Draft prediction thread

ieatcrayonz

I'd like to see everyone's draft predictions in a little bit of a different way.

I will list the Bills picks. If you think you know who the Bills will pick in a given round, before the draft, put that in your list. As your opinion changes come back into the thread and edit your original. Don't add additional posts. If you have no opinion in a round, leave it blank. I will start but since it is so early I will have it all blank. Some of you may have opinions already so have at it.

Remember, this is just who you think the Bills will take, not who you think they should take.

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4A:

Round 4B:

Round 5A:

Round 5B:

Round 6:

Round 7:

Edited by ieatcrayonz

I'd like to see everyone's draft predictions in a little bit of a different way.

I will list the Bills picks. If you think you know who the Bills will pick in a given round, before the draft, put that in your list. As your opinion changes come back into the thread and edit your original. Don't add additional posts. If you have no opinion in a round, leave it blank. I will start but since it is so early I will have it all blank. Some of you may have opinions already so have at it.

Remember, this is just who you think the Bills will take, not who you think they should take.

Round 1:

Round 2:

Round 3:

Round 4A:

Round 4B:

Round 5A:

Round 6:

Round 7:

I will take a shot at this today seeing as no one else has yet, but it must be taken with a grain of salt because this is of course pre-combine/team workouts/indivdual workouts/team interviews etc. Again, this is who I think the Bills will select in the first 3 rounds, after that, its my personal opinion of what they should do.

Round 1: Quinton Coples - DE (despite Mayocks claim that he shouldnt be picked in the 1st 3 rounds)

Round 2: Dwayne Allen - TE

Round 3: Keenan Robinson - OLB

Round 4: Devier Posey - WR

Round 4: Brian Quick - WR

Round 5: Jayron Hosley - CB

Round 5: Josh kaddu - OLB

Edited by D2K

I will take a shot at this today seeing as no one else has yet, but it must be taken with a grain of salt because this is of course pre-combine/team workouts/indivdual workouts/team interviews etc. Again, this is who I think the Bills will select in the first 3 rounds, after that, its my personal opinion of what they should do.

Round 1: Quinton Coples - DE (despite Mayocks claim that he shouldnt be picked in the 1st 3 rounds)

Here's my stab at it:

Round 1: Melvin Ingram-DE

Round 2: Vinny Curry-DE

Round 3: Josh Chapman--NT

Round 4: Jayron Hosley--CB (if gone, Bryan Quick--WR) or Coryell Judie--CB)

Round 4: Donte Paige Moss--DE/or one of the above CB's, or Bruce Irving DE/OLB

Round 5: Tommy Streeter--WR

Round 5: Stephen Hill--WR

I think, it's Ingram or Upshaw in the first. Marcillis (spelling) or Devon Still are the dark horses. The combine Forty times and short shuttle and Jumps are key for DE if he they have a great combine it's going to change the result. Coples does not show any love of the game. We have drafted guys like that in the past with disasterous results. A guy with Mayock's rep does not come out that strong on a player unless he knows something.

Edited by Trader

Round 1: Courtney Upshaw - LB/Alabama

Round 2: Zebrie Sanders - OT/Florida State

Round 3:

Round 4A: Joe Adams - WR/Arkansas

Round 4B:

Round 5A:

Round 5B:

Round 6:

Round 7:

Still early in the process, but great thread topic, so I'll participate.

I think, it's Ingram or Upshaw in the first. Marcillis (spelling) or Devon Still are the dark horses. The combine Forty times and short shuttle and Jumps are key for DE if he they have a great combine it's going to change the result. Coples does not show any love of the game. We have drafted guys like that in the past with disasterous results. A guy with Mayock's rep does not come out that strong on a player unless he knows something.

Mayock is good, but I dont think he should be held in the regard that he is by some people. He watches the same film as any fan, he doesnt have access to the "All 22" like coaches and GM's have. I would take what Mayock says with a grain of salt as well.

I dont know how he can make that claim before the combine and individual workouts. So many of the "pundits" and "talking heads" always misconstrue readers to believe hype forgetting that Coples and UNC as a whole went through a change this year in philosophy with a new coach at the helm. Scheme changes and coaching ability can disrupt a player in so many ways. I think that is why people assume Coples doesnt have a consistant motor.

Once the combine rolls around, Coples is gonna blow the doors off the place with his measurables. He is 6'6 281 with 10 inch hands, 34 inch arms, and an amazing 80 inch wingspan. When your ceiling is Julius Peppers and Ingrams is probably Elvis Dumerville, it wouldnt/shouldnt take a rocket scientist to see the upside and make the pick. If by some miracle Coples is on the board at 10, I dont think there is anyway that Nix wont pull the trigger.

sidenote: I am not a fan at all of Upshaw in this defense.

