MARVIN MCNUTT IOWA WIDE RECEIVER

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets keep in mind stats aren't everything.

McNutt - 6'2" 215lbs & runs a 4.52 40 yrd dash: 82 receptions, 1,315 yds & 12 TD

Jarius Wright: 5'10" 180lbs & runs a 4.34 40yrd dash: 66 receptions, 1117 yds & 11TD

Average yrds per play: Mcnutt: 16.0 Wright: 16.9

only had 1 less TD, higher average yards per reception, and only 198 fewer yards while having 16 fewer receptions. Also Wright played against SEC defenses that were exceptional this year.

Just based on stats it would look like Wright might be the better player to take but is that necessarily true? Blackmon is at the top because he is an exceptional athlete and you can't simply put numbers to numbers and expect them to define each player.

If stats were everything Brandon Weeden would be ahead of Luck.

Weeden: 4727yrds 37TD 13INT

Luck: 3517yrds 37TD 10INT

And OK State beat them in the bowl game

Regarding your statement above (in bold), and I don't mean to be argumentative, but what would you call McNutt? As I said in my first response, the kid received scholarships to college in THREE sports! That, by definition, is an EXCEPTIONAL ATHLETE.

Edited by Armchair GM

I'll say it again, Blackmon is head and shoulders above the rest in this WR class. There is no doubt about it. Coverages were not shifted around for McNutt the same way they were for Blackmon and Blackmon still destroyed the competition. The Stanford game is prime example of what he is, a beast.

Lets keep in mind stats aren't everything.

McNutt - 6'2" 215lbs & runs a 4.52 40 yrd dash: 82 receptions, 1,315 yds & 12 TD

Jarius Wright: 5'10" 180lbs & runs a 4.34 40yrd dash: 66 receptions, 1117 yds & 11TD

Average yrds per play: Mcnutt: 16.0 Wright: 16.9

only had 1 less TD, higher average yards per reception, and only 198 fewer yards while having 16 fewer receptions. Also Wright played against SEC defenses that were exceptional this year.

Just based on stats it would look like Wright might be the better player to take but is that necessarily true? Blackmon is at the top because he is an exceptional athlete and you can't simply put numbers to numbers and expect them to define each player.

If stats were everything Brandon Weeden would be ahead of Luck.

Weeden: 4727yrds 37TD 13INT

Luck: 3517yrds 37TD 10INT

And OK State beat them in the bowl game

To your point about stats....100% agree. That said, I think I'd rather have Wright's teammate, Joe Adams. Adam's 40 time is a mere .04 slower, he packs on about 15 more lbs. on the same frame (Wright is 175 @ best). Sure Adams only had 49 grabs for 630 yds & 3 TD's, but he also returned 4 punts for TD's and rushed for 139 yds on 9 carries, including a 92yd scamper for a score. Talk about dynamic!

1327013886[/url]' post='2366824']

There are other WR's I'd take in the 2nd round before McNutt, namely Dwight Jones and Nick Toon. Toon is a much more polished WR than is McNutt, and IMO Jones has the highest ceiling of any WR in this draft class. Now, if we waited until the 3rd round to address WR and McNutt was still on the board, I would be happy with the selection.

This^^^

For the few comparing Blackmon to McNutt.... Don't. I like McNutt and would love to snag him in rd 3. If somehow Jones, Toon and Sanu were all picked before our 2nd rd pick, I'd be happy drafting McNutt in the 2nd. He's no Blackmon though.

Nice post. Everyone keeps talking about the 1st pick, way to mix it up a bit and talk about later picks...This team has many needs, including a strong one at WR. I would be just fine if we took one of the guys mentioned above.

I have a feeling the Bills will look to FA for a WR though, and may not use an early pick on one...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Nice post. Everyone keeps talking about the 1st pick, way to mix it up a bit and talk about later picks...This team has many needs, including a strong one at WR. I would be just fine if we took one of the guys mentioned above.

I have a feeling the Bills will look to FA for a WR though, and may not use an early pick on one...

