I.C.E. sting nets millions in counterfeit NFL gear

Just Jack

"This type of crime takes jobs away from American workers and profits away from U.S. businesses."

Complete and utter BS. The NFL apparel is all manufactured in China, etc, so i fail to see how buying counterfeit NFL apparel is taking jobs away from American workers.

Complete and utter BS. The NFL apparel is all manufactured in China, etc, so i fail to see how buying counterfeit NFL apparel is taking jobs away from American workers.

Maybe from the retail stores. If people aren't buying form the store in the mall or the Online store that ships out of the US then the stores aren't able to hire or keep people because business is bad. Just a thought

I.C.E. They can stop unlicensed NFL gear coming into the US, but not illegal immigrants.

This stuff is not fake, merely not licensed, as all the licensed products are made in the same place, China!

Good job spending our tax money protecting us from this abomination. Just what American Jobs are they saving?

Certainly not street vendors, flea markets, postal workers, oh yeah, the 32 rich sob's that own NFL teams my bad!

You don't get how 100% of those profits are being sent to China, based on designs and trademarks that Americans are trying to defend?

Instead of it going to NFL players (who get 49% iirc from the CBA), teams, the league, and from there distributed to jewelry makers, tailors, sprinkler system installers, bookstores, universities, etc., etc... that cash instead goes out of country. It leaves. Less money in the economy.

This one bust was over $4 million and we're still half a week away from the game.

This is just NFL jerseys. Can you fathom how much is sent over there for untold other products, that were created by someone else, but that they're not profiting from, and part of the reason why prices are driven so high is to keep a company's profits level while legitimate sales slip because so many are buying from illegal producers/sellers?

Edited by UConn James

First off why is homeland security getting involved in this?

I love these quotes (with my corrections):

"This type of crime takes jobs away from American workers and profits away from U.S. businesses."

"Counterfeiters use inferior the same materials and craftsmanship to produce look-alike products that do not benefit the teams, the players, or the hard working employees of legitimate U.S. companies and trademark holders."

I can only imagine the quantity of counterfeit superbowl crap that must be in Indy now selling at half the price of the licensed ones. I'm not surprised the NFL pulled some strings to get the government to get as much of it out of circulation as they can so the NFL can make as much money as possible.

Edited by CodeMonkey

This stuff is not fake, merely not licensed, as all the licensed products are made in the same place, China!

I'm gonna disagree some, based on personal observation. At one of the home games this season I spotted five Spiller jerseys in my section. Not a single one was alike. Differences ranged from the size of the striping and placement on the sleeves, the position and size of the bills logo at the neck, and even the size/type of the font used for the name and number. So even though they all may have come from China, they are not all exactly like the real thing.

Wait, ICE is back? I'm leaving TBD now...

Seriously. The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was ICE walking round the guys who were busted, saying "I'm LMMFAO at you MF Assclowns, thinking you know what you think you know when you don't know jackschhitt! It's time for a little redass!"

You don't get how 100% of those profits are being sent to China, based on designs and trademarks that Americans are trying to defend?

Instead of it going to NFL players (who get 49% iirc from the CBA), teams, the league, and from there distributed to jewelry makers, tailors, sprinkler system installers, bookstores, universities, etc., etc... that cash instead goes out of country. It leaves. Less money in the economy.

This one bust was over $4 million and we're still half a week away from the game.

This is just NFL jerseys. Can you fathom how much is sent over there for untold other products, that were created by someone else, but that they're not profiting from, and part of the reason why prices are driven so high is to keep a company's profits level while legitimate sales slip because so many are buying from illegal producers/sellers?

Operation "Fake Sweep," which began on Oct. 1, 2011 and ended this past week, is an anti-counterfeit operation which resulted in $4.8 million worth of fake NFL merchandise being confiscated, including 42,692 non-authentic Super Bowl items.

So basically, no, it is not just NFL jerseys, it says "merchandise." Also, it was not just one bust, this has been going on for 4 months and has now reached it's conclusion.

I can't argue with your point that it is less money in the economy, that's true, but on the other hand, isn't manufacturing all the merchandise in China having a very similar effect? If those jobs are in America, the wages paid to the employees stay here, not in China.

Seriously. The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the thread title was ICE walking round the guys who were busted, saying "I'm LMMFAO at you MF Assclowns, thinking you know what you think you know when you don't know jackschhitt! It's time for a little redass!"

OG TBD Troll - guy practically *invented* the practice...