going 43 ?

43s often use smaller personnel than 34s (with notable exceptions like the Buddy Ball fronts), but the JJ/DW version used smaller people even for a 43. I remember this old Jimmy Johnson quote about how he wanted safeties for OLBs, LBs for ends, DEs for tackles.

This personnel could be perfect for that, because we essentially have really big ends that would play DT. The purpose for smaller DTs is you want the athleticism of a smaller guy. Both Dareus and Williams have the speed and agility to bring pressure, but also have the size to clog the middle.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't that kinda like what jerry sullivan does here? he's always trying to hold someone accountable and trying to get answers to some pretty rough questions. i know a lot of people here really dislike him, and i do not agree with most of what he says, but i am usually interested in his point of view.

There's a few big differences:

1) Sullivan is a columnist while McGinn is the beat writer (Mark Gaughan). McGinn covers the team closely almost every day during the season while Sullivan comments from afar.

2) As such, McGinn has lots of sources within the team whereas Sullivan in 22 years in Buffalo has not developed any sources within the team. He never gives us a glimpse of the inner workings.

3) Sullivan never has any good insights, IMO. He tells us what most of us already know. If you read McGinn's pieces I think you get lots of insight that most people aren't aware of and/or confirmation or denial of things that were guessed at.

Dudes. Yawn. Nothing like going out on limb. It was a no brainer and I told you so... way back in the middle of the season. Everyone knew Edwards was a goner. But, I cautioned everyone then that it would mean Wanny taking over and a switch back to the 43. And, that's how it's gonna be.

The whole thing is a disaster and pretty much gives one a glimpse into the incompetence inside OBD. 3/4 of the moves over the past three off seasons, in terms of free agency and the draft, on defense must now be pretty much wasted and starting over from square one.

Trooth,

Sorry I cant agree with this.....where the bills failings shows is the fact that they are 2 years into a 3-4 but still dont have the complete set on the field.....we have to play 4-3 most of the time because we DONT have the 3-4 personnel.

- The strength of a 4-3 is in their DT's and their ability to stop the run and generate a pass rush....and we have that AND we have depth there with Spencer Johnson

- Kelsay is a natural DE....he goes back to his natural spot

- Our weakness is in our linebackers.....and this scheme requires one less to be on the field....Barnett can play in either

It seems to me that 43 makes more sense then just who is coaching it......but we need a monster pass rusher DE in the worst way.