When do we get a new D-Coordinator

RyanC883

It should be a no-brainer for the Bills to get rid of Edwards after the two pitful seasons he has compiled here. And Gailey should NOT be involved in hiring the replacement as everyone could see this was a dud hire from the start. So two questions:

1) When will the Bills get a new DC (warning: the answer could be never or after next season given the Bills inability to make good personel moves)

2) Who do you all like as the replacement?

I'd say it depends on whether or not Wanny wants to be a Defensive Coordinator again. What was his real role here this year? Why does no blame land at his feet? I don't think Edwards should be back - I didn't like him from mid point last season on, but I still don't understand the Wanndstedt hire - you bring him in as what? What has he taken responsibility for? Why, when the defense was terrible all year, did he not replace Edwards earlier? How can a man with as much credentials as Wanny have be LOWER on the totem pole than Edwards, especially when the Bills were going down in flames all year? It just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't someone have said, Wanny, help us out here? What the blank is going on?

Nevertheless, I would give him a chance if he wanted it - but, I'd hope he would be bringing with him a big change. I'm sorry - it's hard for me to just drop this - wouldn't the players think it was pretty weird to have Wanny take over next year when he was on board all along this year? I don't know... I'd also like to see Nolan gone after. If the Bills want to keep a 3-4 and are looking for an experienced guy to run one, Nolan would be my man. He has experience in this division, he has an excellent reputation for turning teams around very quickly.

As an aside, maybe Wanny was given this year to put together a good 3-4 scheme? Maybe he was told he'd be given a year to have a system ready? Given a year to scout players and assistants?

Edited by sllib olaffub

I'd say it depends on whether or not Wanny wants to be a Defensive Coordinator again. What was his real role here this year? Why does no blame land at his feet? I don't think Edwards should be back - I didn't like him from mid point last season on, but I still don't understand the Wanndstedt hire - you bring him in as what? What has he taken responsibility for? Why, when the defense was terrible all year, did he not replace Edwards earlier? How can a man with as much credentials as Wanny have be LOWER on the totem pole than Edwards, especially when the Bills were going down in flames all year? It just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't someone have said, Wanny, help us out here? What the blank is going on?

Nevertheless, I would give him a chance if he wanted it - but, I'd hope he would be bringing with him a big change. I'm sorry - it's hard for me to just drop this - wouldn't the players think it was pretty weird to have Wanny take over next year when he was on board all along this year? I don't know... I'd also like to see Nolan gone after. If the Bills want to keep a 3-4 and are looking for an experienced guy to run one, Nolan would be my man. He has experience in this division, he has an excellent reputation for turning teams around very quickly.

As an aside, maybe Wanny was given this year to put together a good 3-4 scheme? Maybe he was told he'd be given a year to have a system ready? Given a year to scout players and assistants?

+1

Sleeper pick: Jack Del Rio? He can run a 4-3. Might be a possibility.

The problem is that it's highly likely that as a Head Coach who was fired before the expiration of his contract, that Del Rio is due the remainder of his salary because NFL Head Coaches get guaranteed contracts.

So basically for 2012 he has the option of sitting around collecting his money from Jacksonville or he can go back to work and Jacksonville would be liable to pay him the difference between what his contract calls for and what his new job pays him.

Del Rio is also a guy I could see moving into TV.

I like the idea of him as a DC but I don't think it'll happen in 2012.

I don't see any changes either, Gailey knew he hired a DC with no experience. Then hired wannastache as ast. HC and LB's coach to help George Edwards.If Gailey fires him its admitting he made a mistake.

I would be ok with keeping Gailey if he fired both OC & DC and hired some veteran NFL play-callers, with some previous recent experience and success at their jobs.

But then, this is the Buffalo Bills we are talking about, with a 90+ year old owner who states if he can get to the breakfast table in the morning its a good day.

Edited by Fear the Beard

It should be a no-brainer for the Bills to get rid of Edwards after the two pitful seasons he has compiled here. And Gailey should NOT be involved in hiring the replacement as everyone could see this was a dud hire from the start. So two questions:

1) When will the Bills get a new DC (warning: the answer could be never or after next season given the Bills inability to make good personel moves)

2) Who do you all like as the replacement?

Dude, I can't disagree that it should be a no-brainer, I'm afraid I don't think it's likely to happen unless Edwards has an "opportunity" to leave "voluntarily" for a position that will provide him with (pick one: better opportunity, a type of opportunity he prefers, an opportunity that will work better for his family situation).

It's a serious loss of face for a HC to fire his coordinators, ya see, and Edwards has the lack of talent/injuries card to play.

If it does happen, Gailey will be involved in hiring the replacement as the DC and OC must work smoothly with the HC.

Again, I'm not trying to say it shouldn't happen, just that it's not likely to happen because it's too great a "loss of face" for Gailey.