Offseason Moves

Danny

1. Sign Stevie @ 7 million with performance based bonuses not to exceed 10 million (4 years).

2. Extend Levitre.

3. Target Mario Williams for 15-20 million with performance based bonuses not to exceed 20 mil. Reason, he was a 4-3 end when he came into the league, and a 3-4 OLB last

season. He was damn good at both.

4. Sign Bell @ whatever the average Left Tackle makes in the NFL. He isn't an elite tackle. Have a feeling someone in the league will drastically overpay, if thats the case let him walk.

5. Sign Chandler for slightly above the TE average and put in some performance based bonuses to enhance the contract.

6. Target Vincent Jackson. I would personally pay him around the 10 million mark with performance bonuses to reach 15 million.

7. Cortland Finnegan. Talk to him, see what he wants. I would sign him, but not for high end numbers.

8. Have Brad Smith start working with QB's more. Coach Lee brought the Wildcat in. Smith was successful with it when they ran it last year, and Smith can throw it too. Just another weapon.

9. Draft Upshaw, Blackmon, or Coples if they are there at 10. If they lost Bell then throw the best LT into the mix at 10. Leave the rest to Whaley.

10. Take a nap.

i like the idea of signing finnegan, could give the D an attitude. i think the D needs one and quite honestly, i think with a few upgrades, could be decent. i think there are things in place for them to build upon and be good.

The Bills are in an unlucky spot this year in regards to Bell.

There is not many quality LT that are FA. I know Bell can be debated on if he is quality or not, but he is 'the tallest midget'. No offense to any little people.

But this means Bell is probably going to get over paid- something Nix has shown he wont do.

Chandler is interesting- he could get easily $4-5 Mil from any team that needs a TE...so the Bills should keep him.

Stevie should be resigned for 7-8mil, solid number one money. I still think Stevie is a weak Number one/very good number two receiver.

To me, if you look at where Whaley came from they like to re-sign guys they drafted. You do not hear of the Steelers realy making a huge splash in FA. Draft good players, cultivate a positive/winning environment, then re-sign them.

This also builds chemistry, which is very important in the ultimate team game.

If the Bills do re-sign all their guys, then they really only need to add a FA DE/OLB or a WR. Maybe a little flashy like a Vincent Jackson.

They will also pick up a DB in FA. Do not think Finnegan will be the guy. But could be wrong.

Then draft in the first best DE/OLB.

Round 2 get a DB.

Round 3 front 7 help.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Keep in mind that we the Bills work with a cash to cap system so unless you save a bunch of money with the players you want to cut, you wont have alot of money to work with. :thumbsup:

You won't? Is there any evidence of this? A cash to cap system should mean that the amount of cash already committed to contracts this year is less than or equal to our salary number, unless there are a lot of roster bonuses this year.

If our current cap number is $105 million and the cap is $120 million, what is our current "Cash" number?

Uh oh, I feel another "let's trade Fred Jackson for a number one pick and use it to get...." post coming.

I know this is a joke, but I do wonder who the top 5 most valuable players on under contract are and what their trade value may be?

That's gotta be something you know in general terms at all time as a rebuilding gm right?

1. Sign Stevie @ 7 million with performance based bonuses not to exceed 10 million (4 years).

2. Extend Levitre.

3. Target Mario Williams for 15-20 million with performance based bonuses not to exceed 20 mil. Reason, he was a 4-3 end when he came into the league, and a 3-4 OLB last

season. He was damn good at both.

4. Sign Bell @ whatever the average Left Tackle makes in the NFL. He isn't an elite tackle. Have a feeling someone in the league will drastically overpay, if thats the case let him walk.

5. Sign Chandler for slightly above the TE average and put in some performance based bonuses to enhance the contract.

6. Target Vincent Jackson. I would personally pay him around the 10 million mark with performance bonuses to reach 15 million.

7. Cortland Finnegan. Talk to him, see what he wants. I would sign him, but not for high end numbers.

8. Have Brad Smith start working with QB's more. Coach Lee brought the Wildcat in. Smith was successful with it when they ran it last year, and Smith can throw it too. Just another weapon.

