ESPN Article on Bills in NY...

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I was happy to hear of this. I'm not sure what the terms of how they would have to spend the 84 million but that would be a nice boost. I think it would be almost as much as they got for playing some games in Toronto. Maybe this boost could come when their is a transition of ownership. That would be ideal. I'm not as big of a Ralph hater as a lot of guys on here, but I would still like to see a change in ownership. Could be coming soon!

I like Ralph.

He is sort of out of touch as we know, but I look at him sort of like family.

He's been there all our lives.

When he goes we will all be sad Im sure and respectful.

All the negativity will go away...with one exception:

If he leaves this team and fanbase out to dry after he dies and the team moves he'll

probably be burned in effigy..Otherwise we need to raise a bronze statue in Orchard park and name a street after him!

Very savvy move. The single easiest way he can buy votes in the WNY area. I have been impressed with Cuomo so far. Does anyone think Patterson would have done anything like this?

Yeah, I'm a Republican but I am very happy with Cuomo so far. He'll have my vote next time, if he's not onto the national ticket by then..........He really seems to have Upstate's back unlike any other governor in memory.

An 84 million dollar allocation from state government for a sports team. Sorry, but America has got it's priorities way out of wack. Sad.

[

I am a diehard Bills fan and dread the idea of them leaving, but honestly as a NY state (and erie county) property owner and tax payer I do not want ANY of my tax money going to ANY pro sports team in the state. period.

The NFL makes money hand over fist they might as well just print their own money they do not need public funding.

It's just more political patronage and pork to buy votes at the expense of taxpayers.

I like Ralph.

He is sort of out of touch as we know, but I look at him sort of like family.

He's been there all our lives.

When he goes we will all be sad Im sure and respectful.

All the negativity will go away...with one exception:

If he leaves this team and fanbase out to dry after he dies and the team moves he'll

probably be burned in effigy..Otherwise we need to raise a bronze statue in Orchard park and name a street after him!

Of all the "ralph" posts I've ever read here this is one of the best. Very well said in terms of how he will be viewed going forward. Now duck....here come the "he's made a billion dollars blah, blah, blah....." comments.

I get that he's made a ton of money and he's been seemingly cheap at times. I've also seen him spend big time in the early "plan b" free agency (matching Denver's offer for Bruce for example) and spent up to and over the cap (amortization of signing bonuses) trying to keep the super bowl bills together. Ultimately that put us in the Salary Cap Jail we heard so much about in the late 90's. Either way folks view him...I think your post sums it up well. If Ralph 'leaves' us in a good position to retain the franchise....he will be a hero forever.

[

I am a diehard Bills fan and dread the idea of them leaving, but honestly as a NY state (and erie county) property owner and tax payer I do not want ANY of my tax money going to ANY pro sports team in the state. period.

The NFL makes money hand over fist they might as well just print their own money they do not need public funding.

It's just more political patronage and pork to buy votes at the expense of taxpayers.

To play Devil's Advocate...

How many jobs are saved keeping the Bills in WNY? That includes jobs directly related to the Bills and all jobs associated with having a NFL team in the area.

Of all the "ralph" posts I've ever read here this is one of the best. Very well said in terms of how he will be viewed going forward. Now duck....here come the "he's made a billion dollars blah, blah, blah....." comments.

I get that he's made a ton of money and he's been seemingly cheap at times. I've also seen him spend big time in the early "plan b" free agency (matching Denver's offer for Bruce for example) and spent up to and over the cap (amortization of signing bonuses) trying to keep the super bowl bills together. Ultimately that put us in the Salary Cap Jail we heard so much about in the late 90's. Either way folks view him...I think your post sums it up well. If Ralph 'leaves' us in a good position to retain the franchise....he will be a hero forever.

That really does sum it up well........And, the part about him always being there. I've been saying for awhile that the only two constants since I became a sports fan at age 6 in 1968 is Joe Paterno being the head coach of Penn State and Ralph Wilson being the owner of the Bills. Now, I'm down to one.

To play Devil's Advocate...

How many jobs are saved keeping the Bills in WNY? That includes jobs directly related to the Bills and all jobs associated with having a NFL team in the area.

On top of the tax money generated by having these multi million dollar earners based in NY state. There are numerous economic benefits to the region having a team located in WNY. From toll booth traffic, hotel bookings, tax on merchandise, and many many other things that bring in a revenue stream. It is not like the Bills will be given 84 million dollars without any coming back in to the state coffers.

[

There are A LOT of things that I don't want my tax money to go towards but $84 Million to upgrade a COUNTY owned facility that the COUNTY earns revenue on is at least something that the state and county can get a return on.

The state should start by cutting the welfare and medicaid expenses which are three times the national average and start cracking down and welfare fraud and abuse, which costs us taxpayers and property owners substantially more than $84 Million.

Edited by ACor58

Gov. Andrew Cuomo's listing of "critical economic development investments" includes retaining the professional football franchise.

Critical economic development investment huh. Not sure about that, but I suspect this investment by Cuomo will yield him some western new york votes.

On top of the tax money generated by having these multi million dollar earners based in NY state. There are numerous economic benefits to the region having a team located in WNY. From toll booth traffic, hotel bookings, tax on merchandise, and many many other things that bring in a revenue stream. It is not like the Bills will be given 84 million dollars without any coming back in to the state coffers.

Exactly. Some people get way too worked up. Also, the 84 million is not all to the Bills. It's for economic development projects around the state, the amount to the Bills is not stated, but hopefully it will be enough to redo the Ralph in a manner that will attract corporate sponsors from Buffalo (if any big companies are left) and Toronto.