Free Agent Tracker

silvermike

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/01/12/2012-free-agent-tracker/

This is a high quality list, as far as I can tell. We can obviously quibble with the ratings, but PFF's writers are thorough, and this is going to be a good starting place. Just to pull out top players at some potential need positions:

QB: Drew Brees, Alex Smith, Matt Flynn

WR: Wes Welker, Marques Colston, Dwayne Bowe

OT: Demetrius Bell(!), Anthony Collins, Jared Gaither

TE: Joel Dressen, Martellus Bennett, Jim Kleinsasser

DE: John Abraham, Calais Campbell, Michael Bennett

DT: Sione Pouha, Broderick Bunkley, Derek Landri

OLB: Erin Henderson, Jarrett Johnson, Mario Williams

MLB: Stephen Tulloch, London Fletcher, D'Qwell Jackson

CB:Brent Grimes, Cortland Finnegan, Ladarius Webb.

Edited by silvermike

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to see Dwayne Bowe as a Bill.

He ranked as one of the highest percentage of drops this year !! If i remember a article that i read on that subject b/c they were referencing how Stevie had so many drops .. No thanks if that is the case !!!!

He ranked as one of the highest percentage of drops this year !! If i remember a article that i read on that subject b/c they were referencing how Stevie had so many drops .. No thanks if that is the case !!!!

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/05/23/drop-percentage/

Bowe's got a definite drop problem: about one in six catchable balls thrown his way (excludes 2011). Still, that's not the only number that matters for a WR, and Bowe's ability to get open, get downfield, and make plays may be enough to accommodate for some bad drops, if we don't have other options.

PFF ranks Stevie as 8th among UFA WRs, behind not just stars like Mike Wallace and Wes Welker but also Brandon Lloyd and Jerricho Cotchery.

I think he would be more motivated to catch the ball better if he played for Chan Gailey, instead of Todd Haley.

i know that alot of Bills fans are interested in signing a high profile wr and i understand why. Hell even Nix mentioned the need for one. But personally i would rather sign a big name defensive player. Wr have a habit of blossoming sometimes when you least expect them to (stevie Johnson himself came out of nowhere a couple years ago).

And since im 100 percent sure we will be lucky if the Bills sign even one big FA, imo it should definitely be on defense.

Calais Campbell is the most versataile D lineman on the Cards, can play DE/DT in a 4-3, and DE in a 3-4. I also believe he finished with 8 sacks this season. Might go to the broncos if not re-signed, by the Cards as he's from Colorado originally. Love to see him on the Bills.

Calais Campbell is the most versataile D lineman on the Cards, can play DE/DT in a 4-3, and DE in a 3-4. I also believe he finished with 8 sacks this season. Might go to the broncos if not re-signed, by the Cards as he's from Colorado originally. Love to see him on the Bills.

Then one HAS to believe that Nix has him in the cross hairs...

I wouldn't mind seeing Mario Williams join, that would be a beefy line. He shouldn't be listed as a LB, 4-3 DE is his natural position.

Also it seems like people think Dareus will be playing DE this year, even if we go to a 4-3...There is almost no chance of that, he and KW would man the middle. That means we NEED at least one pass rushing end, with Kelsey manning the other until another suitable replacement is found. We have good big guys in KW, Dareus, Heard, Johnson, so DT's aren't really a need...now we need good outside pass rushing guys.

I like Bowe, SJ, and Garcon...They all drop balls, but are all playmakers as well.

I don't know a lot about Henderson, but we obviously need LB help as well.

I'm pretty sure Kleinsasser retired too...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I wouldn't mind seeing Mario Williams join, that would be a beefy line. He shouldn't be listed as a LB, 4-3 DE is his natural position.

Also it seems like people think Dareus will be playing DE this year, even if we go to a 4-3...There is almost no chance of that, he and KW would man the middle. That means we NEED at least one pass rushing end, with Kelsey manning the other until another suitable replacement is found. We have good big guys in KW, Dareus, Heard, Johnson, so DT's aren't really a need...now we need good outside pass rushing guys.

I like Bowe, SJ, and Garcon...They all drop balls, but are all playmakers as well.

I don't know a lot about Henderson, but we obviously need LB help as well.

This was my first thought going into the off-season as well. With Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin playing lights-out for Houston down the stretch, it's hard to imagine them ponying up $30M in guaranteed money, plus another $40M in salary and incentives, for Williams to go back to DE in a 3-4. I think it's more likely that they'll let him walk. I'd love to see Buffalo just toss the bank at Williams and stick him at RDE in a 4-3 with Williams and Dareus in the middle. I actually think Kelsay would be okay at LDE in that alignment. You'd still have D. Edwards/Troup/S. Johnson/K. Heard to choose from as interior backups, and you'd need to go out and draft another DE to provide pass rush (unless you think Moats or Batten can bulk up and play end, but I don't think either guy is NFL caliber at either end or LB).

I'd love to see another OLB as well, since I believe the 4-3 plan would include Sheppard starting at MLB (which he did at LSU) and Barnett kicking outside (where he played at Oregon State). Again, I'm not confident in guys like Batten, Moats, or Merriman to man this spot. Not too many solid 4-3 OLBs out there in FA though; the best of the bunch is probably Leroy Hill, but he's had some off-field problems in the past. I'd rather see them go after a guy like David Hawthorne or Curtis Lofton--both of whom play ILB, but are good enough athletes to play outside in a 4-3.