9. Draft Upshaw, Blackmon, or Coples if they are there at 10. If they lost Bell then throw the best LT into the mix at 10. Leave the rest to Whaley.

10. Take a nap.

Well done top to bottom.

And #10 is very well done.

You won't? Is there any evidence of this? A cash to cap system should mean that the amount of cash already committed to contracts this year is less than or equal to our salary number, unless there are a lot of roster bonuses this year.

If our current cap number is $105 million and the cap is $120 million, what is our current "Cash" number?

Okay, maybe i'm not thinking this through properly.. if not i apologize. But what i'm referring to is the fact that the Bills have to resign Stevie Johnson. That looks to be in the range of 7-9 mil. If you resign Chandler and/or Bell then you are looking at another what? 5 million each? If you sign only one of those you still have to spend another 1-2 million for Lindell. How much room does that really leave you to work with to sign big name free agents?

The reason i bring up cash to cap is because i thought that when a team gives a player a signing bonus it is spread out throughout the contract as far as its hit against the cap goes BUT doesnt a team like the bills count the whole signing bonus plus the first year base salary as cash they spent against the yearly cap? I think they do but i could definitely be wrong on that.

So assuming all that is accurate you can see what i mean about them not having as much maneuvering room as it seems. Unless you cut a player like Edwards or Spencer Johnson- each of which would save you about 3-4 million next year, in which case they'd have money to throw at someone else.

I know this is a joke, but I do wonder who the top 5 most valuable players on under contract are and what their trade value may be?

That's gotta be something you know in general terms at all time as a rebuilding gm right?

This is a great question. To my mind, the only player on our roster worth a #1 pick is Dareus and he's not for sale. Who would other teams covet?

CJ, FJ, Stevie, Wood, KW, Levetre and if he wasn't injured for part of last year, Aaron Williams. What they are worth now is a good question.

Danny asked me about thinning out the "herd" and that's a foregone conclusion for any team. I've heard rumors (I have ESPN Insider) that the Steelers might part ways with NT Casey Hampton this offseason, along with a LONG look at WR Hines Ward! It is inevitable in Pro Football to change personnel EVER year. With that premise, I'd say Bryan Scott, Andra Davis, Corey McIntyre, Terrence McGee, Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson, and to a much lesser extent Tyler Thigpen should have a bag packed near the door, to help them leave town and catch on with another NFL team!! The free agency list I produced fits the needs category, but I'm thinking Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey know that year 3 is the make-or-break mark in this rebuilding quest. It is NOT unreasonable to expect a playoff run this next season, because they will have the knowledge that they can play with anyone with good health and a roster influx of talent (Playmakers!!)! I am expecting a good team early in September, and we'll see where they go?!?!

Edited by Bflojohn

Danny asked me about thinning out the "herd" and that's a foregone conclusion for any team. I've heard rumors (I have ESPN Insider) that the Steelers might part ways with NT Casey Hampton this offseason, along with a LONG look at WR Hines Ward! It is inevitable in Pro Football to change personnel EVER year. With that premise, I'd say Bryan Scott, Andra Davis, Corey McIntyre, Terrence McGee, Dwan Edwards, Spencer Johnson, and to a much lesser extent Tyler Thigpen should have a bag packed near the door, to help them leave town and catch on with another NFL team!! The free agency list I produced fits the needs category, but I'm thinking Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey know that year 3 is the make-or-break mark in this rebuilding quest. It is NOT unreasonable to expect a playoff run this next season, because they will have the knowledge that they can play with anyone with good health and a roster influx of talent (Playmakers!!)! I am expecting a good team early in September, and we'll see where they go?!?!

I dont think they will cut McGee because while he makes 6 mil next year they would only save 2 mil by cutting him. The other 4 million is dead money. Maybe if they were against the wall and over the cap they might do it but it doesnt make sense in this case. Another guy in the same boat is Thigpen, he makes 3 million next year (yeah, i know) but the thing is, if you cut him you only save a mil. So you arent going to go out and find a better backup for a mil right? Well, maybe. But probably not. Especially since they seemed to overpay to get him in here to begin with.