Tackling the "we need a LT" myth

D2K

There ya go asking the Fitz haters to provide a real world solution for his replacement. And their answer is....ANNNNNNN......BIG NOTHING! How about we support the guy who proved when the team was healthy he is good enough, is being paid like our QB for at least the next few years and has the absolute full support of the front office and the coaching staff?

I know, I know. Novel concept suggesting actually supporting the team as a fan and a player that is obviously not going anywhere for a while is a ludicrous idea!

I apologize for not enjoying our annual 6 or fewer win seasons.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are more in the "trade away all of our picks" boat then? when it comes to acquiring an elite QB.

If buddy sees a guy to pull the trigger on, yup. In a heartbeat. If you see a guy your willing to bet your career/legacy on, I am comfortable going after him.

Until then, I'm down with fitz.

The one thing I don't want is a panicked "oh my god we have to get the guy right now it doesn't even matter who he is but we need him."

As for a LT - yes, I'd like to watch a passing game that gives receivers time to work deeper, or across the field. Our offense, though not giving up sacks, is hampered by our line. Injuries did play a role but it struggled early too.

If buddy sees a guy to pull the trigger on, yup. In a heartbeat. If you see a guy your willing to bet your career/legacy on, I am comfortable going after him.

Until then, I'm down with fitz.

The one thing I don't want is a panicked "oh my god we have to get the guy right now it doesn't even matter who he is but we need him."

As for a LT - yes, I'd like to watch a passing game that gives receivers time to work deeper, or across the field. Our offense, though not giving up sacks, is hampered by our line. Injuries did play a role but it struggled early too.

Fair enough, I dont think there is a right or wrong answer, just wondering which of the poisons most TBDers would pick. And also wanted to point out that it will take some sacrifice, one way or another, to get that QB.

Mind if I ask how much you would be willing to trade? This years 1st, next years 1st, and some mid-rounders?

Funny that you felt a need to spread your ideas to other forums because people were shooting you down at BBMB.

We can do this all day. Fitz threw nothing but quick slants all game and still got hit. It was a nightmare. We need a LT just as much as Fitz needs deep accuracy. Only then can we run a real offense.

Fair enough, I dont think there is a right or wrong answer, just wondering which of the poisons most TBDers would pick. And also wanted to point out that it will take some sacrifice, one way or another, to get that QB.

Mind if I ask how much you would be willing to trade? This years 1st, next years 1st, and some mid-rounders?

I'd give up next years first to swap up this years. I don't consider it giving up this years as much as what's the cost to improve it. I'd also choose qb 100 times out of 100 if you don't have an elite one yet

Edited by NoSaint

Yea, NOW they would! :lol:

Not so many before the draft were that high on Newton. Don't forget he was graded as the 10th best player. ESPN had him at 15th

It was Nevergiveup who stated the Bills would go after Newton before the draft. Nix and Gailey only mentioned it just after the draft from what i recall.

Jamarcus Russell and the stolen laptop provided the ammunition for a sound risk argument... Just tuned out to be incorrect. I certainly had mischaracterized the dirty laundry in his passed as a predictor. But if you aren't wrong how do you learn?

Funny that you felt a need to spread your ideas to other forums because people were shooting you down at BBMB.

We can do this all day. Fitz threw nothing but quick slants all game and still got hit. It was a nightmare. We need a LT just as much as Fitz needs deep accuracy. Only then can we run a real offense.

First off, there isnt a single intelligent idea on BBMB.

Second, who are you?

Not one person on BBMB has ever "shot me down", no idea what you are talking about? Again, that board is completely lowest common denominator.

Edited by D2K

Jamarcus Russell and the stolen laptop provided the ammunition for a sound risk argument... Just tuned out to be incorrect. I certainly had mischaracterized the dirty laundry in his passed as a predictor. But if you aren't wrong how do you learn?

It wasn't just the laptop, there was a bunch of things in his past that bothered many people,. plus don't forget Vince Young (head case) Michael Vick (dogs) I had him pegged wrong also.

The kid looked amazing his first year and set some records as a rookie, he looks to be the best QB since Stafford. Kind of a shame he was overshadowed by Tim Tebow most of the year in the media or we would have heard so much more about him

His story isn't fully written yet tho, who knows what will happen the next few years. He still needs to show he can take his team to the playoffs. If he can't, then he needs to show he can handle the frustration of not winning if they don't rebuild that team properly and he doesn't make the playoffs quickly.

--------------------------------

As for trading up for RG3 or Luck, no way! This team still has way to many holes to even consider drafting a rookie QB....who wouldn't survive behind that current line.

Per Buddy Nix:

Pass rusher, the lack of a decent pass rush dragged down the entire defense. (one -two pass rushers)

WR, they need to re sign Stevie Johnson PLUS adding one or two more receivers after they sign Stevie, grab a free agent like Vincent Jackson- Dwayne Bowe . then add another WR in the draft (2-3 WR's)

He stated he plans to draft an OT in this draft, and he also stated a team can't have enough DB's

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Your analysis is garbage nice try.

