Fitzpatrick's Contract

Yeah F$tzmoney made out like a bandit. However you guys all keep saying he is regressing. If you look at his history he has returned to normal. The Bengals and Rams would have kept him if he was any good. He can't throw down the field accurately. His accuracy is -10 to 3 yards. That's is about it. The Bills wont dump him this offseason. He will start next season. Damn I hated the signing for so much. He should be making around 4-6 million, not 9. Damn Harvard smartys.

Fitz has returned to being an erratic and weak armed QB who will occasionally have a very good game. Unfortunately, the man hired to build this team was either fooled or forced to re-sign him to a contract. I expect better from a GM that many on this board called "a top five talent evaluator." That being the case, he's fired and missed on four guys since he becoming GM: Cornell Green, Shawne Merriman, Drayton "Toast" Florence, and Fitzpatrick. I doubt Pears will live up to his modest contract either.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt it. I'm sure no one feels worse than Fitz. He knows what the Bills mean to people and he probably feels like he's letting everyone down.

PTR

Agreed. Say what you want about him but the guy really identifies with the fans and feels a part of the community and you can tell the guy is hurting. One refreshing thing in his interviews is at least he calls out himself. With Trent and Losman it was always "we" threw the interception. He has had two bad games in a row. His accuracy is concerning but he is our QB for the next year or two. One encouraging thing is that he did not quit and put up three scores with Ruval Martng and Hagan as his number one and two receivers. Despite his poor play lately he is the best QB we have had since 2002 when Bledsoe threw for over 4300 yards.

By the way Baltimore is playing tonight the Bills gave the Chargers a much better game for those looking for the brighter side of things.

A few weeks back I heard something about Fitz' contract ... that after the first year (this year) the Bills had the option to let him go and be off the hook for the remainder of his contract. Is this real? Does anyone know?

I hope it is true and I hope he is let go. I love the guy, and I recall when he filled in for Carson Palmer several years back ... did an aewsome job and I was happy we got him as backup. But the last several weeks say it all ...regression and losing. Clearly NOT the answer.

Even average teams don't lose 7 games in a row.

Bills must have the worst luck of any organization ... over committing to Dick Jauron during a winning streak and then the same with Fitzy. What a friggin bummer.

eat it, cut him and move on

Have we learned nothing as Bills fans yet?

Let's see - no sooner have we gotten rid of the last schlub we get all excited when the current guy shows some measure of promise and goes on a short hot streak. We start convincing ourselves that he has the talent to be the quarterback to take us to the next levels. He's not average or below average - he's an above average guy who is only going to get better as he gets healthier and more experienced players around him (next year). We spend the next 2-3 seasons realizing this guy really ISN'T any better than the below average QB the rest of the league thought he was until it's undeniable to everyone - even the biggest Buffalo homres. Then and only then do we sever ties with said QB and move onto the next guy we got via late round draft pick/undrafted free agent/QB everyone else already gave up on. Our previous guy, if lucky, will find a roster spot as a 2nd or 3rd stringer on another team (which he where he was destined to play) and our new guy has now won 3 games in a row so we're back to being all giddy about how our QB problems are solved.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

Fitz is the QB of the Bills for the next few years folks. Get used to it.

The next few years? Don't know about that. There is an out after the 3rd year that looks like almost a certainty. But next year - yeah I would have to agree. His contract really is not that big of a deal, if say, RGB3 is on the board we can grab him and keep both under contract (thanks to the new union agreement regarding rookie contracts).

I believe (as usual, sorry) that there are a few things weighing on Fitz.

Firstly his Head Coach is overemphasizing the passing game when he should be doing just the opposite. As a result, there's too much burden on Fitz who takes big shots every week and is very beaten up, IMO… no different from the end of last season.

Secondly, I believe that the new contract is also a mounting burden. I'm sure the fact that the team hasn't won since he signed his deal is weighing on him psychologically.

Fitz is a case study of an organization setting a player up to fail, IMO.

You make some really nice points, and not just the above quote.

I agree insofar as we can say the Bills have played the offense about as opposite as they should have, all things considered, since Fitz signed his contract. With the injuries and his struggles, and our defense being as bad as it is - we should be running to set up the pass, because, at the very least, running is the only thing we're doing well! I thought Gailey had a reputation as a run-first coordinator. I imagine if we ran something like the Jets type offense, Fitz would be adequate.

