going 43 ?

pro football weekly thinks we are going 43.

"At defensive end, one of those players is expected to be Chris Kelsay, who will be back with his hand on the ground in a 4-3 defense. One daily team observer believes that a defensive shift could mean the end of Dwan Edwards' time in Buffalo. The 3-4 D-end is owed $3.6 million in 2012. He did provide leadership this past season and made plays, but he won't fit on the end in a 4-3 defense."

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/01/20/once-again-pass-rusher-is-bills-top-priority?twobillsdrive

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was bound to happen...the game has changed.

With the pass-happy offenses now, teams who utilize the 3-4, have now experimented in 4-3 looks--and vice versa.

As for the Bills, they still have vital players who have and/or have played in a 4-3.

True, Edwards could be on his way out.

Dudes. Yawn. Nothing like going out on limb. It was a no brainer and I told you so... way back in the middle of the season. Everyone knew Edwards was a goner. But, I cautioned everyone then that it would mean Wanny taking over and a switch back to the 43. And, that's how it's gonna be.

The whole thing is a disaster and pretty much gives one a glimpse into the incompetence inside OBD. 3/4 of the moves over the past three off seasons, in terms of free agency and the draft, on defense must now be pretty much wasted and starting over from square one.

I thought the financial liability of merriman was negligible at best...where is '5 or so' coming from?

3.5 mil saved on edwards. Another 5 or so saved on Merriman. That's almost enough to sign someone like Mathis. Make the cuts.. I want to see impact players.

3/4 of the moves over the past three off seasons, in terms of free agency and the draft, on defense must now be pretty much wasted and starting over from square one.

What moves are those?

Dwan Edwards who did his job and can now be cut without loss? Merriman?

They didn't really make any moves at OLB or NT other than those two, which is why they struggled with a 3-4, missing arguably the two cornerstone pieces of the defense.

Troupe is the only guy who they drafted that makes no sense now - and his failure to play well/stay healthy probably has a good bit to do with them wanting to play 4-3, since his busting means they still don't have a real NT they can rely on.

Dareus and Williams will look great as a pair of 4-3 DT's. That's also Spencer Johnson's natural position.

Kelsay obviously belongs at 4-3 DE more than OLB. If he's too slow for what they want, Carrington can lose the weight they asked him to add and be a 4-3 DE which was his natural position too.

Sheppard and Barnett can both play.

I guess we can agree they haven't made as much intellectual/training/experience gains because they are switching schemes, but you didn't want to stick with the Tampa-2 did you? I don't think Wanny's 4-3 is going to look anything like Jauron's did.

Edited by BobChalmers

3.5 mil saved on edwards. Another 5 or so saved on Merriman. That's almost enough to sign someone like Mathis. Make the cuts.. I want to see impact players.

Here's the contract info on Merriman:

1/1/2011: Signed a two-year, $10.5 million contract. The deal contains $5 million guaranteed, including a $1.5 million signing bonus, $1 million worth of first-year workout and reporting bonuses, and $3 million of his second-year base salary. Another $8 million is available through incentives
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3171/player?r=1

Also, Mathis doesn't strike me as the type of player Nix and Co look for. They often preach size etc, and at 6'2" 245# playing DE Mathis doesn't have it.

I'm still not convinced they're going to be running a 4-3. Speculation by PFW.

Edited by Carey Bender

so releasing him is useless? it's guaranteed money...correct?

Also, Mathis doesn't strike me as the type of player Nix and Co look for. They often preach size etc, and at 6'2" 245# playing DE Mathis doesn't have it.

I thought the financial liability of merriman was negligible at best...where is '5 or so' coming from?

He makes $5.75 this year. $4 million is base salary. Half a million signing bonus. Million roster bonus and $250,000 workout bonus. If they cut him the rest of the signing bonus will be dead money but they wont have to pay him the rest.

I think the FO should be a little more concerned with production and less on height and weight. In a division with Brady we need someone to get to the qb and attract double teams as much as we need guys to stuff the run. Just my opinion.

As for the specifics of merrimans contract... that would SUUUCK. Obviously they wont cut him if they only save a mil. Ill try to find where i read my info.. do you have a second source other than rotoworld?

I don't think Wanny's 4-3 is going to look anything like Jauron's did.

Perhaps not...

In Wannstedt's first season, 1993, his defense finished with 46 sacks, best since 1987. Richard Dent and Trace Armstrong led the way, with Zorich surprisingly stepping in with seven. The team's pass rush was directly responsible for their third-ranked pass defense (fourth overall), and if the team had any offense that year they may have shocked the NFL.

Following the 1993 season, Wannstedt exercised his personnel powers, releasing McMichael and failing to re-sign Dent. In the 1994 draft, he selected linebacker John Thierry from tiny Alcorn State to play defensive end. Also chosen was DT Jim Flanigan in the third round.

