Wannstedt flew to Detroit to meet with Ralph

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-9178.html

After Bills coach Chan Gailey named assistant head coach Dave Wannstedt his new defensive coordinator, the team flew Wannstedt to Detroit to meet with team owner Ralph Wilson late last week for a session to get better acquainted. Accompanying Wannstedt on the trip were Gailey, general manager Buddy Nix and vice president Jim Overdorf.

I don't have any real spin on this other than to highlight the attendance of the Bean Counter. I found it interesting enough to pass along.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Coach.

Pompei also writes briefly about the Music City Miracle in his piece and does a brief overview of the OLB's available this year:

Scout Talk: Outside Linebackers in the 2012 Draft

There does not appear to be a top of the draft outside linebacker this year. Bruce Irvin of West Virginia carried high grades early, but his stock has fallen according to a few scouts I’ve spoken with. He still is an attractive candidate for 3-4 teams because of his explosive first step, but Irvin can’t do much beside pass rush, and some scouts question his intangibles. He could be taken off some draft boards, and isn’t likely to be taken before the second round.

It’s possible four outside linebackers—Zach Brown of North Carolina, Keenan Robinson of Texas, Danny Trevathan of Kentucky and Lavonte David of Nebraska--could be chosen ahead of Irvin.

Brown, who has excellent size and athleticism to make plays sideline to sideline, might be the only slam dunk first rounder. Teams with four man fronts will like him a lot better than teams with three man fronts.

Robinson had a good season and is athletic and physical. Trevathan is a little undersized but his movement skills will fit great in some 4-3 schemes. David scores high with instincts and toughness, but isn’t quite as big as you’d like.

Two backers who could be third round considerations are Notre Dame’s Darius Fleming (he’ll be coveted by 3-4 teams for his pass rush) and Oklahoma’s Travis Lewis (his 2012 season didn’t live up to the hype, but he still has potential).

Others to keep an eye on include Brandon Lindsey of Pittsburgh, Brandon Marshall of Nevada-Reno, Sean Spence of Miami and Nigel Bradham of Florida State.

After Bills coach Chan Gailey named assistant head coach Dave Wannstedt his new defensive coordinator, the team flew Wannstedt to Detroit to meet with team owner Ralph Wilson late last week for a session to get better acquainted. Accompanying Wannstedt on the trip were Gailey, general manager Buddy Nix and vice president Jim Overdorf.

I don't have any real spin on this other than to highlight the attendance of the Bean Counter. I found it interesting enough to pass along.

Bean counters are always there, especially when it's between top people, because they have to go over player contracts, the cap, etc. These are routine meetings in the off season.

It IS interesting... I doubt they did anything like that with George Edwards... Dave is a big name for sure... Let's just hope things get turned around here soon cuz I can just imagine how good it must have felt for Lions fans watching the game last night (before they lost of course)... It's playoffs or bust this year... Or at least make a really strong push for the playoffs... If it takes Wanstache to use up his frequent flier mileage to get to the playoffs then I'm for it........

"Hello Mr. Wilson, my name is Dave Wannstedt....no, WANNSTEDT. Yes, we've met before, when you hired me last season."

Thanks Coach.

Pompei also writes briefly about the Music City Miracle in his piece and does a brief overview of the OLB's available this year:

There does not appear to be a top of the draft outside linebacker this year. Bruce Irvin of West Virginia carried high grades early, but his stock has fallen according to a few scouts I’ve spoken with. He still is an attractive candidate for 3-4 teams because of his explosive first step, but Irvin can’t do much beside pass rush, and some scouts question his intangibles. He could be taken off some draft boards, and isn’t likely to be taken before the second round.

It’s possible four outside linebackers—Zach Brown of North Carolina, Keenan Robinson of Texas, Danny Trevathan of Kentucky and Lavonte David of Nebraska--could be chosen ahead of Irvin.

Brown, who has excellent size and athleticism to make plays sideline to sideline, might be the only slam dunk first rounder. Teams with four man fronts will like him a lot better than teams with three man fronts.

Robinson had a good season and is athletic and physical. Trevathan is a little undersized but his movement skills will fit great in some 4-3 schemes. David scores high with instincts and toughness, but isn’t quite as big as you’d like.

