelmonSmith6378

Really? (REC) seems to have a poorer camera (Which is, in my opinion, better for scares) and I've heard from some sources that (REC) is FAR scarier.

Wonder Showzen was a fantastic, hilarious show while it lasted. Unfortunatley...They cancelled it after 2 seasons. Lost Tapes is a great show too, and the only TV show that's actually really scared me.

I didn't say "Quarantine" was a better movie, just that it was the American re-make.

We've had Netfix for a bit now and dig it. We've pretty much done away with cable TV. Here's my question. Is there any way to send them suggestions on things you'd like them to add? I'd love old **** like Get Smart on there. And yeah, yeah, yeah I'm asking for advice.

We've had Netfix for a bit now and dig it. We've pretty much done away with cable TV. Here's my question. Is there any way to send them suggestions on things you'd like them to add? I'd love old **** like Get Smart on there. And yeah, yeah, yeah I'm asking for advice.

They do offer it on DVD, but you probably want streaming. If I remember right, you got a Roku, did you ever get Playon?

I just watched The Conspirator, about accused Lincoln assasination co-conspirator Mary Surrat.

I enjoyed that one...saw it a while back and felt it was well done overall. James McAvoy is a really strong actor.

Tonight I watched "The Devil Inside" and "$5 a Day". Can't really recommend either of them, although I did have fun with both. Devil inside was about rogue Catholic priests and exorcisms, a subject that always interests me...but the movie itself was pretty silly. The other film had Christopher Walken, of whom I am a huge fan, and was good enough to entertain but not anything I'd ever want to see again. I also watched the first half of "Heckler", which is a documentary done by Jamie Kennedy about stand-up comedy and the impact of the heckler. Lots of TBD favorites chime in with their stories and experiences and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Looks like the Elmo film that Dr.D mentioned has excellent reviews...I will give that one a shot this weekend.

I enjoyed that one...saw it a while back and felt it was well done overall. James McAvoy is a really strong actor.

Tonight I watched "The Devil Inside" and "$5 a Day". Can't really recommend either of them, although I did have fun with both. Devil inside was about rogue Catholic priests and exorcisms, a subject that always interests me...but the movie itself was pretty silly. The other film had Christopher Walken, of whom I am a huge fan, and was good enough to entertain but not anything I'd ever want to see again. I also watched the first half of "Heckler", which is a documentary done by Jamie Kennedy about stand-up comedy and the impact of the heckler. Lots of TBD favorites chime in with their stories and experiences and I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of it.

Looks like the Elmo film that Dr.D mentioned has excellent reviews...I will give that one a shot this weekend.

It's definitely a feel-good, heart-warmer with a couple of proud tear-jerker type moments. Plus its a pretty cool behind the scenes look at Sesame Street/Muppets.

After you see it, youll never look at Elmo the same again.

It's definitely a feel-good, heart-warmer with a couple of proud tear-jerker type moments. Plus its a pretty cool behind the scenes look at Sesame Street/Muppets.

After you see it, youll never look at Elmo the same again.

Very cool...I honestly would have never even thought twice about seeing this, so thanks for the suggestion...looking forward to it. I've never been a huge sesame street guy, but I'm muppets-4-life!