And that's how FAcy should work. You get the star players or core guys through the draft (QB, pass rusher, etc.) Then you use FAcy to fill in needs or positions that are secondary. If the Bills get a guy like Robert Meachem in FAcy, that would be a very good addition IMO. Saves a draft pick and fills a need at a secondary position.

To your point about stats....100% agree. That said, I think I'd rather have Wright's teammate, Joe Adams. Adam's 40 time is a mere .04 slower, he packs on about 15 more lbs. on the same frame (Wright is 175 @ best). Sure Adams only had 49 grabs for 630 yds & 3 TD's, but he also returned 4 punts for TD's and rushed for 139 yds on 9 carries, including a 92yd scamper for a score. Talk about dynamic!

Yea Joe adams is a great receiver undoubtedly. As to your point earlier on McNutt as a three scholarship athlete, I was unaware of that so point well taken. All I meant to imply is that given that they are the same size respectively, there is a little something extra that comes with Blackmon's exceptional athletic skills as a wide Receiver. He truly is well beyond the other receivers in this draft class.

• 5 weeks later...

Whenever i watched Iowa this guy stood out to me, he is a decent size at 215 pounds and 6'4

He was 2nd team all Big Ten as a junior

1st team all Big Ten as a senior

Rec Yrds TD

1 11 0

34 674 8

53 861 8

82 1315 12

Total: 170 2861 28

Watch these highlights

He is quick makes great moves

Has strength while making catches and holds onto the ball well

Has good awareness

The downfalls are that he is a converted QB so he has a thin lower body

^ and of course not much experience

And is coming off a shoulder injury

He is going to be at the combine and he is clocked at 4.52 on his 40 yard dash

Draft tek has him in the 6th round and just somebody to look at and see if we can develop him

Im thinking the reason he's viewed more as a mid round pick is he's not very fast. His highlight reel is impressive......but if he's running in the high 4.5s orlow 4.6s as expected it'll knock him down a little. As Mike Mayock says "big and fast is good. Big and slow isn't."

Also I believe McNutt was a bit over 6'2" at the senior bowl, so good size but not quite as tall as listed at Iowa.

Every year I hurt bad after a Bill's season. This last one took the cake after that awesome start. But its posts like these that bring me back up and my hope is restored. True Bills fan with passion and draft analysis. We all know and the pros always speak of "missing pieces" just a few missing pieces or a "play or two away from a win" C'mon lets face it, no one thought Giants would be there. NO ONE. Look at Cincy? Perhaps this McNutt guy could be the one to replace the Cowboy Cheerleader's boy Friend? Maybe a Bills coach sees this awesome analysis and fights to get this guy in an earlier round. Maybe this guy is the next Moss? Maybe this guy makes up for the Easly draft tragedy. I love the Bills and I cant f*cking wait for that missing piece or that play maker to come help Fred Jackson. I cant wait for a big time player to compliment Stevie and counter hometown heart breaker "Gronky Kong". Im getting sick of this sh*t. I wanna win.Thanks for the post and lets cross our fingers and we get this guy at least for your sake. You sir is the reason why im renewing my tix.

Every year I hurt bad after a Bill's season. This last one took the cake after that awesome start. But its posts like these that bring me back up and my hope is restored. True Bills fan with passion and draft analysis. We all know and the pros always speak of "missing pieces" just a few missing pieces or a "play or two away from a win" C'mon lets face it, no one thought Giants would be there. NO ONE. Look at Cincy? Perhaps this McNutt guy could be the one to replace the Cowboy Cheerleader's boy Friend? Maybe a Bills coach sees this awesome analysis and fights to get this guy in an earlier round. Maybe this guy is the next Moss? Maybe this guy makes up for the Easly draft tragedy. I love the Bills and I cant f*cking wait for that missing piece or that play maker to come help Fred Jackson. I cant wait for a big time player to compliment Stevie and counter hometown heart breaker "Gronky Kong". Im getting sick of this sh*t. I wanna win.Thanks for the post and lets cross our fingers and we get this guy at least for your sake. You sir is the reason why im renewing my tix.

Really? Someone help me out. This has to be sarcasm, right? This guy can't be for real...