Get Matt Flynn

jkx2

Flynn did great today against a good Lions D. He almost beat the Pats last season. The dude is prototype across the board. Is he a sure bet? No. But is he easier to get than a rookie and would I take him over an prospect except Luck? Yes. The guy isn't going to get a huge offer and I'd be okay throwing a 3 year, 5 mil per at him.

3 year, 5 per? You're crazy. He'll get Cassel money, minimum.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How many backup QBs turned starters on new teams have really panned out?

I'm not sure that's really the correct question.

I think the more pertinent question is: if we drop very good young QB into Buffalo's offense, with the OL, WR, schemes, playcalling, and coaching we have finished the season with, would they

1) achieve a significantly improved W-L record with this team?

2) develop and reach their potential?

I think anyone who believes the answer to both questions is an unqualified "yes" doesn't know too much about football, but that's just my opinion.

How did the last backup QB from Green Bay turn out? He's out of football.

Please, we're not very deep talent wise - but I promise you once the infrastructure and the folks running the show become premier - every back up out of Buffalo is gonna look brilliant.

C

I agree. Try to get Flynn. I've said that they made their bed with Fitz, but they need a plan B. They need Flynn.

Rob Johnson came here after one good game in Jacksonville.......and you all know how well that turned out. One game doesn't mean ****.

Seriously. How is it that some people never learn?

Rob Johnson should set our QB position back the same way Mike Williams set back our Oline? Love the logic of that. As for the OG question of bringing Flynn in here, I would be in favor, it he fit whatever plan for the system. I hate to say it because I think Fitz is fairly decent, Fitz should have some competition at this point.

3 pages in and the biggest insights to flynns talent are that rob Johnson and Matt cassell were both backups that became starters elsewhere?

I think Kevin Kolb was mentioned.

As an oldster, I have to invoke the name Scott Mitchell.

I don't profess to know how good Flynn is but I wouldn't dismiss his talent out of hand. He's put up huge numbers when he's played.

I would want to watch all of his snaps carefully.

I know he played well against New England last year.

From a logic standpoint the people who explain away Flynn's numbers are also unwittingly cheapening Aaron Rodgers' greatness.

Flynn is an interesting prospect but he reminds me of Fitz; 6'2" 225, 7th round, average arm, they even look a like.

Bottom line: Flynn came into the NFL as a seventh-round pick in the 2008 draft... He is a fundamentally-sound player who has a quick release. Flynn shows poise, patience and good decision-making that NFL teams look for, and combined with his intermediate accuracy, he has many of the tools to be a productive starting QB in the NFL... He’ll be most effective in offenses that emphasize a short passing attack. Teams must be willing to work around his lack of top arm strength. Because he is a young quarterback, he is not likely to go to a team that just selected one in the draft. We believe he would be a good fit in Arizona, Buffalo, Seattle or Miami.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-05-19/matt-flynn-has-starters-talent-minus-rocket-arm#ixzz1iGwGyJvY

3 pages in and the biggest insights to flynns talent are that rob Johnson and Matt cassell were both backups that became starters elsewhere?

No one can give you any real insight because he has a SB-winning team around him and what he does with his own team is anyone's guess.

Ugh. See Rob Johnson and Scott Mitchell. One game.

Don't forget Trent Edwards, JP Losman and everyone else that had one game of brilliance and then flamed like a match top!

BTW, is Rob Johnson still a dirty word in our area? I hear it and it still provokes some violence in me.

No one can give you any real insight because he has a SB-winning team around him and what he does with his own team is anyone's guess.

Ah- so you can't tell if his throws are on target, with good zip, well timed with strong mechanics, or if he ms ever flustered under pressure unless he turns around a bad team? My real guess is few have seen his play beyond a stat line that looks nice.

I remember the end of the pats game being not so great.... But I don't remember why. Wasn't there some clock management issue? Was it him? I vaguely remember the coach catching flack but I missed a good chunk of that game too and wasn't too seriously watching with an eye to the longterm.

Edited by NoSaint

This is a giant crapshoot. Flynn could be the next Young, Schaub, or Favre. Or he could be the next Rob Johnson, Matt Cassell, or Kevin Kolb.

It's a huge decision for an organization to make to bid for or pass on Flynn. The question is, do you trust Wilson/Nix to make the right decision here? Will these guys even consider the move and evaluate it properly?

I say they don't even give it two thoughts. They won't even consider making a move for RG3. They'll stick with their draft position, watch their free agents leave, and then try to plug the multiple holes in the lineup with draft picks, UDFAs, and bargain FAs.