2011 Draft could we have a do over

When the Panthers drafted Newton I was thrilled to death thought no way he will make it in NFL and glad he didnt drop to us to pick him figured he'd be a bust. After the last 7 weeks I now wish he had dropped to us. Dareus is good but not able to be the impact Cam has been for Panthers The accuracy of Fitz is a major issue and undeserving the contract extension.

When the Panthers drafted Newton I was thrilled to death thought no way he will make it in NFL and glad he didnt drop to us to pick him figured he'd be a bust. After the last 7 weeks I now wish he had dropped to us. Dareus is good but not able to be the impact Cam has been for Panthers The accuracy of Fitz is a major issue and undeserving the contract extension.

What is the point of this post? We had no shot at Newton. It's irrelevant.

The QB position has the greatest potential to impact a franchise.

The Bills haven't drafted one with their first pick in any draft since 1960.

Scott hates that point because it discounts trades or QB's taken later in the first round than the teams ACTUAL first pick

But in comparison, in the last 40 years(by Edwards arm count), half of their first picks have either been RB's or CB's.

How can you expect to have a consistently good franchise when you have consistently poor QB play.....................yet aren't willing to draft QB's with your premier pick......ever?

Scott hates that point because it discounts trades or QB's taken later in the first round than the teams ACTUAL first pick

But in comparison, in the last 40 years(by Edwards arm count), half of their first picks have either been RB's or CB's.

How can you expect to have a consistently good franchise when you have consistently poor QB play.....................yet aren't willing to draft QB's with your premier pick......ever?

The Bills used their 1st round pick in 1983 to draft a guy by the name of Jim Kelly.

The also used their 1st round pick in 2004 to draft JP Losman and traded 1st round picks to the Jags and Patriots to acquire Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe

The Bills used their 1st round pick in 1983 to draft a guy by the name of Jim Kelly.

The also used their 1st round pick in 2004 to draft JP Losman and traded 1st round picks to the Jags and Patriots to acquire Rob Johnson and Drew Bledsoe

Also, DD is a longtime season ticket holder and he knows Bills history.

The Bills first pick in 1983 was "a guy by the name of" Tony Hunter. TE Notre Dame. Kelly was a first round pick, but not their first. They had to make sure they got that TE first, even if it meant someone else picking Kelly.

The Kelly pick was acquired in the Tom Cousineau trade with Cleveland.

Lee Evans was the first pick in the Losman draft. They traded the next years top pick plus that years second pick to move up and get Losman.

If there is someone out there who thinks that the Bills are going to acquire their franchise changing QB in a trade then good luck with that.

Your only realistic chance is to draft him yourself.

Of course, it's OK to be all-in on RB's and DB's.........but the most important position in the game.........no, they gotta hedge on that one.

I hate it because it is a distinction without a difference. I don't think you need to spin the data, it is damning enough without trying to manufacture what their intentions were.

Who was Detroits QB in 1983? Maybe the Bills were confident Kelly would be there?

I also think in 2004 we would have drafted a QB other than Losman if he fell to us. Agree?

DD: Ralph and his minions need to realize with a rookie salary cap they wont have to spend Ralphs precious $ if they drafted a QB with top 10 pick. I would have hated on draft day if newton fell to us but now wish that Panthers had thought they had their franchise QB and drafted someone else and cam had fallen to us. Dareus MAY turn out to be a beast ( not seeing that yeah injuries have slowed him down ) but Newton is proving he has the arm and the touch. What I see in Fitz yesterday with underthorw, overthrows etc just show he just doesnt have it. I like the guy and always have but an arm is needed more than grit. Yes we have a subpar receiving corp but a better QB would make them look better.

Grow up and accept reality.

Fitzpatrick is the QB and he's a good quarterback- focus on other things. On offense Lack of a wide out even when everyone is healthy. Never mind we are playing guys off the street and somehow think that shouldn't matter. Now on defense our front seven when Williams gets back we go Williams-Derius-Barnett-Sheppard and no one else. Williams looks like he's going to be a good corner, Rogers also looks good. Searcy has to take over for George Wilson, along with Byrd. Now find a pass rusher or two and sign some depth.

Dareus MAY turn out to be a beast ( not seeing that yeah injuries have slowed him down )

what more would you like to see? He has 5.5 sacks at one of the hardest positions to transition into the league at. I think he has played well especially given the circumstances around him. Getting cam would have been great but I guess so would getting elway, rothlesburger, or any number of qbs we had no shot of bc they were taken before we drafted!

How can we redo a draft and take a guy who wasn't available.

Because obviously they didn't work hard enough to persuade a team dead-set on drafting Cam Newton to surrender that pick. Ideally they would have done this by mortgaging the future completely and trading as many draft picks as it would have taken. If not, there was always the backup plan of getting Carolina to accept Kelsay, Maybin, Donald Jones and Chad Rhinehart packaged with the #3. That should have gotten it done.

Nix failed us here.

The Bills first pick in 1983 was "a guy by the name of" Tony Hunter. TE Notre Dame. Kelly was a first round pick, but not their first. They had to make sure they got that TE first, even if it meant someone else picking Kelly.

The Kelly pick was acquired in the Tom Cousineau trade with Cleveland.

Lee Evans was the first pick in the Losman draft. They traded the next years top pick plus that years second pick to move up and get Losman.

If there is someone out there who thinks that the Bills are going to acquire their franchise changing QB in a trade then good luck with that.

Your only realistic chance is to draft him yourself.

Of course, it's OK to be all-in on RB's and DB's.........but the most important position in the game.........no, they gotta hedge on that one.

Got it. So we should have drafted Losman with the #13 pick in 2004 and then he would have been a franchhise QB. :wallbash:

And kelly probably would have won all 4 super bowls if he was drafted with our first pick in 1983.

Got it. So we should have drafted Losman with the #13 pick in 2004 and then he would have been a franchhise QB. :wallbash:

And kelly probably would have won all 4 super bowls if he was drafted with our first pick in 1983.

Would it have made a difference for the franchise if the Bills had taken Losman at #13 and passed on Lee Evans?

Nope. Lee Evans had some decent years, but in the end he was just another WR.

When it comes to impact, there are QB's and then there is every other position. They could have picked a QB with their first pick every year of the past decade and they wouldn't be any worse off than they are now........ having continually reached for perceived "needs'.

If they felt Losman was franchise QB material he was surely worth selecting over a small wide receiver. No, they thought he was worth selecting with next years pick. They didn't want to deprive themselves of the instant gratification of getting a shiny new perimeter player.

Edited by Dick Drawn