Who is Ralph Wilson Jr?

BillsfaninFl

Wilson took over the successful insurance business of his father and invested in Michigan area mines and factories. He eventually purchased several manufacturing outlets, construction firms, and radio stations, and founded Ralph Wilson Industries. His passion is in being a horse breeder and owner with facilities in France and the U.S.

A minority owner of the Detroit Lions, Wilson got wind of Lamar Hunt's plans for a new league, the American Football League, to challenge the NFL. He tried to put together a team in Miami, but was turned down. So he put a team in Buffalo.

The Bills never were a high priority for Ralph and are a small piece of his financial portfolio even today. Anyone who thinks he dwells on winning a Super Bowl, the future of the Bills, or appreciating the Bills fans is delusional. I confess to being delusional many times about the Bills, but no longer. I still feel a connection to the Buffalo Bills football team because of my Buffalo roots (and my fondness for the people of western New York, but not the ownership or organizational staff of the Bills.

Wilson is simply a business man who made lots of money bringing mediocre entertainment to Buffalo as a sidebar to his main business ventures.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson took over the successful insurance business of his father and invested in Michigan area mines and factories. He eventually purchased several manufacturing outlets, construction firms, and radio stations, and founded Ralph Wilson Industries. His passion is in being a horse breeder and owner with facilities in France and the U.S.

A minority owner of the Detroit Lions, Wilson got wind of Lamar Hunt's plans for a new league, the American Football League, to challenge the NFL. He tried to put together a team in Miami, but was turned down. So he put a team in Buffalo.

The Bills never were a high priority for Ralph and are a small piece of his financial portfolio even today. Anyone who thinks he dwells on winning a Super Bowl, the future of the Bills, or appreciating the Bills fans is delusional. I confess to being delusional many times about the Bills, but no longer. I still feel a connection to the Buffalo Bills football team because of my Buffalo roots (and my fondness for the people of western New York, but not the ownership or organizational staff of the Bills.

Wilson is simply a business man who made lots of money bringing mediocre entertainment to Buffalo as a sidebar to his main business ventures.

This part is simply not true. The Bills make up the vast part of Ralph's net worth. They are worth close to a Billion and he is not listed as a Billionaire so the remainder of his fortune is clearly not that big.

Edited by Maddog69

I like the part where you did an irresponsibly cursory look at Wilson's life and then pretended to know what the man does/doesn't care about.

Are you under the impression that most NFL owners are ravenous football fans who just happen upon a billion dollars?

Of course they are, all of the owners in the NFL care only about 1 thing, and one thing only, Winning football games. making a profit is an afterthought/secondary thing :rolleyes: Only Ralph Wilson cares about being fiscally responsible and about money first

??? was there a purpose behind this impromptu history lesson?

Of course there was.

RALPH WILSON IS A HORRIBLE PERSON THAT DOESN'T CARE ABOUT FOOTBAL/WINNING AND IS JUST TRYING TO GET EVEN RICHER OFF OF THE POOR BUFFALO BILLS FANS. (and I am assuming the point was also that we will all be much happier when he is dead and the many Local Billionaires will all step forward and buy the team which they will throw their money around to buy championship after championship!)

No.....Ralph Wilson doenst care....just one of the greedy one percent.

And he purposely drags his 90 year old ass a few weeks after major hip surgery, not to watch the team, but just do laugh at all the common folk in the stands.

I bet thats why he keeps the team, just for his own amusement, to laugh at the miserable Bills fans that he seals money from every game! What an evil genius he is!

Ralph is cheap. I completely agree with you that he runs the team as a low risk, low reward profit only organization. Sadly though, when he goes, so does the team.

I bet thats why he keeps the team, just for his own amusement, to laugh at the miserable Bills fans that he seals money from every game! What an evil genius he is!

he has convincingly proven himself to be one of the least successful (in terms of winning) major sports owners over a 50 year period while having an amazing roi. and yes, he acheived this by exploiting bills fans everywhere but especially the citizens of erie county. it's difficult for the exploited to admit it, but it's the truth. i don't know if he's evil but i'm certain he's contemptable.

he has convincingly proven himself to be one of the least successful (in terms of winning) major sports owners over a 50 year period while having an amazing roi. and yes, he acheived this by exploiting bills fans everywhere but especially the citizens of erie county. it's difficult for the exploited to admit it, but it's the truth. i don't know if he's evil but i'm certain he's contemptable.

...apparently keeping a franchise for 50 years gets you in the Hall of Fame these days. God knows being successful didn't do it for him...!!!

Thanks for citing Ralph's Wikipedia page!

Does the media know about this? Don't tell me you've been keeping this dirty little secret to yourself all these years? You owe it to the American people to go public with this truly explosive, nay incendiary, bit of common knowledge. The truth must be known!

The purpose of being in business is to make as big a profit as possible. That's the game Ralph Wilson is in. He's winning in blow out fashion right now. Frankly, I don't blame him one bit. At least someone is getting something positive out of the Bills.

Also, the bigger the profit the Bills show the more viable they are in Buffalo. A potential owner would add close to a billion dollars in future expenses if he/she decided to buy

This part is simply not true. The Bills make up the vast part of Ralph's net worth. They are worth close to a Billion and he is not listed as a Billionaire so the remainder of his fortune is clearly not that big.

Guess again. If the Bills sell for a billion, which I doubt, the Wilson family does not walk away with anything close to that figure. Regarding the list of billionaires, it is based on public records and is often distorted toward lesser figures. There are a lot more billionaires in the U.S. than is publicly known.

My point was that Wilson is an absentee owner who does not consider the Bills his passion (see horses) and doesn't care about the folks in western New York. Do you disagree?