2012 Thursday, Sunday and Monday Night Games

HuSeYiN1978

I'm even more surprised at the comment that dude made by saying our team is not ready for a big game... What fans we have... SMH

Perhaps it was a reference to our QB saying that the team wasn't ready for success (i.e. Prime Time) in 2011. What makes you think that they will be ready in 2012? Will a light suddenly come on and everyone in the locker room decides, "OK, NOW we're ready!"?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We do get it, we understand that the NFl and television are businesses looking at maximizing Rating and Revenue. What is so hard to understand about this? The NFL doesn't care about the couple thousand fans that don't live in Buffalo being able to catch a primetime Bills game for free on tv. If you live out of the Bills home area, theres Sunday ticket or Sports bars to catch the game. The TV networks don't care about the NFL fans either. They care about RATINGS and MONEY. They gave the Bills primetime games when they were looked at as a team on the rise, same thing this year with Jax and the Browns. The schedule is done way before they have a chance to actually see if teams don't live up to expectations, and the networks want the best games of the week to showcase on prime time

The primetime games are used to showcase the leagues best and top talent. They want the games that should get the highest ratings for the week. Those games very rarely include Buffalo. Dallas at Buffalo doesn't happen often, and its a rematch of 2 SuperBowls, that might be a good matchup to get ratings

The statement in bold is a contradiction. You're saying the Bills won't attract ratings but then you're saying Dallas and Buffalo would get ratings. Either way there's at least one game a year and one team that we face that can attract at least one prime time game. It's the NFL. Every game is watchable in the first couple of weeks in the season.

Damn... I'm definitely disappointed... Definitely thought we'd see eye to eye on this one but I guess you guys don't get it...

If I was asking for 2 or 3 prime time games I understand. I showed you guys that all NFL teams can easily all have 2 televised games each a year. All I'm asking for is 1. Then if they feel we don't deserve a 2nd one then give our other game to the Green Bays of the world pr a Saint or a Patriot and so on and that way THEY'LL have not 2 but 3 prime time games.

So in that sense if I'm asking for too much? Then either I'm a hopeless fan and have a 2nd grader's math level, or just plain old retarded. By asking for 1 game a year I guess I'm a fool.

Its not that you are a fool or anything else bad, but you are thinking about it as a Bills fan. Think about it from a network executives viewpoint. (S)He is making a big money investment to televise the game and is going to be judged on what the ratings were, which affects how much they can charge for future commercials and therefore the profit of the network. The Bills have not exactly been setting the league on fire the last 12 years, and the last 2 seasons the record has been horrible. Outside of Buffalo and small pockets of displaced Buffalonians around the country, what interest would be generated by televising the Bills?

At the end of the day it isn't about being fair, it's about making money.

Edited by CodeMonkey

You guys say that we don't have any sexy name players for lack of a better word, but don't u guys also think that the rest of the NFL world doesn't know our guys much BECAUSE we're not televised? Which also may be the reason WHY Stevie does what he does after scoring and David Nelson gives the ball to his girlfriend even though we were getting our butts kicked just to finally be on national television?

The statement in bold is a contradiction. You're saying the Bills won't attract ratings but then you're saying Dallas and Buffalo would get ratings. Either way there's at least one game a year and one team that we face that can attract at least one prime time game. It's the NFL. Every game is watchable in the first couple of weeks in the season.

Sweet - how i wouldve loved the dallas game last year to be national. would have really proven your point well that everyone deserves a shot at the big stage.

Last year we had no probowlers (unfortunate for freddys injury) and going into the season our skill players on offense were a 7th round qb, a 7th round wr, an undrafted back, an undrafted #2 wr, and a tightend we stole off a practice squad. A no name coach, an over the hill gm, and an owner that is old enough, and in poor enough health that he couldnt even attend the games yet alone be interesting for a storyline.

I know they all mean more to us than that, but to joe NFL fan, they were (and many still are) nobodies. thats what matters in the decision ultimately.

going into this season we have that qb with the beard, (hopefully) that wr that embarasses himself, and a rb that is good at fantasy stats.

the defense still has nobody that jumps out. sweet, dareus and williams are fun for real fans to watch - but we also have to acknowledge the strengths of our team on both sides is interior line play, and thats not good for TV.