Two backers who could be third round considerations are Notre Dame’s Darius Fleming (he’ll be coveted by 3-4 teams for his pass rush) and Oklahoma’s Travis Lewis (his 2012 season didn’t live up to the hype, but he still has potential).

Others to keep an eye on include Brandon Lindsey of Pittsburgh, Brandon Marshall of Nevada-Reno, Sean Spence of Miami and Nigel Bradham of Florida State.

Am I the only one who found it interesting that Upshaw was not mentioned in this article?

Chris Brown's blog had a little bit about it last week (scroll to bottom):

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/01/06/fan-friday-1-6/

"New Defensive Coordinator Dave Wannstedt flew to Detroit (along with Head Coach Chan Gailey) this week to discuss the 4-3 vs. 3-4 defense as well as drafting needs in April for the defense."

It IS interesting... I doubt they did anything like that with George Edwards... Dave is a big name for sure... Let's just hope things get turned around here soon cuz I can just imagine how good it must have felt for Lions fans watching the game last night (before they lost of course)... It's playoffs or bust this year... Or at least make a really strong push for the playoffs... If it takes Wanstache to use up his frequent flier mileage to get to the playoffs then I'm for it........

I'm pretty certain George Edwards and all of the other coaches meet with Mr. Wilson. He's paying them. Why do you think he wouldn't meet them? That's just standard business operations. And a guy who is as involved as Mr. Wilson is you know he meets anybody he's paying.

i swear the fanbase here will find anything to try and make things look negative. The new defensive co-ordinator flew with the headcoach, gm and team vice president to visit the owner at his home to discuss the direction of the team? No other team does something like this.

People seem to forget that while Overdorf may be more of a financial/accounting guy, he is still the teams vice president, and making deals in this league involve money, and financial decisions........

Am I the only one who found it interesting that Upshaw was not mentioned in this article?

I'm still not convinced he has the wheels to play outside in this league. He looks a little sluggish at times.

That is very weird.

I know he has similar size to Freeney so maybe he's being viewed as a 4-3 DE?

That's just a wild guess… he should have been mentioned.

I wonder. Draft Tek says his #2 position is SILB, but his value there is 100 points less than OLB.

I'm still not convinced he has the wheels to play outside in this league. He looks a little sluggish at times.

His performance at the combine and his pro day will tell.

Thanks Coach.

Lavonte David would be a great pick in the third and we would do well to pick him there.

Chris Brown's blog had a little bit about it last week (scroll to bottom):

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/01/06/fan-friday-1-6/

"New Defensive Coordinator Dave Wannstedt flew to Detroit (along with Head Coach Chan Gailey) this week to discuss the 4-3 vs. 3-4 defense as well as drafting needs in April for the defense."

you :censored::P

I wonder. Draft Tek says his #2 position is SILB, but his value there is 100 points less than OLB.

His performance at the combine and his pro day will tell.

Yeah, it will add a little more data. But if scouts have decided he doesn't move all that well in pads, putting up a good time on turf in shorts and a t-shirta in a sprint he's been specifically training for isn't likely to do a whole to to change their perceptions. If he's not fast enough during a game, it doesn't matter if he's fast enough in a light practice.

Yeah, it will add a little more data. But if scouts have decided he doesn't move all that well in pads, putting up a good time on turf in shorts and a t-shirta in a sprint he's been specifically training for isn't likely to do a whole to to change their perceptions. If he's not fast enough during a game, it doesn't matter if he's fast enough in a light practice.

Let's say we draft him, as many on this board would like to see. Is he the get-up-the-field-attack-the-QB guy, or is he a set-the-edge, complimentary pass rusher?

Melvin Ingram also notably missing

Isn't he being looked at more as a 4-3 DE? Draft Tek has that as his primary position. Same thing with Mercilus.

"Hello Mr. Wilson, my name is Dave Wannstedt....no, WANNSTEDT. Yes, we've met before, when you hired me last season."

HAHAHAHAHA...

I'm pretty certain George Edwards and all of the other coaches meet with Mr. Wilson. He's paying them. Why do you think he wouldn't meet them? That's just standard business operations. And a guy who is as involved as Mr. Wilson is you know he meets anybody he's paying.

Well you may be definitely right in fact I believe you are but, it still says something when Wanstache going to meet with Mr. Wilson becomes an "article" by reporters... I'm just looking forward to seeing what he's gonna bring to the defense...