The following year, Wannstedt traded his most reliable defensive end, Trace Armstrong, to the Dolphins for draft picks that turned into P Todd Sauerbrun and G Evan Pilgrim.

While Wannstedt showed the veterans the door, his youth movement failed to fill those shoes. Spellman talked big but rarely delivered. Thierry looked overmatched at end. Tackles Flanigan and Zorich recorded some sacks but were small by NFL standards.

In 1996, the Bears gave free agent middle linebacker Bryan Cox the most money they'd ever given to anyone, and Cox lined up at right end on third downs in 1996, but by 1998 he and troublemaker Spellman were released. (Robert Porcher, taken after Spellman, still is enjoying a 13-season NFL career with the Lions).

Wannestedt was fired following the 1998 season, during which the team posted just 28 sacks. That, along with the 28 also posted during his '94 season, were the lowest totals for the team since the stat began being counted in 1979.

http://www.bearshistory.com/lore/passrushrevival.aspx

I think the FO should be a little more concerned with production and less on height and weight. In a division with Brady we need someone to get to the qb and attract double teams as much as we need guys to stuff the run. Just my opinion.

As for the specifics of merrimans contract... that would SUUUCK. Obviously they wont cut him if they only save a mil. Ill try to find where i read my info.. do you have a second source other than rotoworld?

I agree they should be more concerned with production, but if you're shelling out big bucks for a player I would think you'd want that player to fit your teams philosophy.

Their defense was 28th against the run, they could use a guy who can help them in both facets. I also don't think they're going 43, and am not sure if Mathis could play 34 OLB when they're not in nickel. I wonder if that being an unknown makes it not worth their while to find out?

I don't have a second source, that's the only site I've found that lists out any type of details for the players contracts.

I agree they should be more concerned with production, but if you're shelling out big bucks for a player I would think you'd want that player to fit your teams philosophy.

Their defense was 28th against the run, they could use a guy who can help them in both facets. I also don't think they're going 43, and am not sure if Mathis could play 34 OLB when they're not in nickel. I wonder if that being an unknown makes it not worth their while to find out?

I don't have a second source, that's the only site I've found that lists out any type of details for the players contracts.

Thats okay. I'll keep looking but finding out contract details is such a pain. I bring up Mathis because i think that they will go to a 43 but if you are right and they stay with the 34 then i agree with you that mathis would no longer make sense. We'll have to wait and see what Dave Wannstedt does. I have to be honest... i have some serious reservations about DW's ability to impliment a successful system using the 34.

Edited by Danny

Dudes. Yawn. Nothing like going out on limb. It was a no brainer and I told you so... way back in the middle of the season. Everyone knew Edwards was a goner. But, I cautioned everyone then that it would mean Wanny taking over and a switch back to the 43. And, that's how it's gonna be.

The whole thing is a disaster and pretty much gives one a glimpse into the incompetence inside OBD. 3/4 of the moves over the past three off seasons, in terms of free agency and the draft, on defense must now be pretty much wasted and starting over from square one.

I wouldn't call it square one but we are doing the hokey pokey a little bit... One foot in one foot out bull manure... I gotta say I was one of the ones who wanted to go in the 3-4 route cuz I just like bigger linebackers rather than smaller speedy ones but I guess we either didn't have the staff to achieve the system, or obviously the players who could play the position. Either way moving back to 4-3 is acceptable now especially with Wanny as the DC. I officially claim myself mentally retarded and if I can put mentally retarded on my license I would cuz every year I get angry with the Bills for not making the playoffs and then every year I get excited about the next year... I'm excited to see what happens next year now. Crazy...

Damn... Tough to be Nix on this one... I like Merriman personally and I think Nix feels the way I do as far as production WITH Merriman on the field even though his stats may not show it but the amount of money that could be saved is a twister... Lotta money...

Mike Nolan is a 34 coach and he will be running a 43 with Atlanta this year.

Wanny has been coaching Defenses for 30 years. To think he doesnt have experience or knowledge with a 34 is just ridiculous.

Nevermind the fact that most teams only play their base D a small amount of time.

Pro Football Weekly can GUESS at anything they want. It's certainly not fact until it comes out of the mouths at One Bills Drive.

Edited by DrDareustein

Cap savings for cutting some players

Merriman $5,250,000

Kelsay $3,550,000

Dwan Edwards $3,975,000

Spencer Johnson $3,500,000

Drayton $3,583,332

McGee $2,100,000

Thigpen $2,000,000

My link

You realize right now that Chris Kelsay is probably our best DE right? Assuming we move back to a 4-3.

Edited by mob16151