Mario Williams

BeastMode54

I would like to know why everyone is so sure we are going to run a hybrid 4-3.......

The DC is 4-3 guy.....we are not running any type of hybrid. That is what he has been good at and there has already been talk that our defense under prior DC was too damn complicated.....

IMHO we are gonna run a 4-3 and will be looking for players to do it....there are 3 guys in FA that woudl immediately help us......if they can get Mario Williams then they can use that 1st round pick on a wide reciever to go opposite Stevie.

And a DL of Mario Williams, Darius, Williams, Kelsay would be SICK

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't matter what scheme we are running, there is NO WAY Mario Williams is signing with the Bills in the offseason.

Add the Bills not making a big splash in the free agent market to the sure thing list along with death and taxes.

I think the last big name free agent the Bills signed on defense was Bryce Paup but I'm getting too old to remember that far back.

Give me 3 good reasons why a big-time free agent would come here:

Are you going to pay me more than anyone else is offering? <No>

Are you committed to building a winner that will give me a legitimate shot at getting a 'ring' right now? <No>

Who else are you going to bring bring in to get to the next level? <Nobody>

I agree with that. Williams definitely SHOULD be in a 4-3, and I'm sure wants to be in a 4-3. But do we know what the Bills are doing yet? What if Wanny tells Williams that they will be going to a 4-3?

If the Bills don't go 4-3 I'd be surprised - Dareus and K Williams together in the middle is something this team needs.

LDEs Carrington and Gilbert

DTs Dareus, K Williams, Troup, Heard- possible draft picks Brocker, Still

RDEs Free agents Mario Williams,Cliff Avril , Calais Campbell,Jeremy Mincey etc etc- Possibly draft picks Coples, Ingram, Perry second/third round Vince Curry,Andre Branch, Chandler Jones

So lots of possibilities- if the Bills could grab a DE in FA then they don't have to spend a first on a DE and could take a shot on someone like Brocker if they think his upside warrants it.

Add the Bills not making a big splash in the free agent market to the sure thing list along with death and taxes.

I think the last big name free agent the Bills signed on defense was Bryce Paup but I'm getting too old to remember that far back.

Are you committed to building a winner that will give me a legitimate shot at getting a 'ring' right now? <No>

I wish I could argue against your logic, but I can't...

The only comfort I have is that I do believe Nix has more of a clue than any of his recent predecessors, and I believe he will have the ability to spend most of that cap space. So while I do think we can get a few pretty good FA's here, attracting the top talent may be difficult at best...

Spikes was among the hottest FA's the year he joined us....

I would not be at all surprised if the Bills went after him, but I would be shocked if he came here, and that decision will not be about scheme or money, IMO. If he hits the market he will draw very wide interest inlcuding from some teams perceived to be serious contenders. That will be the issue for the Bills - convincing a player of this caliber that they are serious and have the horses. If he were to come here, you can bet it will not be for his cover skills as a LB. Whether they are in a base 4-3 or a base 3-4 on any given play, his hand will be on the ground. The scheme is of no real consequence in taking advantage of his talents. Perhaps injury concerns on Mario Williams will knock his stock down some. This is the negative and a potentially big risk, but he could be a real difference maker for the Bills, assuming he is healthy.

Another point - "cash to cap" is not a hindrance for the Bills to compete dollar wise. Most teams use this philosophy, and the Bills have plenty of room.

I would love to make a play for Mario Willams. He is scheme diverse and we could continue to run a hybrid defense with him. Just imagine our 43 front with him:

Kelsay/Merriman/Draftee - Willams - Dareus - Willams

That would be one hell of a front. Both Dareus and Willams will demand double teams inside leaving Mario Willams all by his lonesome. He could an absolute force playing next to those two. The signing of Mario Willams would really elevate this defense. Would also allow us a lot more flexibility in the draft.

We could still go after Courtney Upshaw to play OLB. Adding Upshaw and Willams would be a grand slam IMO

What do you think we want to win or something? The frustrating thing is that something like this is SO SO SO easily doable(assuming Mario is not retained) but we want to build through the draft. That's not to say we don't bring in plenty of free agents but we love to over spend for mediocre but never pay for elite.

