Mort still can't get over Donahoe firing

FluffHead

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ya Greer 1 pick on the 24th ranked D that played 3 winning teams all year. As long as the O scores 50 that D can survive.

Lions, giants, Atlanta (x2), Houston, Chicago, tenessee, and green bay

And he played lights out - man coverage on an island with a blitzing defense. Hard to get a lot of picks with your back to the qb.

Tom Donahoe is still the reason why this team will not a lot of big free agents... Remember Donahoe said that Drew Brees would never make it in the NFL.....LOL !!!!!

Go Bills!!!!

No, I don't remember that. Quick google search finds no mention of that either...

Explain to me how TD is the "still the reason" the Bills can't draw "big free agents".

TD was a very mediocre GM who struggled to find a coach and QB as well as put the team in a bad cap situation BUT he did stack the D with talent and found a couple players here and there on offense. While Marv/Jauron/Brandon were terrible at running the team. In the end both era's were turrible to quote Charles Barkley.

I think your memory is a little hazy here....he did not put the team in a bad cap situation. Mastering the salary cap while working for a conservative owner, and still signing upper tier free agents were some of the things he did better than anyone else.

Edited by Buftex

Good post, but my understanding is that wilson had a lot to do with getting rid of bledsoe. As you'll recall, he watched the final game of the 2004 season in the owner's box and was quite disgusted. Ralph of course is well known for making rash demands ...

Yes, Ralph was disgusted with Bledsoe. TD took that as the opportunity to jump-start the Losman era... don't remember all the specifics anymore, but Mularkey was not on board with that move, unless they had another experienced vet to cover should Losman fail...TD came up with a journeyman in Kelly Holcomb. He wasn't adequate...the Bills likely would have been better off sticking with Bledsoe one more year. Front office/coaches were very split on Losman. Mularkey, Modrak and Sam Wyche liked him, but didn't really feel like he was a franchise-type QB, but more a raw prospect who would need time. Modrak was opposed to drafting him in the first round, viewing him as more a third or even 4th round talent. They did agree, however, that he was the best QB available at that point.

I suppose the reason I feel like we were in better hands with TD, he was building a team a piece or two at a time. What we have seen since, it feels to me, is an approach of taking one step forward, and two steps back. It sometimes feels like the Bills create their own problems. This isn't meant as a knock on the owner, but anyone who were to general manage, or coach this team, has to be cognizant of the fact that money is an obstacle to overcome in running this team. Marv Levy even eluded to this when he re-signed. I just think TD was able to manuver the situation better than the guy who have come since.

Ultimately, though, I suppose it is foolish to argue that one was so superior to the others, when the results were about the same.

Lions, giants, Atlanta (x2), Houston, Chicago, tenessee, and green bay

And he played lights out - man coverage on an island with a blitzing defense. Hard to get a lot of picks with your back to the qb.

and giving up points by the bushel

and what is chicago and tennessee ?

Edited by CardinalScotts

TD is the one of the worst thing that happened to this franchise and is the main reason for this awful decade. Ralph, who has trust issues, gave him full control over everything. He was the hot FA personnel guy and a "football guy." The Bills went 31-49.

Some of TD's hits:

- Mike Williams - can't kill him too much on this but the guy was a RT with bad feet. Still not his worst blunder.

- Drafting a midget punt returner with our first pick of the draft.

- Using a 1st on Willis

- Letting PAt Williams walk. He love Buffalo and wanted to be here. At least he had Tim Anderson to step in.

- Trading a 1st to your division rival for their backup QB. I actually liked the move but it completely blew up in our face.

- Trading up and drafting the "4th" best QB in the 1st round.

- Letting Bledsoe walk and letting Losman take over a 9-7

- Letting Rueben Brown go

- Telling the faces he was ashamed of WNY

- Bringing those clown uniforms to the team

TD was flat out awful and anyone who says different is crazy. As bad as Brandon and Levy were, they were still better than TD. And those 2 were only hired after Ralph stopped trusting outsiders. TD is the face of one of the most awful decades in Bills' football. He is truly the devil. :devil:

Mort is right.

TD can't pick a coach? When you have ownership like Buffalo does...does it matter?

Donahoe had full control over the decision making as president and GM when he was in Buffalo... He could have hired who he wanted..

He interviewed guys like Marvin Lewis and John Fox and passed them over for Gregg Williams.... Lewis has been HC for how many years now in Cincy? And just took a talented young team to the playoffs... Fox did the same in Carolina with several playoff bids and went to a SB... He's doing the same his first year in Denver...

After these interviews and Williams hiring, Marvin Lewis' agent had this to say: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/story?id=99873&page=1#.Twt17Bxy9j4

Lewis' agent, Ray Anderson, was dismayed over the Bills' decision.

"We just are disappointed in the process and the lack of any consistent dialogue or communication during the process," Anderson said, adding that Donahoe informed Lewis of his decision about 1:15 p.m.

Hmmmm... Lack of consistent dialogue or communication with Donahoe?? Sounds like a complaint he got from a lot of people while here... along with a heightened sense of arrogance and refusal to take any advisement from others under consideration... It was his way or the highway... And choosing Williams over Lewis or Fox showed that he felt he was the smartest man in the room and needed to prove it to the world.

As far as the Mularkey hiring, I'm still not sure if he would have been successful or not.. He seemed like a better hire than Williams.. But remember, Donahoe had a chance to hire Lovie Smith or Romeo Crennel too... We'll see if Crennel has success in KC, unlike Cleveland... But Lovie Smith, much like Fox, has had several playoff bids and a SB appearance in Chicago... Here's an article on Donahoe's options in 2004: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/bills/2004-01-07-coaching-search_x.htm

Also, Mularkey wanted Ken Whisenhunt (a great OC with Pit. which eventually got him the HC job in Arz.) as his OC... Donahoe overruled him and hired Tom Clements instead.

All in all, the way I see it, he passed over some great opportunities to hire eventual successful HCs (and assistants) for guys he felt would make him look brilliant, ala the Bill Cowher hiring, if they worked out... He outsmarted himself...

Here's one other good article on Donahoe's mistakes in Buffalo: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/4/1/816875/seven-ways-donahoe-destroyed-the

You'll notice Mistake #1, 6 & 7 are exactly what I'm talking about..

and giving up points by the bushel

and what is chicago and tennessee ?

Tenessee was above .500 and Chicago finished .500 and was fully healthy before this forte-cutler injury tailspin when they played.

And when you score like the saints do, of course you give up more points. The other team gets more possessions and there's more garbage time points....

Feel free to add a x2 behind lions, and the 9ers coming up to the list of 3 winning teams.... They played a tough schedule and blew out playoff teams regularly.

Edited by NoSaint

I'm not here to argue how good or bad TD was. I'm thinking about how many of our GMs and coaches were sent packing because of a rift with Ralph. Polian, Butler, Phillips, Donahoe, etc. Wilson's record indicates he cared more about having loyal/submissive staff members than hiring people who can develop winning teams and letting them do their job without his meddling. I can't accuse him of meddling now, but then the strategy is now static: maximize the team's sale value.