Edited by D2K

Mayock is good, but I dont think he should be held in the regard that he is by some people. He watches the same film as any fan, he doesnt have access to the "All 22" like coaches and GM's have. I would take what Mayock says with a grain of salt as well.

I dont know how he can make that claim before the combine and individual workouts. So many of the "pundits" and "talking heads" always misconstrue readers to believe hype forgetting that Coples and UNC as a whole went through a change this year in philosophy with a new coach at the helm. Scheme changes and coaching ability can disrupt a player in so many ways. I think that is why people assume Coples doesnt have a consistant motor.

Once the combine rolls around, Coples is gonna blow the doors off the place with his measurables. He is 6'6 281 with 10 inch hands, 34 inch arms, and an amazing 80 inch wingspan. When your ceiling is Julius Peppers and Ingrams is probably Elvis Dumerville, it wouldnt/shouldnt take a rocket scientist to see the upside and make the pick. If by some miracle Coples is on the board at 10, I dont think there is anyway that Nix wont pull the trigger.

sidenote: I am not a fan at all of Upshaw in this defense.

He makes that claim because its the deadest time of the offseason and he needs to attract viewers. Plus, all of these statements, predictions and claims are subject to change at least 3 or 4 times before the draft as "more information" is gathered.

Agreed, it should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Coples and Upshaw would be very different positions on this team. While Im a huge Upshaw fan, the switch to the 43 has left me guessing, in general. I had been working on a comprehensive post about who we should draft and how they would fit in our 34 Defense. But now I have absolutely no idea what Wanny is going to do, or how he wants to address our needs.

He makes that claim because its the deadest time of the offseason and he needs to attract viewers. Plus, all of these statements, predictions and claims are subject to change at least 3 or 4 times before the draft as "more information" is gathered.

Agreed, it should all be taken with a grain of salt.

Coples and Upshaw would be very different positions on this team. While Im a huge Upshaw fan, the switch to the 43 has left me guessing, in general. I had been working on a comprehensive post about who we should draft and how they would fit in our 34 Defense. But now I have absolutely no idea what Wanny is going to do, or how he wants to address our needs.

With the 43 over being a one gap and spill defense which is predicated on forcing plays outside of the hashes, I think this makes the pick at 10 a no-brainer if Coples is on the board. I think sometimes people think that because we are looking for a pass-rusher that miraculously it will take the team sack numbers through the roof, when actually this defense isnt ran that way. The main purpose is to create pressures on every play and attack the playside/strongside, and force mistakes into the zone coverage schemes. This defense is more TO oriented than it is sack oriented.

Upshaws biggest weakness IMO is his inability to shed blockers once he is engaged, Coples with his length doesnt have this problem and will be a mismatch consistently. Also consider that Dareus and Williams will free up Coples to just free range and make plays, because one or the other or both will require double teams. The most important factor to me with Coples is that he is athletic enough to stand up and also big enough to slide inside on 3rd downs to man the DT spot and we can have a "NASCAR" style speed rush on 3rd down in the vein of what the Giants do with Tuck and Canty.

I would lose my mind if we could get Coples at 10, and it would immediately take a unit that has question marks, to being one of the top 3-5 in the league.

Edited by D2K

With the 43 over being a one gap and spill defense which is predicated on forcing plays outside of the hashes, I think this makes the pick at 10 a no-brainer if Coples is on the board. I think sometimes people think that because we are looking for a pass-rusher that miraculously it will take the team sack numbers through the roof, when actually this defense isnt ran that way. The main purpose is to create pressures on every play and attack the playside/strongside, and force mistakes into the zone coverage schemes. This defense is more TO oriented than it is sack oriented.

Upshaws biggest weakness IMO is his inability to shed blockers once he is engaged, Coples with his length doesnt have this problem and will be a mismatch consistently. Also consider that Dareus and Williams will free up Coples to just free range and make plays, because one or the other or both will require double teams. The most important factor to me with Coples is that he is athletic enough to stand up and also big enough to slide inside on 3rd downs to man the DT spot and we can have a "NASCAR" style speed rush on 3rd down in the vein of what the Giants do with Tuck and Canty.

I would lose my mind if we could get Coples at 10, and it would immediately take a unit that has question marks, to being one of the top 3-5 in the league.

I dont, or cant, disagree with most of what you have posted here. However, Im not yet sold on Coples as a sure thing, and Ive definitely been a big fan of Upshaw after watching him play for the past few years. (FYI, since youre new around here :) I watch a lot of college football, and Im an SEC homer).