However - that is all Fitz is ever going to be. I don't know who got carried away with that contract - but, I believe someone was there arguing it, with the clause in it to drop the contract, it is obvious it was not a full fledged commitment. Where we are at, Fitz is perfect for being a mentor, a QB to give a young Franchise QB the leadership and the on-field coaching, and maybe start half a season to let the young guy come in slowly, but, he is now too expensive for that! What are we paying the coaches to do? Thigpen is also versed in Gailey's schemes. I think we've got to draft our future QB this coming draft. I mean, there hasn't been a better draft for QB's since the Rivers draft, and this might end up being the best QB draft in 20 years. We do what we have to to get one of the top 3 QB's, and that will give everyone hope.

I can't watch the Bills next year, or think about them, if they try to go into the season with Fitz as the only viable QB. I mean, every NFL roster should have starters, and it should have guys behind the starters that have potential to be just as good - younger, but physically exciting - small school, lower round talents, at least, so that if someone gets hurt you hope the replacement might be as good or better. You don't have mediocre talent starting with practice squad talent as back-ups, especially at the QB position!

You make some really nice points, and not just the above quote.

I agree insofar as we can say the Bills have played the offense about as opposite as they should have, all things considered, since Fitz signed his contract. With the injuries and his struggles, and our defense being as bad as it is - we should be running to set up the pass, because, at the very least, running is the only thing we're doing well! I thought Gailey had a reputation as a run-first coordinator. I imagine if we ran something like the Jets type offense, Fitz would be adequate.

However - that is all Fitz is ever going to be. I don't know who got carried away with that contract - but, I believe someone was there arguing it, with the clause in it to drop the contract, it is obvious it was not a full fledged commitment. Where we are at, Fitz is perfect for being a mentor, a QB to give a young Franchise QB the leadership and the on-field coaching, and maybe start half a season to let the young guy come in slowly, but, he is now too expensive for that! What are we paying the coaches to do? Thigpen is also versed in Gailey's schemes. I think we've got to draft our future QB this coming draft. I mean, there hasn't been a better draft for QB's since the Rivers draft, and this might end up being the best QB draft in 20 years. We do what we have to to get one of the top 3 QB's, and that will give everyone hope.

I can't watch the Bills next year, or think about them, if they try to go into the season with Fitz as the only viable QB. I mean, every NFL roster should have starters, and it should have guys behind the starters that have potential to be just as good - younger, but physically exciting - small school, lower round talents, at least, so that if someone gets hurt you hope the replacement might be as good or better. You don't have mediocre talent starting with practice squad talent as back-ups, especially at the QB position!

That's not true. Only $24m is guaranteed over the next three seasons and with the new rookie wage caps in place, the Bills could easily carry both Fitz and their franchise QB of the future if they choose to draft him. Fitz's contract is very team friendly.

GO BILLS!!!

new onwer=Gailey and Nix and the whole front office go bye-bye

Half the people in the front office are Ralph's family/close associates, so they were all be shown the door in any sale

Nobody is going to pay 750 million for a team and keep Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey around, not with their lack of solid reputation AND 2 years of putrid results

There are tickets to sell... obviously the fans aren't as into their "Fitzmagic" as you would think given the message boards a few weeks ago.... unless they all wore empty seat costumes to the games

Edited by TheFunPolice

I doubt it. I'm sure no one feels worse than Fitz. He knows what the Bills mean to people and he probably feels like he's letting everyone down.

PTR

I hope Gailey feels the same way, because he is not playing this team to its strengths.....You have a beat up OL and a beat up QB (in terms of confidence) and yet you throw the ball 40 times...Of course having the most horrible defense that cannot help this team makes it harder...Defense Wins championship. Unless we fix the Defensive coaching staff, the system and the players, this team is not going anywhere.

Right now the fault is on Chan Gailey's shoulder for allowing this 7 game losing streak.

If we can land one of the big 3, I'd cut him and not look back. If we don't draft a qb in the 1st, keep him and see what else is out there. I'm over this guy. He is inaccurate as they come throwing the ball over 15 yards. I could care less about his completion percentage, it doesn't mean jack when you only throw 3 yard slants. Love him for his attitude and mentality all you want, physically he is limited. Yet, if we can't acquire a qb better than he, there's no point in cutting him.

Hate to say I told you so.....but no long after the Bills' "brain trust" gave Fitz WAY more money than any sane NFL organization would have, I said in this forum that he was "average, at best."

