Lee Evans taking the blame for the loss

Webster Guy

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it amazing that both title games turned on the simple act of punching at the football? Those punches weren't even hard punches. Both Evans and Williams will be replaying those plays in their heads, and forever wonder why they didn't protect the football better.

This should be a lesson to the Bills ball carriers that you carry the other 52 player's Superbowl hopes and dreams along with that football. I can understand playing with a regular season "looseness" during the year, but when you get so close to the summit you've got to treat that ball like gold.

I thought it was pretty close, too, but I had no illusion that it was going to be looked at again against the Pats*. Having watched similar garbage involving them for over ten years now, I just never expect any late calls to go against them....

truly ridiculous right?

there was a pick that brady threw earlier in the game that got called off. maybe it was illegal defensive contact, maybe it wasnt: it just irked me to see the ref so emphatically throw the flag for something that happened 3-4 seconds earlier, as soon as the ball landed in the ravens arms.

ahhhhh, i wish evans had caught that. silence that crowd, at home, and end their season.

here's hoping this giants team really is a team of destiny this year.

I really can't tell if this is a commentary on their season or a shot at Buffalo: "This is the greatest team that I've been on, and I feel like I let everybody down."

Lee may be a nice guy but the reality remains, he was non-existent this year and dropped a pass that would've fulfilled his life long dream. In the end, he wasn't worth the 4th round pick the Ravens gave up for him.

It doesnt matter if Evans got both feet down because he didnt maintain possession. He did catch it but didnt make a complete football move after doing so therefore how can anyone say it should have been a score? I might be missing something here... if so maybe someone can clarify for me. I mean, nothing would be better than seeing Evans catching the winning td to send the Ravens to the SB because i really like the guy an appreciate all he did for the Bills but i gotta be honest.. i dont see how that was a score.

btw... somehow, someway, i hate the Pats even more now..

The positive out of Lees season as a raven is Nix et all are completely vindicated for the trade if there were any doubters. I think buf also gets to pick two spots higher than they otherwise would have.

I couldn't believe he dropped it in that situation. As soon as the ball touched him he should have collapsed his body around the ball like a cacoon. Oh well... Wonder where he'll be next year...,

I really can't tell if this is a commentary on their season or a shot at Buffalo: "This is the greatest team that I've been on, and I feel like I let everybody down."

Lee may be a nice guy but the reality remains, he was non-existent this year and dropped a pass that would've fulfilled his life long dream. In the end, he wasn't worth the 4th round pick the Ravens gave up for him.

I think it just a fact. He's never won a playoff game, may have never even been? He wasnt even the #2 wideout. flacco might actually be the best qb he's played with.

It doesnt matter if Evans got both feet down because he didnt maintain possession. He did catch it but didnt make a complete football move after doing so therefore how can anyone say it should have been a score? I might be missing something here... if so maybe someone can clarify for me. I mean, nothing would be better than seeing Evans catching the winning td to send the Ravens to the SB because i really like the guy an appreciate all he did for the Bills but i gotta be honest.. i dont see how that was a score.

btw... somehow, someway, i hate the Pats even more now..

Do you have to make a football move in the end zone? I'm pretty sure after two feet, it's a touchdown.

I thought it was close myself. Even on the replays no one is really saying the call should be questioned. At least not the one I saw.

Maybe a different camera angle was conclusive but it looked close.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. It was not a catch -- could have been, but it wasn't. It's a shame for the Ravens who played well. They got bite twice -- a dropped TD and "wide Left" on a kick that should have been made.

Why was Cundiff so late in getting on the field? He seemed to run out late and not get set before the kick.

It definitely was strange that in such a clutch situation this play never got reviewed, but it looks like he was a few inches from getting that second foot down and winning the game for his team. I feel sorry for the guy, it would have been great to see him in a superbowl.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bs-sp-ravens-side-evans-0123-20120122,0,7431921.story

Yeah I kind of felt sorry for him too. But know who I felt even more sorry for; me. I had $50 on the over & at 49.5 with the extra point The game would of went over.

Edited by Gordio

I don't know why people are blaming it on Evans. It looked like he had possession of the ball and the defender made a great play. If the defender hadn't punched it out, it would have been a catch....no fault of lee's if you ask me.

Sucks the Pats made it in....again....god I hate them

I think people blame Evans because he should have wrapped it up. That is what you do when the game is on the line, you wrap it up. That is especially what you do when the trip to the Super Bowl is on the line. It was not a great play by the defender, the defender simply did what he is trained to do, and that is slap the ball. The receiver (Lee) is supposed to hang on to the ball when it gets slapped. They have been training Lee to hang on to the ball since he started to play. The defender was a rookie, Lee is a 8 year vet or something like that. Lee decided to quit once it was in his hands. Lee has shown over and over that he is a quitter. Lee hasn't given a damn since he signed his last contract with the Bills. I am glad Lee dropped it as much as I hate the Pats, I hate a quitter.

Do you have to make a football move in the end zone? I'm pretty sure after two feet, it's a touchdown.

That was my impression too. Most of the time the goal judge already has his hands up before a football move is made or the person even really secures the ball.

It reminds me of a Bills game, I think against the Raiders when Nelson caught the ball right through the middle and then laid it down as soon as he caught it practically. I was worried they might call it incomplete.

Either way, refs were helping in other areas of the game. Lee didn't need the help there.

It was a good strip, I'm not sure what Evans could have done, he was in the securing motion. It was a good catch by Evans, a little lazy on securing it, but not sloppy. The DB made a hell of a strip.

I don't understand the obsession over former Bills players here.

Lee is a great guy, and a professional. He did what he was asked with revolving QB's and Coordinators while here and I wish him the best of luck. It's a shame that not playing and being hurt all year has eroded his skill set.

On the other hand, that 4th rd pick is looking better and better.... :)

You do not in fact need to make a football move in the end zone. Two feet down is all you need.

I feel very badly for Evans. Even though he is in decline, he's a likable Bill who had many good games for us.

From a Ravens forum-

"You have players like Ed Reed, whose bodies are falling apart, giving it all they got, making big plays in the clutch moments, only to be letdown by gutless chokers. It is sickening. We should have multiple championships over the last few years with the team we've fielded. Can't believe I still get my hopes up, just to have my heart ripped out. This is what you get when you rely on a Bill and a bum kicker to get the job done."

Seems some of them have a low opinion of ex Bills.