Mort still can't get over Donahoe firing

FluffHead

I can't link from my mobile, but mortensen just tweeted along the lines if "sure is funny how many Players Donahoe signed in buffalo are playing great football elsewhere (Jabari Greer)". He's correct about Greer but there aren't many elsewhere. Seemed like another shot at buffalo by mort when I thought that ship had sailed

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't link from my mobile, but mortensen just tweeted along the lines if "sure is funny how many Players Donahoe signed in buffalo are playing great football elsewhere (Jabari Greer)". He's correct about Greer but there aren't many elsewhere. Seemed like another shot at buffalo by mort when I thought that ship had sailed

He trotted out the EXACT same quote during the Saints SB run a couple years ago.

GO BILLS!!!

mortreport Chris Mortensen

Sure is interesting on how many players Tom Donahoe drafted or signed in Buffalo that are still playing at high level in NFL #JabariGreer

It is interesting, too bad he couldn't pick a coach.

Edited by Carey Bender

Donahoe made a lot of great moves and balanced them with awful moves. Nix and Jauron/Marv make slightly above average moves and balance them with below average moves. The former was a lot more exciting, but not really any more successful. Although Donahoe gave us our only non-losing seasons of the post-Butler era.

I just looked 2001-2005 Donahoe.....wow great drafts

McGahee is still doing alright on his third team 4th 1000 yard season in 9 years

Clements - had a good bounce back year for Bengals

Haggan - still hanging around with Broncos

Lee Evans- injured year about done with Ravens

Kelsay- still with Bills obviously

Greer as mentioned before

that's 6 guys nobody really a difference maker

his drafts were brutal look them up

Donahoe made a lot of great moves and balanced them with awful moves. Nix and Jauron/Marv make slightly above average moves and balance them with below average moves. The former was a lot more exciting, but not really any more successful. Although Donahoe gave us our only non-losing seasons of the post-Butler era.

I would reverse that...but I know I am in the minority. Particularly in the Jauron/Levy/Brandon time, there was truly awful football management.

I really think the Bills were much closer to being a playoff team when TD was fired, than they are right now. Name a GM who doesn't make mistakes. What I liked about TD, he was a master at working the cap, rarely (if ever) over-payed FA's, and took real, bold moves to address issues. They weren't always the right moves, but he also wasn't afraid to cut his losses. People point the Mike Williams and McGahee picks as terrible...but almost any GM would have picked Mike Williams, with the same needs, when TD did. And, for all the BS about McGahee, he has a solid, if not spectacular, career. He pissed off Bills fans on his way out, but there were few gripes (that I recall) about him as a teammate, or his lack of work ethic.

To me, TD's biggest blunder was forcing Mularkey to make Losman the starter, before he was ready. It was bad for the team, and possibly, hurt Losman. It may have been the right move to dump Bledsoe at the time, but Kelly Holcomb wasn't an adequate replacement.

In the end, it was more the relationship that TD had with the owner, and some other front office people that likely got him fired...more so than the wins and losses.

his drafts were brutal look them up

Well...this may all be true, but lets look back on the drafts since, in another 6 years, and see how bad those were.

I will go to my grave swearing that trading up to pick JP Losman in the first round was not as bad a move as trading up to pick John "friggin" McCargo! A guy still waiting, after 6 years, to make an impact of any kind, other than a franchise salary cap.

Edited by Buftex

I still think this franchise would be in a better place today, if TD hadn't been canned. I also don't think Mike Mularkey was a bad coach. What happened after TD was fired really set this franchise back.

You are right. TD was better than the alternative.

There are Mularkey supporters.....I am not one. Indeed, he is a good assistant coach and I will take Simon's word that he is a very good guy but the HC job was too much for him to handle. TD did not hire quality head coaches. He got a lot of credit for choosing Bill Cowher in Pittsburgh, but as it turns out he was choosing between Cowher, Mike Holmgren and Dennis Green three of the very best coaches of the decade.

Edited by Dick Drawn

mortreport Chris Mortensen

Sure is interesting on how many players Tom Donahoe drafted or signed in Buffalo that are still playing at high level in NFL #JabariGreer

It is interesting, too bad he couldn't pick a coach.

My reply to him was very similar...

@mortreport Even more interesting is how many eventual good HCs he passed over in Buffalo for guys who have done nothing but OC & DC since..

Donahoe was a pretty good GM for the Bills. I feel that people who say otherwise are unfairly bitter.

Let's look at his drafts:

1 - Nate Clements

2 - Aaron Schobel

2 - Travis Henry

3 - Ron Edwards

amazing draft

1 - Mike Williams

2 - Josh Reed

2 - Ryan Denney

3 - Coy Wire

poor draft, obv williams ruined it

1 - Willis McGahee

2 - Chris Kelsay

3 - Angelo Crowell

4 - Terrence McGee

another great draft

1 - Lee Evans

1 - JP Losman

rolled the dice on a QB. didn't work out but you have to take your shots.

2 - Roscoe Parrish

mortgaged the 2005 draft in 2004

Donahoe also did very well in free agency, building a great defense by bringing in guys like Spikes, Fletcher, Adams.

Williams and Losman were HUGE failures and ruined his time with the Bills. He let some guys like Winfield and Pat Williams and such go in free agency when perhaps they could have been kept.

He made some big mistakes, but the Bills were competitive under him and if his big franchise picks at QB and T had panned out a little better they might have turned the corner.

Most importantly, though, during the Donahoe era there was at least a feeling of HOPE, and the Bills were legitimately close to being a contender. Since he left they haven't been even remotely close to doing anything.

Sorry in advance to the Ralph Wilson apologists....but it seems the only thing that makes Donahoe look any better (or even on par) with those who followed him as GM / Shot caller, is that Wilson was still willing to commit money to big FAs back then, as opposed to the years that followed, where's he's packed it in in preperation for his death and maximizing profitability in the impending sale. If Levy or Nix had the cash TD was given to spend in free agency, I kind of think we might be watching the Bills play this weekend.

Edited by DC Grid

I still think this franchise would be in a better place today, if TD hadn't been canned. I also don't think Mike Mularkey was a bad coach. What happened after TD was fired really set this franchise back.

I think we're probably the only two left who feel that way, but I'm not givin' in if you're not!! :w00t:

Sorry fellas but he is probably right. How about McGahee as well. One of the biggest issues with Buffalo is the fanbase and the media in Buffalo. They are extremely quick to get negative. This puts a ton of pressure on the organization to make abrupt changes. It also somewhat fills the psychis of the players constantly reading how much they suck in the papers and hearing it from fans on the radio etc. I'm sure most of this board was calling for Mularkey's firing. He was probably a pretty decent coach. Wade Phillips wasn't popular in buffalo yet he was leading us to the playoffs somewhat consistently. Fact is, all the negative mindsets who are quick to say "we suck" is a significant part of the problem. Face it boys.