I guess I just don't have the rose-colored glasses AND blinders on, like so many folks around here do. lol

Good thing your not a jerk who would say "I told you so" in the middle of a 7-going-on-9 game losing streak. That would be in poor taste AND bad timing. lol

1324270145[/url]' post='2339843']

I hope Gailey feels the same way, because he is not playing this team to its strengths.....You have a beat up OL and a beat up QB (in terms of confidence) and yet you throw the ball 40 times...Of course having the most horrible defense that cannot help this team makes it harder...Defense Wins championship. Unless we fix the Defensive coaching staff, the system and the players, this team is not going anywhere.

Right now the fault is on Chan Gailey's shoulder for allowing this 7 game losing streak.

I'm tired of "defense wins championships". great teams win championships. Offense + defense wins championships. Great QBs win championships. Like another poster said earlier in the week, something like 73% of the SBs were won by HoF or future HoF qbs. There are many ways to win a championships....not just with defense.

The Bills may be regretting the decision to give quarterback Ryan Fitzpatick a six-year, $59 million deal.

If they are, they can walk away from nearly $49 million of it after the season.

Per a league source, the Bills could trade or cut Fitzpatrick before the seventh day of the 2012 league year and owe him nothing further than the $3.22 million base salary he was already due to earn in 2011 and the $10 million signing bonus he was paid upon inking the new deal last month.

On the seventh day of the 2012 league year, the Bills owe Fitzpatrick a $5 million option bonus. If they don’t exercise the option, Fitzpatrick’s base salary for 2012 would increase from $2.8 million to $7.8 million, and it would be fully guaranteed for injury only.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/11/21/bills-could-avoid-most-of-fitzpatricks-new-deal/

The Bills may be regretting the decision to give quarterback Ryan Fitzpatick a six-year, $59 million deal.

If they are, they can walk away from nearly $49 million of it after the season.

Per a league source, the Bills could trade or cut Fitzpatrick before the seventh day of the 2012 league year and owe him nothing further than the $3.22 million base salary he was already due to earn in 2011 and the $10 million signing bonus he was paid upon inking the new deal last month.

On the seventh day of the 2012 league year, the Bills owe Fitzpatrick a $5 million option bonus. If they don’t exercise the option, Fitzpatrick’s base salary for 2012 would increase from $2.8 million to $7.8 million, and it would be fully guaranteed for injury only.

Sweet deal for Fitz. He could retire with a $13.22M golden parachute.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I believe (as usual, sorry) that there are a few things weighing on Fitz.

Firstly his Head Coach is overemphasizing the passing game when he should be doing just the opposite. As a result, there's too much burden on Fitz who takes big shots every week and is very beaten up, IMO… no different from the end of last season.

Secondly, I believe that the new contract is also a mounting burden. I'm sure the fact that the team hasn't won since he signed his deal is weighing on him psychologically.

Fitz is a case study of an organization setting a player up to fail, IMO.

The things that you list as burdens can also be called challenges. I prefer to call them opportunities myself. Genuine competitors, whether they are successful or not, embrace such things. Having the support, trust, and financial commitment of an nfl franchise is being set up to fail? Aaron Rogers was set up to fail too I guess by that logic. Come to think of it, all of these franchise QBs are being set up to fail. 12 franchise QBs will be entering the playoffs. 1 will be remembered as a champion. The rest, apparently set up for failure.

The next few years? Don't know about that. There is an out after the 3rd year that looks like almost a certainty. But next year - yeah I would have to agree. His contract really is not that big of a deal, if say, RGB3 is on the board we can grab him and keep both under contract (thanks to the new union agreement regarding rookie contracts).

They need to lose out and take either RGIII or Matt Barkley. I bet Barkley won't sign with the Bills. Write it down. From USC to WNY .. too big a transition. RGIII probably mature enough to do it

Fit'z play has nothing to do with injuries. He's made horrible mistakes and his lazy a** mechanics are the reason he sucks lately. He doesn't sell his play fakes, he throws off his back foot when he doesn't need to, he routinely tries to squeeze the ball into double coverage, he can't throw the ball down field and he is very inaccurate. And that is why he sucks.

Offer him a restructured contract and if he doesn't except then sign a vet and draft a rookie early. Simple as that.

Edited by John Cocktosten

The things that you list as burdens can also be called challenges. I prefer to call them opportunities myself. Genuine competitors, whether they are successful or not, embrace such things. Having the support, trust, and financial commitment of an nfl franchise is being set up to fail? Aaron Rogers was set up to fail too I guess by that logic. Come to think of it, all of these franchise QBs are being set up to fail. 12 franchise QBs will be entering the playoffs. 1 will be remembered as a champion. The rest, apparently set up for failure.

And the part about being in a pass-happy offense when the team has a beaten up quarterback, injuries at wide receiver, offensive line, and has a sieve-like defense?