Im not saying Coples cant convince me by draft-time, Im just not there yet.

As far as disengaging blockers, Upshaw is able to use his compacted strength in those short arms to shed blockers. Keep in mind, guys with really long arms also have strength problems with stuff like bench presses. So I guess it could go either way. Only time will tell.

I will say, if one of them is already off the board, I wont be upset getting the other one. If they are both somehow available at 10, then I'll trust Nix/Whaley's decision. I also dont want Upshaw to go to the Jets and have to play him twice a year.

I'm starting to think that taking a guy like David DeCastro OG, Stanford would be awfully smart, and it would probably supplement what the Bills do in free agency. The thing to do is to utilize the 4th and 5th round picks to our advantage. I could see the Bills moving up into the last one-third of round one for their pass rushing need by taking Mercilus or Perry or Branch. This strategy works by building extremely strong OL and DL's, that everyone knows kick starts every other unit on the team. Trenches, people, trenches!!

With that said, here's my mock, in full

10.) David DeCastro, ORG, Stanford ( no depth chart in the draft room, strictly BPA!)

24.) Andre Branch, DE, Clemson ( 2nd and 3rd rounders to Pittsburgh in this move )

106.) Kennan Robinson, OLB, Texas

125.) Jamell Fleming, CB, Oklahoma

140.) Omar Bolden, CB, Arizona State

141.) Donte Paige-Moss, DE, North Carolina

175.) Tank Carder, OLB, Texas Christian

215.) Chandler Harnish, QB, Northern Illinois

245.) Marc Tyler, RB, Southern California

255.) Marquis Maze, WR, Alabama

This draft takes into consideration that last year there were rewarded comp picks as such:

one at the end of round 3

two at the end of round 4

two at the end of round 5

six at the end of round 6

twenty-one at the end of round 7.

I am thinking that Buffalo gets two late round supplemental picks for Poz and Whitner!

RD1--Ingram DE. We were 30th in the NFL in sacks. Even if we bring in a FA rusher, Ingram is the explosive guy with power and closing speed--and character. He's less of a risk than Coples who is still raw and immature (but who I see as having the highest upside, almost Peppers-like, best case scenario). Upshaw at #10 would be the sure thing, the safe pick, but less top end talent than Ingram or Coples. Upshaw's short arms don't bother me because he has incredible hand use--but you can throw over him. Upshaw's scheme versatile (4-3 or 3-4), so he's a match for our hybrid D. Most drafts have Coples gone by #10.

RD2--Juron Criner WR. Nix wants the big WR. Nix said he's particularly looking for a tall player -- Nix used Detroit Lions star Calvin Johnson as a comparison -- who is capable of out-jumping and out-muscling defenders. This I take to mean a different WR in each round. Criner is "it" in RD2 (I don't think they'll go WR in RD1) because he has a muscular build and he's 6'4". It's not Stephen Hill because he doesn't have the meat on his legs to hold up, although Gailey's a Georgia Tech man. Alshon Jeffery will be gone by our RD2 pick. If Channix waits, he can still get his Calvin Johnson body type later. I like Tommy Streeter (maybe RD3), Jarrett Boykin (RD3), Jeff Fuller (RD3-4), and Tuinei (RD7). I also think they'll look at RD2 for CB if Minnefield or Dennard is there and if they don't get Routt in FA. Dwayne Allen and Coby Fleener will be seriously looked at at TE as well.

RD3--Boykin CB. Right now DraftTek has Vinny Curry going here, but after his senior bowl I'd see him in RD2. RD3 is where the last of the CB's that'll see action next year can be drafted, so that'll be a factor. Josh Norman, Boykin and Coryell Judie can be good CB depth. By going WR in RD2, you're going to be reaching for your OLB here.

RD4--Foles QB. Foles is the next RD4 pick on DraftTek's current CMD draft and if he's there, would fit the #2 role well. He's smart, a team guy, throws the throws we need him to make, and has poise. He'd be better than Thigpen in every way except one--he won't know Gailey's system. So he'll carry the clipboard as our #3 QB for a while.

RD4--Egnew or Linthicum TE. Let's get another TE, shall we?

RD5--Chris Rainey WR. He's the water bug that Nix craves, with a little more meat on the hoof than Parrish. Has his speed, though. The Bills will take a FA big WR that Nix has said he wants here.

RD5--Quinton Saulsberry OC. I also like getting a true backup OC here in Quinton Saulsberry. David Molk I like, too, but he's big like Saulsberry. Molk has feet--maybe convert him to TE.

RD6--Lennon Creer, RB Louisiana Tech

RD7--Cordarro Law DE43/OLB34