Jim Kelly on The Jim Rome show today

Kelly said that, like most other Bills fans, he was excited about their good start this year and he hadn't seen the city that excited about football in a while.

He then went on to say that one of the things that has cost Buffalo a lot of games is their injuries and how they have skill players but aren't very deep and how they've lost a lot of their best players, Wood being the leader of the offense, and kyle williams on defense, and Fred Jackson our best player.

Rome asked him about Fitzpatrick and how he's suddenly regressed in his game, Kelly say that he hopes Fitz is just in a slump and that its a mix between pressure from the contract and how people are looking to him to be a leader, and he also used the injury excuse again.

Then they talk about Stevie Johnson, his contract talks with the Bills, then a little about the endzone celebration. Kelly said that if you did that kind of stunt back in the day, he (Marv) would've been the first to greet you on the sidelines.

He talked about how the Bickering Bills came together as a team and stopped playing as individuals. He noted that they were successful because everyone in that locker room wanted to win.

That pretty much sums it up.

Edited by Bills!Win!

Oh and they talked about Tebow of course. Kelly said that although he likes Tebow, he still needs to work on his throwing, accuracy, reading the defense etc... He's not sure if Tebow is going to be a star in this league but he says he'll keep watching Tebow as long as he's playing because its a "good story" in the NFL that's exciting to follow.

"Act like you've been there."

One of my favorite ML quotes. I can see a day when the showboating antics are considered passe and players start handing the ball to the ref. Or better yet, they place the ball at the two to facilitate the center snap on the PAT.

GO BILLS!!!

Kelly was super-high on Tebow when he came out of Florida.

Also I don't know if I buy the whole "injuries" excuse. Fred Jackson and Wood definitely hurt the offense but it seemed like the defense would be just as bad with Kyle Williams in there. By the way, everyone knew this team had no depth. Isn't in the front office's job to find players that can serve as depth? Another fail over at OBD

he was coming on just as my lunch break ended.

any talk of ralph's succession plan?

Kelly was super-high on Tebow when he came out of Florida.

Also I don't know if I buy the whole "injuries" excuse. Fred Jackson and Wood definitely hurt the offense but it seemed like the defense would be just as bad with Kyle Williams in there. By the way, everyone knew this team had no depth. Isn't in the front office's job to find players that can serve as depth? Another fail over at OBD

Do you think the defense might have looked better with Kyle Williams, Shawn Merriman, Aaron Williams, Torell Troup, & Terrence McGee?

Do you think the defense might have looked better with Kyle Williams, Shawn Merriman, Aaron Williams, Torell Troup, & Terrence McGee?

Kyle Williams? Absolutely.

Merriman--completely debateable.

Aaron Williams?--a rookie backup who started for an injured player until he himself was injured. Hard to tell his impact.

Troup??? come on. another backup. often injured.

McGee--one of my favorite Bills his whole career, but he's lost a step and is now injury prone.

As for the comments regarding Marv and expectations of on field behavior--they are spot on. There is none of that with Chan.

haha. i remember one time Reed backed into the endzone. Kelly is right. The first guy to greet him was a very angry Marv.

Perahps Marv should have concentrated more keeping his players away from all the BS that goes on during Super Bowl week.

1) No. We had those players at the beginning of the year, and w/ the exception of the KC game, they stunk.

2) Lack of depth is NOT AN EXCUSE. I'm so tired of it. We are not the only FB team to have injuries. The Steelers will prob be playing w/o their Pro Bowl QB at San Fran. Guess what, they have an actual backup in Batch because they spend money. Mendenhall gets hurt, Ike Redman comes in. WR Saunders is hurt, Antonio Brown steps up. Jason Worlds steps up when Harrison gets suspended. The difference: The Steelers, whose owners want to win, spend to the Cap. The Bills, whose owners only want $$$$$$$, stay EXTREMLY under the cap.

Edited by RyanC883

Perahps Marv should have concentrated more keeping his players away from all the BS that goes on during Super Bowl week.

1) No. We had those players at the beginning of the year, and w/ the exception of the KC game, they stunk.

2) Lack of depth is NOT AN EXCUSE. I'm so tired of it. We are not the only FB team to have injuries. The Steelers will prob be playing w/o their Pro Bowl QB at San Fran. Guess what, they have an actual backup in Batch because they spend money. Mendenhall gets hurt, Ike Redman comes in. WR Saunders is hurt, Antonio Brown steps up. Jason Worlds steps up when Harrison gets suspended. The difference: The Steelers, whose owners want to win, spend to the Cap. The Bills, whose owners only want $$$$$$$, stay EXTREMLY under the cap.

Yea - how could anyone - ANYONE - use injuries as an excuse for Buffalo Bills this year when they are somewhere near 30 MILLION DOLLARS UNDER the salary cap!!! I mean, using injuries as an excuse is just a very coy way of not saying Ralph Wilson won't spend the money to field a competitive team. The Bills didn't want to sign talent at backup positions - that is why they let Hangartner walk - he was capable at center and guard, and is a starter on another team - but, he was too expensive to keep as a backup; but, tell me, who would have made more of an impact - Hangartner that game Levitre couldn't even snap the ball, or Brad Smith? Any excuse for this team that doesn't begin and end with ownership is a copout.

I agree with you, but Batch is good for Pittsburgh because he's been backup since I was in high school.

Is Merriman going to retire now that he got his money? Or is he planning to come back to milk us some more?

MMMMMMMMMMMMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

His base salary for next year is $4 million and $3 million of that is guaranteed.

The only chance the club has to recoup some of their investment is to bring him back to camp next year and see if he can stay healthy.

FWIW, Chan said something to Steve after he scored against both the Patriots (minute men stunt) and Jets (plax gun). What was said on those instances? I don't know, but I'm sure Chan was not congratulating him.

Steve just need to grow up some more.

Edited by Fixxxer

Guess what, outside Charlie Batch ALL of the players you mentioned were DRAFTED by the Steelers or an UDFA in the case of Redman. Good, long lasting depth is built through the draft. Which is why Nix says that's the way he will build. The Packers, the Ravens, built through the draft. That takes time. The Bills have spent money. They haven't always spent it in the right places. They tried with Merriman. Barnett was a good signing. Brad Smith has potential. Takes time to build through the draft, but Nix is doing it the right way.

Edited by purple haze