Food Police

3rdnlng

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My 4-year-old niece eats little beyond mac&cheese, plain spaghetti with butter and parmesean, rice, corn, bread, yogurt, soy milk, and Jello. Sometimes she'll have bacon or ham if she's here.

Doesn't eat anything that she doesn't like the look of and if it has flecks of parsley, pepper, whatever.

Now, I think this has been wrought in large part because my brother's ex is a neurotic herself that can't be bothered to spend more than 10 minutes making a meal. But that's neither here nor there.

Trying to instill adult eating habits on kids is a complete waste of time and $.

They'll eat when they're hungry and they will try different things as they grow up (or, "grow older" for those people who fail to grow up) and discern their likes and dislikes in their own time. Forcing kids to eat and attempting to beat them over the head with rigid guidelines will only cement bad habits in an "I'll teach them!" kind of way.

Edited by UConn James

The link is not working for me. Here is a link to another story. Not sure if it's the same one you were linking to, if not, it's along the same lines I'm assuming:

related story

In other words, the first link didn't pass inspection, so you had to provide us a different one.

You pinko commie bastard.

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a state agent who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines,” the Journal reports.

I think this part is the most disturbing. Food gestapo rifling through little kids private lunch boxes. Amazing.

The West Hoke Elementary School student was in her More at Four classroom when a state agent who was inspecting lunch boxes decided that her packed lunch — which consisted of a turkey and cheese sandwich, a banana, apple juice and potato chips — “did not meet U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines,” the Journal reports.

I think this part is the most disturbing. Food gestapo rifling through little kids private lunch boxes. Amazing.

Yeah....The Department of HomeLunch Security...............I stole that from Mark Steyn

The home-made lunch having been ruled illegal by officials, the preschooler was given a federally-approved lunch,

for which her mother has been sent a bill.

The girl didn’t care for the substitute lunch, ate only the three chicken nuggets, and left everything else on her tray untouched.

It may not have worked out all that nutritious for her, but at least it’s compliant with DCDEE/DHHS/USDA paperwork, and that’s what matters.

It may not have worked out all that nutritious for her, but at least it’s compliant with DCDEE/DHHS/USDA paperwork, and that’s what matters.

That, sadly, is entirely accurate and lacking in hyperbole.

But the government has not just a right, but a responsibility under the Constitution to make sure that kids eat healthy lunches. It falls under "regulating interstate commerce," since it's a health care issue.

I'm mixed. As a country, we don't eat as well as we should. That said, I don't think this is the right way to fix things. Chicken nuggets? Are you kidding me? That's as dumb as saying that pizza is a vegetable.

To qualify that, I ate worse than a 5-year old for 39 years, until my doctor told me I had to stop. I was eating Burger King/McDonalds twice a day, pizza hut twice a week, and a 5-hour energy every day (sometimes two)

Edited by Adam

I'm mixed. As a country, we don't eat as well as we should. That said, I don't think this is the right way to fix things. Chicken nuggets? Are you kidding me? That's as dumb as saying that pizza is a vegetable.

To qualify that, I ate worse than a 5-year old for 39 years, until my doctor told me I had to stop. I was eating Burger King/McDonalds twice a day, pizza hut twice a week, and a 5-hour energy every day (sometimes two)

Adam is a fence-sitter. Who'd've guessed!

Adam is a fence-sitter. Who'd've guessed!

Not really- I'm just really not smart enough to figure how to get done what I want done. Do we really want people to take food from our kids that we pay for? The change has to come from better parenting- and this country is in DIRE NEED of that!

There is no feasible way for anyone to be "mixed" about the reality that someone from your local government will not only deem your child's lunch unacceptable, but consequently FORCE you to buy your child a lunch that IS acceptable, regardless of whether your child does, in fact, eat the meal.

In what milquetoast world must you live in to have mixed feelings about this?

Edited by LABillzFan

This is kinda funny. Obviously they shouldnt be doing that :lol:

But I absolutely do agree with the idea of restricting what kind of foods can be bought with Government welfare money. I also am for promoting healthy eating in schools and only providing healthy foods, and cut down significantly the fat and sugars.

I also believe taxing sugars and putting that money in a "lockbox" of sorts and applying that money towards preventative care and promotions of exercise and healthier eating.

There is no feasible way for anyone to be "mixed" about the reality that someone from your local government will not only deem your child's lunch unacceptable, but consequently FORCE you to buy your child a lunch that IS acceptable, regardless of whether your child does, in fact, eat the meal.

In what milquetoast world must you live in to have mixed feelings about this?

I heard a story about a kid walking down the hall with a pop tart- his teacher took it away from him. The teacher has no right to do that. If the teacher wants to dictate, then the teacher should buy the food. But if you want the students to eat better, you give them chicken nuggets? That's kind of backwards.....doesn't get much worse than processed chicken nuggets.

I want something to be done- I don't want people to be told by doctors to change their lifestyle or their will be consequences, like I was told. Problem is, how far do you go. There is a dilemma there, if you believe in individual rights. If you don't then I can't help you.

Edited by Adam

This is kinda funny. Obviously they shouldnt be doing that :lol:

But I absolutely do agree with the idea of restricting what kind of foods can be bought with Government welfare money. I also am for promoting healthy eating in schools and only providing healthy foods, and cut down significantly the fat and sugars.

I also believe taxing sugars and putting that money in a "lockbox" of sorts and applying that money towards preventative care and promotions of exercise and healthier eating.

Don't forget tax breaks for gym memberships.