We would rather over spend on a couple of Chevy's instead of buying one Cadillac. Teams win and lose games but most winning teams have difference makers at several positions.

I want to build the new age NFL defense. Get us a front 4 where every guy on the line requires a double team and let the destruction begin. KW demands doubles. Dareus demands doubles. We are half way there. Please don't bring up Merriman! He has been 1 crutch away from a Jerry Lewis telethon for the last 5 years.

Did anyone see how dominant and disruptive Vince Wilfork was against the Ravens? If we stick with a 3-4 lets get a 350lb fat bastard that can drive the opposition's center into the QBs face play after play after play if you don't double team. KW is great wherever you put him but he is not the prototypical anchor against double coverage or drive a center in single coverage into the QBs lap. He is more of a penetrator.

To me, the only thing that matters on defense for this team is getting another 1 or 2 guys that demand double teams. Throw in what many expect Upshaw could be and we will go from worst to first.

Edited by PDaDdy

If we truly are spending to the cap this year, do you think we will go after Williams? And maybe if not him then Cliff Avril? Their additions would be the boost to pass rush that we need to get over the hump IMO

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/01/23/super.bowl.xlvi.matchup/2.html

Sign em, they did well without him and he had 4.5 sacks in 4 games at OLB so he would fit our hybrid D and could play both spots.

If they were able to land Mario Williams, I would probably play the 43 front the vast majority of the time. I just think he would be way more dominate out of the the RE spot in the 40 front then at OLB in the 30 front.

We already play it the majority of snaps any ways. Any time they are in the nickel or dime defense, that is a 4 man front. I would have no problem with them going to a 40 front if that is what it took to land Mario williams .

I think the 40 front will be our strongest unit anyways next season. I would much rather have Kyle Willams and Marcell Dareus lined up together inside at the two DT spots then force one of them outside. Dareus can play DE but he was much more productive inside

I agree with that. Williams definitely SHOULD be in a 4-3, and I'm sure wants to be in a 4-3. But do we know what the Bills are doing yet? What if Wanny tells Williams that they will be going to a 4-3?

Don't get me wrong.

Having a starting line of Kelsay at LDE (Kelsay is actually good with his hand on the ground) Kyle Williams Marcell Dareus and Mario Williams, With Heard and Edwards in for rotation is a freaking world class Defensive line and I would have a wet mark in my pants.

However Will that actually happen, I've been a Bills fan since birth and I was born in the 70s, so I'm not gonna hold my breath that the Bills will do what they clearly should do to everyone else besides the Bills.

My list of relatively young 4-3 free agent DEs I'd like in order of preference

1. Mario Williams

2. Calais Campbell

3. Cliff Avril

4. Jeremy Mincey

5. Mark Anderson

6. Jamaal Anderson

7. Dave Tollefson

8. Ahmad Brooks- really a 3-4 olb but 6,3 260

My guess is that the top 3 are a pipe dream

Who?

while we are playing fantasy signings that will never happen id love to see the bills sign Cortland Finnegan from the Titans

CB that plays with an attitude and likes to hit

:thumbsup:

This whole thing we aren't telling what D we are running by the Bills is as dumb and ineffective as when they have an injured player but wont say if he's playing or not because "we don't want to let the other team know" is retarded. As soon as we start drafting the other team will know but they will still be like "no we are really playing the opposite of what we drafted." :wallbash:

I would like to know why everyone is so sure we are going to run a hybrid 4-3.......

The DC is 4-3 guy.....we are not running any type of hybrid. That is what he has been good at and there has already been talk that our defense under prior DC was too damn complicated.....

IMHO we are gonna run a 4-3 and will be looking for players to do it....there are 3 guys in FA that woudl immediately help us......if they can get Mario Williams then they can use that 1st round pick on a wide reciever to go opposite Stevie.

John...in 2011 the Bills were 50something% to 40something% in terms of playing a 3 man line or a 4 man line. That won't change (the % will change, but not significantly IMO). They will continue to switch fronts depending on who we're playing and down/distance.

No WR at ten worth it unless some miracle happens and Blackmon falls 0:) 0:)