Chris Brown SPECULATES Bills in play for V Jackson

FluffHead

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saying the Bills are in play for Vincent Jackson is like when the Nerdy, unpopular dork in high school finally got up the courage to ask out the head cheerleader. Yes, he wants her, but we all know what her answer will be.

Until the Bills land a big fish in free agency, I'll never believe they are capable of it.

dont want Bowe dropping balls for us or Jackson drinking it up in Buffalo if thats all true.

But i can see us grabbing someone when FA starts at wr. As has been mentioned we are not going to go bidding up some player that other teams need or really want. but i do think we will surprise ourselves this year and bring in some desirable players on defense and offense. We need to sign stevie first. Mario is going to be too much moola, but Avril looks good to me.

Unlike the Bills of the last decade, the Texans actually have a lot of good players to keep contractually satisfied. They are also deep at Williams position. Deep as in....his replacements still give the Texans an elite pass rush. They'd probably be better served extending Barwin and Reed with that money.

So if you are comparing this to the Bills..........who let guys like Pat Williams and Nate Clements walk for nothing and then subsequently wasted a couple first round picks on the irish twins McCargo and McKelvin.......comparison invalid. The Texams won't have to use a first round pick to replace Mario Williams if that is what they choose to do.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they franchised him and paid him for one season in hope of winning a SB this season. The AFC is in transition. Colts gone. Chargers may be gone. Steelers getting old. Ravens are still good but not as good as they were 2-3 years ago. Houston could easily get homefield next year by dominating a weak division.

Good post. With a decent QB (Schaub), they may have been in the AFC championship game. Speaking of which, who do you think will win the SB? I'm rooting for the Pats (AFC East tribal loyalties always win out for me), but I think the Giants are too tough of a matchup. The Giants' QB and WR corps should shred the Pats secondary, and with a gimpy Gronkowski, the Pats will be in trouble on offense. The Ravens should have beaten them.

Unlike the Bills of the last decade, the Texans actually have a lot of good players to keep contractually satisfied. They are also deep at Williams position. Deep as in....his replacements still give the Texans an elite pass rush. They'd probably be better served extending Barwin and Reed with that money.

So if you are comparing this to the Bills..........who let guys like Pat Williams and Nate Clements walk for nothing and then subsequently wasted a couple first round picks on the irish twins McCargo and McKelvin.......comparison invalid. The Texams won't have to use a first round pick to replace Mario Williams if that is what they choose to do.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they franchised him and paid him for one season in hope of winning a SB this season. The AFC is in transition. Colts gone. Chargers may be gone. Steelers getting old. Ravens are still good but not as good as they were 2-3 years ago. Houston could easily get homefield next year by dominating a weak division.

Well said. I thought all along that if Houston did not have their Qb injuries they could of been representing the AFC in the Super Bowl this year & not New England.

Colston would be great, but, for some reason, I just can't see New Orleans letting him slip away...Meahem possibly. RM has been "briliant" at times, but inconsistant over his career...good friend of mine is a huge Saints fan...every Sunday evening when I would talk to him, he would have some gripe about Meachem...but we also know he can be terrific at times.

I don't think New Orleans will let him go either unless they run into some serious money issues with resigning Brees and Sedrick Ellis and doing something with Carl Nicks. They also in theory would be in the hunt for big names to help out the defense so they don't have endless amount of money to spend.

I'd take MW over VJ any day of the week. I realize he'll run the Bills about $6Million a year more than VJax, but it's worth it. Elite pass rushers are harder to find than receivers.

Do we have any leverage to get MW? Does he show any interest in signing here? Perhaps VJ does? If you can't be with the one you want sometimes you have to take the one you can get. Now where did I here that before?

Edited by Trader

• 2 weeks later...

Vincent Jackson expected to hit open market

The Chargers would have to pay Vincent Jackson a lot of money to use the franchise tag on him — more than $13 million.

http://profootballta...it-open-market/

Awesome, now all we have to do it outbid other teams in need of receiving talent - show him more money and more opportinity to win than he's going to get anywhere else - we do that all the time. Oh, wait.........

Forget VJ, we have no prayer! But they better do all they can to resign Stevie, or at least put the Franchise tag on him.

No way we should franchise SJ. Contract talks were in the $8 million range. If as another poster said the WR franchise tag is $13 that is ridiculous. We could sign him for 5 years at $9 million using the extra $5 million spread out over 5 years to get a deal done. I don't recall every single year but I don't think the Bills are one to franchise players.

franchise cost for stevie is 9.5m this year isnt it?

I read an artical that mentioned a couple of teams that will be interested in VJ. and we were not on the list.

Hmmm.

One thing that i considered would be the best fit to pair with Stevie. Vj might be very good at receiver but is he the right guy? spend that much money and i bet the Boys upstairs will do their "due diligence thing " on this guy and us. its gonna be a bidding war for teams i'd guess for him.

if both cost the same $8-9 million per year....who would you rather have ?

Stevie Johnson age 26 HT 6'2" WT 210 lbs 4.59 sec 40 time (with upside).

Vincent Jackson age 29 HT 6'5" WT 230 lbs 4.46 sec 40 time (proven pro-bowler).

I'd probably take Stevie b/c he's younger, has chemistry with Fitz, and Stevie's got personality.