So, where's this "new NFL" I keep hearing about?

maddenboy

Balance, you need balance. BUT... the winners in all four games this weekend averaged 34.5 points. So offense sill matters because you can't win anymore with a super defense, as I am sure we'll see this coming week when the Pats offense outshines the Ravens defense.

I think for the Bills, the do need pass rush immediately because any move toward the playoffs is going to require improvement on defense, as well as offense.

The Niners had a pick 6, and 3 more turnovers to put their offenses in a good position to score.

Same with Bmore, and the giants, so in the long run, it was the defense that led the way!!!

Go Bills!!!

Balance, you need balance. BUT... the winners in all four games this weekend averaged 34.5 points. So offense sill matters because you can't win anymore with a super defense, as I am sure we'll see this coming week when the Pats offense outshines the Ravens defense.

I think for the Bills, the do need pass rush immediately because any move toward the playoffs is going to require improvement on defense, as well as offense.

Of course you still need Defense. How do you beat a team scoring 34.5 points per game? With a defense that slows them down!

Every game is really three games:

Our Offense versus your Defense

Our Defense versus your Offense

Our ST versus you ST.

If you want to win the game, you want to win all three battles. Or at least two of three. So Defense is just as important as before. It will always be important because it's 1/3 of the final result.

Ranking defenses by yards is also useless. How many times were the Patriots in the lead in the fourth quarter and didn't care about giving up yards? There should be a composite ranking that highlights turnovers, red zone defense, 3rd down stops, and finally yards. If they can do it for a QB ranking they can do it for defenses as well.

The Niners had a pick 6, and 3 more turnovers to put their offenses in a good position to score.

Same with Bmore, and the giants, so in the long run, it was the defense that led the way!!!

Go Bills!!!

+1

exactly what I was trying to say in my long post also.

I have been clamoring here for some Linebackers in this draft. Pass rushers and run stuffers.

Recently, i've been swayed a little by the posts (Peter King and others) about the New NFL being about "pass and stop the pass."

After this weekend, I think we see that Power, Big Man football still can win. Even over powerhouses like Packers and Saints.

I was warming to drafting a WR in the first, but now I just want pass rush and more pass rush. After that, some more pass rush, please.

Funny how all of these people that have bought into the "it's passing league" trend. It is more pass heavy than it has been because of rule changes. Defenses will catch up to be sure. The NFL being a passing league doesn't mean the only way you can win is with an elite soon to be hall of famer at QB. You still need to run the ball and you sure as HELL still need to play defense.

Funny how the 2 best QBs in the league are already out of the playoffs and the teams with better defenses won ;) If Brady goes down next weekend I wonder what people will say then? Maybe something along the lines of "defense wins championships"? ...lol

Edited by PDaDdy

I feel like it's the same in the NHL and the NBA to some extent. They want more exciting regular season games so they make the defending rules more strict but then swallow the whistles during the playoffs. Pretty frustrating trying to build a team when that happens but that encourages building a balanced team.

I'll always remember the high flying Colts teams that were mugged out of the playoffs by New England and someone else in consecutive years and the NFL finally realized how much the refs stopped calling PI and Illegal Contact in the playoffs.

Still have to build for balance. That's why San Fran and New York Giants look really good right now. Allows regular season AND post season success.

As all Sabres fans know, it's dumb to create an awesomely skilled team that can fly around the ice for 82 games and then get mugged out of the playoffs bc nothing is called.

Rush the passer that is the modern NFL defense. Stop the run while rushing the passer. We need at least two pass rushers in FA or from the draft to add to the front seven...

How is this new. Does anyone remember Bruce Smith and what he did to get in the hall of fame? There are many different ways to win in football. Dominant pash rush is one.

Ranking defenses by yards is also useless. How many times were the Patriots in the lead in the fourth quarter and didn't care about giving up yards? There should be a composite ranking that highlights turnovers, red zone defense, 3rd down stops, and finally yards. If they can do it for a QB ranking they can do it for defenses as well.

Well, there is. It's called the opposition's final score.

I have been clamoring here for some Linebackers in this draft. Pass rushers and run stuffers.

Recently, i've been swayed a little by the posts (Peter King and others) about the New NFL being about "pass and stop the pass."

After this weekend, I think we see that Power, Big Man football still can win. Even over powerhouses like Packers and Saints.

I was warming to drafting a WR in the first, but now I just want pass rush and more pass rush. After that, some more pass rush, please.

If you want to use a small sample size of one weekends game and ignore the trend of the last decade, then go ahead. But if you noticed the Pats dont have a D and are ripping through the playoffs...so, again, you can pick and choose what you want but It still doesnt change that this is a passing league now. Doesnt mean you cant win with a dominant defense still, but do you even realize how MANY players we are away from a defense like the Ravens and 49ers?

Eli Manning gets no credit?

Someone explain to me how he is NOT an elite top 5-6 QB in this league.

Anyone who thinks Eli isn't an elite QB doesn't understand the game or doesn't watch him play. Look at his track record. He won the super bowl MVP by besting Brady during the greatest season a QB has ever had (Brady that is), now he comes out and beats Rodgers on the road after he had maybe the second best season a QB has had.

Eli is crazy clutch AND a top 5 QB in the game today.

I see two teams with elite passing QB's still in the playoffs and two teams with elite defenses still in the playoffs. Not sure much of a conclusion can be drawn from this either way.

Only one of the remaining QBs left was NOT a first round draft pick. Two of them were #1 overall. The only one who wasn't taken with a team's first pick is a first ballot hall of famer and possibly the best QB ever to play the game.

Not that this has anything to do with this thread but....Joe Flacco blows. Multiple times he would get 4-5 seconds in the pocket and still get sacked. Maybe his receivers weren't getting open, but get rid of the damn ball somehow. On that note, Lee Evans catch was awesome.

I also dont know what to think of this Yates kid. He makes some awesome, veteran throws and then the next play throws into triple coverage off his back foot. I guess that's why he's a rook.

Don't really have an opinion on Flacco, but Yates--he looks like a great QB who plays well beyond his years. Dude's played only eight games. I think most fans will forgive the throws into triple coverage off his back foot. As for Evans, the guy is the ultimate phantom. Draws double coverage where ever he runs, gets like one catch a game, and everyone clamors for him. Not saying we should've traded him, but so far that 4th rounder is looking sweet.