I am wondering how people feel RGIII's talent level is compared to Cam Newtons

Just curious

Newton is like Roethlisberger and big running back rolled up, Big arm, excellent downfield accuracy. When watching him play at Auburn....the way he ran behind his pads and his body lean and just the way he took a corner reminded me of the footage you see of OJ eating up real estate in his prime. Newton is a very rare combo. :worthy:

RG3 is somewhere between Brett Favre and Steve Young. He is short like Young and can run and throw the ball accurately all over the field like Young, but he has the improvisational skill and powerful accurate arm to throw the ball deep and from a number of positions and arm angles. Young was a pretty mechanical passer by comparison. RG3 is obviously a world class athlete as a hurdler and is really good running the ball, but I wouldn't put him in the class of Newton, Vick or even Vince Young in that regard. He's more of a "see an opening and run out of bounds, untouched, after 15 yards" guy as opposed to those guys who will gladly cut back into traffic. Probably smarter than Young and Favre. Combined. I really like me some RG3. :worthy:

It wasn't just the laptop, there was a bunch of things in his past that bothered many people,. plus don't forget Vince Young (head case) Michael Vick (dogs) I had him pegged wrong also.

The kid looked amazing his first year and set some records as a rookie, he looks to be the best QB since Stafford. Kind of a shame he was overshadowed by Tim Tebow most of the year in the media or we would have heard so much more about him

His story isn't fully written yet tho, who knows what will happen the next few years. He still needs to show he can take his team to the playoffs. If he can't, then he needs to show he can handle the frustration of not winning if they don't rebuild that team properly and he doesn't make the playoffs quickly.

--------------------------------

As for trading up for RG3 or Luck, no way! This team still has way to many holes to even consider drafting a rookie QB....who wouldn't survive behind that current line.

Per Buddy Nix:

Pass rusher, the lack of a decent pass rush dragged down the entire defense. (one -two pass rushers)

WR, they need to re sign Stevie Johnson PLUS adding one or two more receivers after they sign Stevie, grab a free agent like Vincent Jackson- Dwayne Bowe . then add another WR in the draft (2-3 WR's)

He stated he plans to draft an OT in this draft, and he also stated a team can't have enough DB's

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

Sure...could work. However, I submit this: players who want to play for "winners" are more likely to go to a team with a QB who gives them a chance to win. This makes you more competitive in free agency and able to plug holes quicker. An elite QB is he most important brick to a foundation of winning. I have never heard that description when speaking of Fitz.

Newton is like Roethlisberger and big running back rolled up, Big arm, excellent downfield accuracy. When watching him play at Auburn....the way he ran behind his pads and his body lean and just the way he took a corner reminded me of the footage you see of OJ eating up real estate in his prime. Newton is a very rare combo. :worthy:

RG3 is somewhere between Brett Favre and Steve Young. He is short like Young and can run and throw the ball accurately all over the field like Young, but he has the improvisational skill and powerful accurate arm to throw the ball deep and from a number of positions and arm angles. Young was a pretty mechanical passer by comparison. RG3 is obviously a world class athlete as a hurdler and is really good running the ball, but I wouldn't put him in the class of Newton, Vick or even Vince Young in that regard. He's more of a "see an opening and run out of bounds, untouched, after 15 yards" guy as opposed to those guys who will gladly cut back into traffic. Probably smarter than Young and Favre. Combined. I really like me some RG3. :worthy:

Great analysis.

Young is actually pretty smart. He obtained his law degree and is managing director of a private equity firm... I am impressed with rg3s smarts too, just saying young is pretty smart. Farve on the other hand, not so much...

as far as Fitz goes. the bills were 5-2 thru the washington game where fitz got his ribs broken by London Fletcher. they were 1-8 after that. Fitz is the least of our problems.

How does FItz get a free pass? If his injury was affecting his play, why wasn't there a change? It brings up 2 disturbing scenarios: that a 50% Fitzpatrick was better than a 100% Thigpen; or that Fitzpatrick stubbornly kept his injury a secret to retain his starting job.

Young is actually pretty smart. He obtained his law degree and is managing director of a private equity firm... I am impressed with rg3s smarts too, just saying young is pretty smart. Farve on the other hand, not so much...

Yeah, this is all true. Young is very intelligent. Of course adding the intelligence of a doorknob like Favre to Young's IQ does nothing to advance the total sum, but... ;)

How does FItz get a free pass? If his injury was affecting his play, why wasn't there a change? It brings up 2 disturbing scenarios: that a 50% Fitzpatrick was better than a 100% Thigpen; or that Fitzpatrick stubbornly kept his injury a secret to retain his starting job.

Having seen Thigpen play the position, I wouldn't be surprised if the coaches felt Fitz at 2% was a better option.

P.S. I recently read an article that the Buffalo Bills FO -HC- scouting dept- is not very secretive about what players they covet the most in the draft. Might be a reason why they lose out on players like Cam Newton, Von Miller and others

Yeah I bet every GM in the entire NFL sits around with his staff looking at who the scouts and GM of one of the worst teams in football likes to decide their draft order :blink:

No offense to you, your statement just struck me as funny is all :)

Edited by CodeMonkey