Im not trying to be a hater, as I like the direction we are going, but you have to be realistic about what outsiders see looking at this team. Unless we make a splash in FA, or draft a guy like RG3 - we shouldnt expect wildly different. We havent earned the interest of americas nfl fans, and because of that.... no i dont think the nfl, or espn, or nbc "owes" us a game on national tv.

You guys say that we don't have any sexy name players for lack of a better word, but don't u guys also think that the rest of the NFL world doesn't know our guys much BECAUSE we're not televised? Which also may be the reason WHY Stevie does what he does after scoring and David Nelson gives the ball to his girlfriend even though we were getting our butts kicked just to finally be on national television?

no - they arent known because they play on a team that for over a decade has embarassed itself regularly and is in a small market. to the average nfl fan we are not even good enough to have our own market want to have 8 home games a year. im sorry, but its just the way things are and how you change it is by winning, not petitioning the nbc execs to build our brand for us.

You guys say it shouldn't be a rule to have every team have a prime time game every year yet the lions as much as they've sucked plays EVERY thanksgiving. Is there a contract for that? Huh? Or is it cuz it became a "custom" to have them play? Get outta here with that stuff man.

Actually we were on a nationally televised game a couple of times this year. One was against the Tebowes. The NFL needs night games to be competitive

hence the dawn of the flex schedule. The NFL whether good or bad typically sets the schedule based on standings. The networks sell time, and make money, there not in it

to make local fans happy. The Bills probably have a pretty small national audience right now.

First off Idk about the Broncos game being televised and even if it was I don't consider a 1 o'clock game being considered "prime time" while there's 5 other games being played at the same time...

Edited by HuSeYiN1978

First off Idk about the Broncos game being televised and even if it was I don't consider a 1 o'clock game being considered "prime time" while there's 5 other games being played at the same time...

First off if English is not a first language may I suggest the Rosetta stone. Nowhere did I say the the Bronco game was PRIME TIME. What I said was it was NATIONALLY televised. Whats Idk mean?

First off if English is not a first language may I suggest the Rosetta stone. Nowhere did I say the the Bronco game was PRIME TIME. What I said was it was NATIONALLY televised. Whats Idk mean?

IDK means I Don't Know

Edited by Just Jack
language

i can't see why we wouldn't get national exposure. We EMBARASSED ourselves tremendously in the second half of the season. 49 unanswered points agains the Patriots? I'm just happy they are televising us at all given the depths to which we have sunk.

Blah.

Honestly, I really don't care because I hate waiting for the Bills to play anyways. Plus, MNFs make for a long day at work on Tuesday. But didn't the Jags have multiple primetime games this year and they were below average in 2010?

The Bills were the talk of the league when they were 5-2. I could see us getting a primetime game against the Pats at home. Bills' MNF crowds are amazing and translate really well to TV.

How can you say that? Even though our last two Monday night games were losses they were both INCREDIBLE games... We show up to play in big games so why can't we have ONE every year? The Browns get it. The Lions get every Thanksgiving. The Bucs, Vikings and many other teams that are and have been drafting before us always get nationally televised games...

The Det. thing is tradition. One that I dislike, btw. Those games should rotate. But anyway, the other teams have big name players that attract attention from a casual fan who cares about neither team (Peterson, Megatron, etc.) We won't get these big games until we earn them. Also, all of those teams have made the Playoffs or won a SB more recently than we have.

Not sure how important it really is, but here's another factor not yet mentioned in this thread:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7128322/buffalo-bills-hire-firm-stadium-facelift-report-says

The stadium's technological capacity is outdated, making it difficult for TV networks to string cables to provide high-definition broadcasts. And that, officials say, is becoming an obstacle for the Bills to host prime-time games, which bring additional exposure and revenue to the team and community.

Not sure how important it really is, but here's another factor not yet mentioned in this thread:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7128322/buffalo-bills-hire-firm-stadium-facelift-report-says

Wow. Great research. That makes a bit more sense as to why the Bills don't host a game but still doesn't explain why we don't have any prime-time games on the road...

They will get a night game depending on who they add in FA. If they were to keep Stevie and get a Vincent Jackson or Dwayne Bowe or a Mario Williams, etc. They will definitely get a Monday night game. Sunday night? Doubt it.

Edited by purple haze