Bills in the Super Bowl

I'm currently co-writing an article with several fans from other teams about their teams journeys for post season success in the future!

It's a very intriguing piece, of which, details the trails and tribulations of the following teams:

Cardinals, Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins, Bills, Chargers, Browns, Seahawks and The Jests!

My subject: What the Bills need to get back to the Super Bowl

It will provide the history of the 90's Super Bowl teams, the 12+ years without a playoff appearance and the coaching changes since Marv Levy.

Right now, I'm looking for fan feedback to help me set this article into stone...

Meaning, I would love to read your posts on what YOU feel this team needs NOW--to get them back into the promised land--the land Bruce Smith called, "The Show!"

Thanks for your time and...Go Bills!

A big time pass rusher, another receiving threat, LB that can cover TEs, & the ability to stay reasonably healthy.

Don't forget a defensive scheme that covers the middle of the field. For 10 years now I have watched TE's and slot WR's catch the ball in the middle of the field with no one around them. It would be nice to try and defend this part of the field.

Rusty Jones and his magic in keeping the players healthy.

A defensive so tight and strong that passers fear us and are worried about being sacked.

An offensive line that is capable of protecting the QB.

A serious run stuffer and two very strong DE's.

Bill Polian

Don't forget a defensive scheme that covers the middle of the field. For 10 years now I have watched TE's and slot WR's catch the ball in the middle of the field with no one around them. It would be nice to try and defend this part of the field.

That, plus the Bills should try to get a slot WR and a decent TE...I want to say they havent had a strong presence at both spots in almost a decade or more!

I'm currently co-writing an article with several fans from other teams about their teams journeys for post season success in the future!

It's a very intriguing piece, of which, details the trails and tribulations of the following teams:

Cardinals, Eagles, Cowboys, Redskins, Bills, Chargers, Browns, Seahawks and The Jests!

My subject: What the Bills need to get back to the Super Bowl

It will provide the history of the 90's Super Bowl teams, the 12+ years without a playoff appearance and the coaching changes since Marv Levy.

Right now, I'm looking for fan feedback to help me set this article into stone...

Meaning, I would love to read your posts on what YOU feel this team needs NOW--to get them back into the promised land--the land Bruce Smith called, "The Show!"

Thanks for your time and...Go Bills!

If you focus your attention on player needs you are missing the primary reasons why this franchise has so miserably floundered for so long. You have to start with the caliber of ownership and then analyze the caliber of organization he has established. The only owner this franchise has had is primarily responsible for the major hires and he is responsible for the organizational structure.

From a business standpoint the franchise is a lucrative profit center. From a football standpoint the franchise is not very competitive and its standing within the league borders on being irrelevant.

At this late stage in his life the owner is physically and mentally very frail. The person who acts on his behalf and has the most authority within the organization, and that includes the football operation, is Jeff Littman. He is the trusted business advisor who is in charge.

If you want to be serious about giving a fair overview of the state of the franchise it might be useful to compare how successful medium market franchises such as the Packers, Steelers and Ravens operate to how the Bills conduct their business. More often than not success in the league is not about how much you spend but how intelligently you operate.

If you focus your attention on player needs you are missing the primary reasons why this franchise has so miserably floundered for so long. You have to start with the caliber of ownership and then analyze the caliber of organization he has established. The only owner this franchise has had is primarily responsible for the major hires and he is responsible for the organizational structure.

From a business standpoint the franchise is a lucrative profit center. From a football standpoint the franchise is not very competitive and its standing within the league borders on being irrelevant.

At this late stage in his life the owner is physically and mentally very frail. The person who acts on his behalf and has the most authority within the organization, and that includes the football operation, is Jeff Littman. He is the trusted business advisor who is in charge.

If you want to be serious about giving a fair overview of the state of the franchise it might be useful to compare how successful medium market franchises such as the Packers, Steelers and Ravens operate to how the Bills conduct their business. More often than not success in the league is not about how much you spend but how intelligently you operate.

This feels a bit harse on the owner, but the poster is correct-

The Bills organization infrastructure is rotten and well below benchmark organizations. We don't attract or pay to retain talent. We can not attract big name coaches. (I mean, is Bill Cowher going to report to Buddy Nix, who reports to Russ Brandon, who answers to Littman, who has final sign off on big moves from Wilson the whole time defering all financial decisions to Overdorf.)

It's a poor org chart of mediocrity and cronyism.

Buffalo needs to wipe out everyone and bring in fresh front office talent (i guess that would only come with a new owner) or we will not be able to compete.

The other alternative is to get really luck and stink up the joint the same year a franchise qb is available with atop pick.

I feel that if the Bills somehow managed to trade up and get RG III they'd be in the Superbowl within the next three or four years.

This is a passing league, and with Brady and Manning being out of the AFC picture, the Bills would once again become the kings of the conference.

I think that the Bills won't be this close to trading up for a franchise QB for a while since they'll become a 8 to 10 win team looking ahead these coming few years.

My 9-and-a-half-step plan:

1. Draft a powerhouse DE in the first round to improve our anemic pass rush. There shouldn't even be debate over this.

2. Sign a legitimate deep WR threat from Free Agency*. It appears OBD is going to do this.

3. Sign a LB who can cover TEs*. Our second-biggest weakness after pass rush.

4. For Fitz to work this offseason on mechanics and developing his deep pass. If he doesn't improve, then we need to draft the best QB available in 2013.

5. Draft a top-notch TE in the second round, as it seems two TE sets are impossible to stop. Two TEs would seem to fit in with Gailey's innovative horizontal-spread offense, or whatever you want to call it.

6. Make sure Fred Jackson, Stevie Johnson and Scott Chandler stay in Buffalo*.

7. Sign a proven OT from Free Agency*. We don't need a project; we need someone who can give Fitz more time on Day 1.

8. Work more on conditioning during the offseason. It's logical to assume that lack of conditioning was a factor in our higher-than-average injury rate.

9. Figure a way to better work in Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller together as well as using the under-utilized (and high-priced) Brad Smith.

*Ralph must make a statement this offseason and outbid other teams on proven free agents and pay our most talented players. I'm pessimistic, given his history, but hopeful.

I think we need to have some consistency. Football players need that in order to be successful because they are, by and large, creatures of habit. We have not had consistency at the head coaching position for several tenures in Buffalo. I, personally, like the steps the team has taken under Gailey. They are at least watchable and for the most part competitive. Yes, they still have to improve in several areas, but I like where they are headed. In my opinion firing Chan after next season if they don't make the playoffs would be a bad move for this franchise. If they go 2-14, then thats a different story, but if they hit 8-8 or 9-7, I think you have to stay the course. With all of the upheaval throughout the 2000's, we knew this was not going to be an overnight fix, especially when Chan and Buddy said they were going to build through the draft. If we draft well, which I think we have, and we push forward, we'll be hitting our stride right around the time Brady is getting near the end. Consistency. Pure and simple.

true, the ownership does have a key role in the floundering of this franchise

Bills have really only had one good decade of football in the super bowl era so its going to take a lot

true, but buffalo is not the only franchise to only be good for a decade...several teams have only had a few great years...

This link shows the overall records of all franchises...

Edited by KollegeStudnet

First, find an editor. Then, a new owner for the Bills.