Did the Defense make a statement?

TPS

Btw, Kelsey stood up for Edwards in the paper, and his stats make it look like he had a great game, so that's one of the reasons that makes me raise the ??

Hmmmm, got to wonder how much job security Kelsay is feeling moving forward, with maybe a new DC?

Spiller is the real deal. Jackson is the real deal. Together with McIntyre next year, Fitz will look much better.

Cj is showing he's got game. For sure.

The downside risk to this victory would be for someone to take the game in isolation and assume George Edwards was doing a great job.

Exactly...

This was (I think) the 7th Game that the Tebow led Broncos scored under 20 points...This game reminds me a bit of the Redskins Game...Great effort by the Bills D...But you have to take into consideration who they were facing...No need to get carried away... B-)

what i noticed/suspected during the game - and was subsequently confirmed by a few of the players in post game comments - was that the defense was playing sand lot football. they were lining up in man and playing a read and react scheme. which is to say there was no "scheme" per se, you just get on the field and stop the offense.

why it was successful is that denver's option running game is also read and react. i wont argue that the bills' DBs are elite by any means, but denver's receivers aren't all that good, and when you couple that with tebow's arm, well, you see the results.

on almost every single play the bills were in a man cover one with one safety deep. it was the perfect recipe to shut them down. an mlb - usually sheppard - was basically playing qb spy.

i'm surprised that denver's staff couldnt see this and just start throwing swing passes to the flat. i mean, even my drunk ass had it pegged from the rockpile.

as far as a statement game for edwards: he's either to be commended for basically getting out of the players way and letting them play (i think the players were actually free to call the plays and make their choice of pre play adjustments), or he's been exposed bc the d played their best with minimal instructions.

I do think Edwards gets too much blame but I don't see bringing him back. At some point, even if your talent is limited, you have to scheme to generate a pass rush. I never saw enough of that from Edwards.

And Denver's offense is like a high school team. Stop the run and force the QB to throw the ball.

The difference being, when we tried that against Campbell, Moore (1st Mia game) and Romo they killed us 'cuz they had enough time to get a manicure in the backfield

Fortunately, Tebow can't throw, and possibly would consider a manicure a sinful vanity

Edited by Hopeful

I was a little disappointed to see Bills defense play so well yesterday. Why? Because I think this win might give Chsn an excuse NOT to fire George Edwards. While they had a good game against a powerful running attack we cant discredit how lousy the defense has been all year long in games they HAD to win. I am hoping that improved Play has to do with Wannstedt taking a bigger part in the defensive Playcalling.

Also speaking of Playcalling.... Wow... Chan stinks. We could definitely use a real OC. Chan makes Fitz look even worse

Also don't forget that our "good" performance came against an offense with a QB who's not a great passer and s

Two wide receivers who don't exactly set the world on fire

Tebow's the left handed Rob Johnson

Aside from the fact that they both suck(ed), these two players couldn't be any different. One is as tough as a fullback and the other one was as tough as Trent Edwards on ecstasy*

*except for the Tennesse playoff game. He played tough that game.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Analysis: Bailey took Stevie to the woodshed. Spiller shredded their rushing defense with a handful of BIG bursts. Said bursts were the difference in field position most of the game. Our defense was in full on retreat on Denver's first possession of the game--which netted them a touchdown. After that, the Denver offense was as lousy as its been all year. With Stevie neutralized, Fitz struggled. A couple of big plays got us down close, but we walked away with way too many FG's in those situations--credit belongs mostly to Denver's tough D though. Once Denver got 2-3 scores behind in the second half they had to resort to passing and that's when it got FUGLY for Tebow and gang. Never underestimate the importance of a punt return TD, though, and it may have actually been THE turning point in the game.

Stevie got neutralized and taken to the woodshed?

His being Buffalo's leading WR with 4 catches for 92 yards beg to differ.

Edited by Ramius

A little support for this view in this article:

My link

What caught my interest though is another comment, about something I've been wondering--the defense simplified things and only ran a few different sets.

Given the switching between 3-4/4-3, I've been wondering if the complexity has taken a toll? I was thinking the defense probably needs to do exactly that, simplify, and allow them to play without thinking so much. A little late now though...

Yeah, and Trent Dilfer "looked" better when he had the best defense of all time and a running game.

No he didn't. Look at Dilfer's stats from that season.

And if anything, the defense's performance was an indictment of Edwards, a la a "see, they can play well." It was too late. He better be gone over the off-season.

I myself believe EDWARDS IS GONE after the season but the guy ID like gone now is the d-line coach ..giff smith was recently quoted as saying ""defensive ends should'nt be exspected to get more than 3-4 sacks per yer!" say what ? he apparently has'nt heard of b.smith.. or j. tuck or m. gastineau , h.long.etc... that not the mentality I'd want coaching my players if i'm head coach.. your opinions??

I myself believe EDWARDS IS GONE after the season but the guy ID like gone now is the d-line coach ..giff smith was recently quoted as saying ""defensive ends should'nt be exspected to get more than 3-4 sacks per yer!" say what ? he apparently has'nt heard of b.smith.. or j. tuck or m. gastineau , h.long.etc... that not the mentality I'd want coaching my players if i'm head coach.. your opinions??

I assume he's referring to 3-4 DE's. The others, outside of Bruce (who was a once-in-a-generation type of player) were 4-3 DE's.

Stevie got neutralized and taken to the woodshed?

His being Buffalo's leading WR with 4 catches for 92 yards beg to differ.

Yes, because stats taken in a vacuum always tell the tale.

Like how 55 of those (catch and run) came on one play, the longest play of his career to date.

I didn't see the game, but it seems the defense had a statement game. Any relation to the article in support of Edwards, or just random?

It is almost always a mistake to reach any conclusions after any one particular game. If you take the season as a whole you can safely conclude that the Bills defense needs a lot of work.

Edwards and his staff (I'm including Wannstedt in this) have done a poor job this year, IMO.

Bottom line, I'm in that group who believes that the play has underperformed the talent.

On a different subject from a technical standpoint, did anyone else seem to think that the Bills D was playing a "Wide NIne" alignment more often against Denver than in previous games?

I thought they did and I thought it was the reason why the pass rush was more effective.

Returning to the original subject, it seems like Aaron Maybin would have been very effective in a Wide Nine.

I haven't watched the game a second time yet so I could be wrong… just my impression.

Exactly...

This was (I think) the 7th Game that the Tebow led Broncos scored under 20 points...This game reminds me a bit of the Redskins Game...Great effort by the Bills D...But you have to take into consideration who they were facing...No need to get carried away... B-)

yes, let's see what everyone is saying after the Patriots game next week