TE: Joel Dressen sounds good to me. I thought he was pretty solid as a blocker and receiving. If we could retain chandler and pick up Dressen that would give us some good options in a 2TE set. But that too unlike gailey to happen.

How nice would that be though?

TE: Joel Dressen sounds good to me. I thought he was pretty solid as a blocker and receiving. If we could retain chandler and pick up Dressen that would give us some good options in a 2TE set. But that too unlike gailey to happen.

How nice would that be though?

Just retaining Chandler would be sweet...The only real redzone threat we've had in a long time....But all signs point to us not resigning him. I get the feeling Gailey wants more speed at the position...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

This is a high quality list, as far as I can tell. We can obviously quibble with the ratings, but PFF's writers are thorough, and they going to be a good starting place. Just to pull out top players at some potential needs:

CB:Brent Grimes, Corland Finnegan, Ladarius Webb.

Just a quick note...Bell may be the top rated OT but he does not even crack the top 50 overall...Bad year for UFA OT's I guess...But I'm also guessing that means someone is going to try to over-pay him...

This is a high quality list, as far as I can tell. We can obviously quibble with the ratings, but PFF's writers are thorough, and they going to be a good starting place. Just to pull out top players at some potential needs:

CB:Brent Grimes, Corland Finnegan, Ladarius Webb.

I wouldn't mind Calais Campbell and Broderick Bunckley, as I think they would improve our depth. I really would like Mario Williams, but don't see that happening. Colston would be a great addition, but the Saints aren't letting him go

Just a quick note...Bell may be the top rated OT but he does not even crack the top 50 overall...Bad year for UFA OT's I guess...But I'm also guessing that means someone is going to try to over-pay him...

They do suggest that you don't compare ratings across positions, but still, not particularly promising.

I wouldn't mind Calais Campbell and Broderick Bunckley, as I think they would improve our depth. I really would like Mario Williams, but don't see that happening. Colston would be a great addition, but the Saints aren't letting him go

Calais Campbell is one of the few UFA's we should be targeting. He's the silver tuna.

El zilcho. But for what it's worth, the Pats have also not yet locked up their premier free agent, so perhaps the Bills' pace isn't unacceptable.

Who said it's unacceptable?

Are you suggesting it's unacceptable they haven't signed UFA's prior to the start of the FA period? While the 2011 is still going on to boot? :o

I am starting to get that sense too about Bell.

They just mentioned him here in ATL as the best LT available this offseason. The one host said no thank you(he is the more knowledgeable about football). But still the fact his name was even brought up.

He is a serviceable LT, good even. But when you factor in the injuries, he should get middle of the road LT money.

But if it gets in a biding war i got a feeling the Bills will step out early. Then expect a LT drafted early.

Which sucks because the Bills have a lot of other holes that needed to be filled.

London Fletcher is getting a bit long in the tooth, but he hinted at wanting to return to Buffalo when he won his Buffalo Sports award recently.

I know one thing for sure...the Bills could help themselves a tremendous amount by getting a Samoan on the defensive line.

That guy from Miami or from San Fran should do fine.

In regards to 4-3 DE, don't forget about Carrington...guy put on some "good" weight and lost some of the "bad" before the season started...so much they used him as an OLB, putting him at DE might work well...

Here is a picture of Alex Carrington at 285 can you tell me where the bad weight was hiding because I'd like to hid my bad weight the same way.

Alex Carrington

Here is a picture of Alex Carrington at 285 can you tell me where the bad weight was hiding because I'd like to hid my bad weight the same way.

Alex Carrington

Not to be picky, but that was his Junior Year picture...he had a little more around the "middle"...and I am in NO WAY picking on the guy, they drafted him with that exact physique in mind, I think to play the 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB, and when he got leaner this last off-season, they moved him from the 3-4 DE to OLB...to me, he's quick enough and good enough that his natural position is most likely the 4-3 DE, he can easily put on another 10 pounds for a little beef and put him in the 4-3 DE position and still be quite quick with good run Defense, a 3 down DE is rare...and I think he can do it....but I'm also most likely in the minority

Look at the word before unacceptable.

My bad, you're excused. :rolleyes:

Not to be picky, but that was his Junior Year picture...he had a little more around the "middle"...and I am in NO WAY picking on the guy, they drafted him with that exact physique in mind, I think to play the 3-4 DE or 3-4 OLB, and when he got leaner this last off-season, they moved him from the 3-4 DE to OLB...to me, he's quick enough and good enough that his natural position is most likely the 4-3 DE, he can easily put on another 10 pounds for a little beef and put him in the 4-3 DE position and still be quite quick with good run Defense, a 3 down DE is rare...and I think he can do it....but I'm also most likely in the minority

You shouldn't be...

any player worth a rats patoot is going to be re-signed by their team or franchised

Free agency is more or less a crap shoot, and the only teams that win at this really know their stuff in terms of talent evaluation.

Buddy Nix signed Cornell Green at RT his first year with the Buffalo Bills, and that was after he stated he was going to get some sleep when free agency opened that year. He did much better last year with Nick Barnett, but then if I remember correctly Barnett was released by the Packers.

I really gotta wonder If the Bills will really spend this year