Tight Enda

Catmanjax

I'm almost certain that if Chandler played with Brady, he would've caught at least 15 more passes this season with at least 2 more TDs. That being said, no he is not Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham, but he is better than he appears, based on the system he plays in where the coach want to throw 3 yard routes to WRs half the game, and stick with 5 wide sets, instead of creating favorable matchups like these other teams do!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be nice but besides the Bills having bigger needs, these ultra tight ends are hard to come by.

There's only about 5-6 of these guys in the NFL.

I don't know if there are any in this year's draft but I haven't heard that there is.

Guys like Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis don't come out every year.

Actually, they do! Gronkowski, Graham and Hernandez all came out in the 2010 draft. We had a chance to draft every one of them (2nd, 3rd and 4th round) and instead selected Troup, Carrington and Easley!

Name the good tight ends in the NFL.

I would bet that maybe 1 in 4 teams has a difference-making tight end.

The Bills problem (if you want to complain about something) is not that they don't have a good tight end… it's that they only have one good wide receiver.

An elite tight end is a luxury… especially if you don't have good wide receivers.

If the Bills had Megatron playing opposite Stevie Johnson, there would be no conversation about tight ends.

It would be nice if the Bills had an elite tight end.

I'm a bit more worried about pass rusher, wide receiver...

Actually pettigrew is pretty good and a significant contributor to the lions offense.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

i have read some reviews about our TE situation and all of them have ended saying that Chan does not really care about them.

Chandler has peaked and is a nice option for Fitz and Chan's play calling if he can stay healthy. But this guy Smith is more what Chan wants. A big nasty blocker.

The tight ends on our team are used differntly then Gronkowski and Hernandez in pass. But both those guys can put a hit out there as shown last nite though.

I realize this is off track but still about tight ends and the afc... What we really need is a way to defend players like the Patriots have or we will never win the division. Thats was all i could think of last night as they dominated play after play. Heck Hernandez played halfback.

As mentioned wisely it's play calling that defines the success of our tight ends moreso than the individual and i would be surprised if we ever drafted one above a # 5 pick.

answer is simple if u want a TE that can be a solid threat and also a threat after catch and thats fleener... guy was go to guy for luck and didnt always put up numbers cuz of lack of outside threats there so he saw alot of double teams, but he has most upside and star potential "new breed" of tight end..

TE's carry teams w/ out WRs. Pats. 49ers. That's just today. It's well known a QB's best friend is a dominate TE.

And Chandler is not a dominate TE. He is average. It's the truth. Average gets TDs/first downs form time to time and that's what Chandler does.

Crabtree and Welker aren't WRs?

I'm almost certain that if Chandler played with Brady, he would've caught at least 15 more passes this season with at least 2 more TDs. That being said, no he is not Gronkowski or Jimmy Graham, but he is better than he appears, based on the system he plays in where the coach want to throw 3 yard routes to WRs half the game, and stick with 5 wide sets, instead of creating favorable matchups like these other teams do!

I doubt that. This kid doesn't seem very durable--not to be used the way Hernandez, Gronk, Graham are used.

I'm not sure how you determined that he "is better than he appears". He has no previous history to base that on.

Actually, they do! Gronkowski, Graham and Hernandez all came out in the 2010 draft. We had a chance to draft every one of them (2nd, 3rd and 4th round) and instead selected Troup, Carrington and Easley!

Good debate and good points on both sides.

I said the ultra elite tight ends don't come out every year.

The fact that 3 came out in one year doesn't invalidate my point.

If one came out every year there would be at least 10 of these guys in the league from the last ten drafts.

There aren't.

Now maybe it's a trend in football and more talented athletes will be moved to tight end and we'll see more guys with the pioneering skills of Gonzales and Gates. But even after these two guys entered the league years ago, it didn't start a movement of basketball player type tight ends.

The fact remains, even if you put guys like Brandon Pettigrew or Jermaine Gresham in this class (and that's debatable) these guys don't come out in every draft class.

It would be nice but besides the Bills having bigger needs, these ultra tight ends are hard to come by.

There's only about 5-6 of these guys in the NFL.

I don't know if there are any in this year's draft but I haven't heard that there is.

Guys like Jimmy Graham and Vernon Davis don't come out every year.

That's true, and when they do come out, we pick a NT with a history of chronic back problems who has had ZERO impact to date instead of the best TE in the league, rather we let the Pats grab him. :wallbash:

We have never had a great one. There have been a few very good ones.

But one thing is certain. For 60 years we have never been able to cover any of the good ones. This year was no different.

My concern exactly. 60 years is a long time to get beat by big dumb tight end basketball players who play well under the board!

My concern exactly. 60 years is a long time to get beat by big dumb tight end basketball players who play well under the board!

Well Finley, Fred Davis and I believe Lewis as well are FA's. And Orson Charles will be available in the draft.

Edited by mob16151