The Most Significant Event

3rdnlng

Dave's inane comment in another thread led me to wonder what the historically most significant events over the last 50 years or so are? It doesn't have to be the actual event itself, but what it represents. For example, Woodstock was an event that represents a movement or change in culture that has had a profound affect on this country. I can think of others that certainly have had a greater affect, but I'll leave that to others. This could become a very good discussion.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave's inane comment in another thread led me to wonder what the historically most significant events over the last 50 years or so are? It doesn't have to be the actual event itself, but what it represents. For example, Woodstock was an event that represents a movement or change in culture that has had a profound affect on this country. I can think of others that certainly have had a greater affect, but I'll leave that to others. This could become a very good discussion.

I don't want to get in a pissing match with you, but why is Dave's comment any more inane than your example of Woodstock?

I don't want to get in a pissing match with you, but why is Dave's comment any more inane than your example of Woodstock?

Go back and read it over. I said Woodstock was an event that represented a movement or change in culture that had a profound affect on this country. I even added that there were other events that may certainly of had a greater affect.

Go back and read it over. I said Woodstock was an event that represented a movement or change in culture that had a profound affect on this country. I even added that there were other events that may certainly of had a greater affect.

Okay..I just found it a funny example of what you were looking for. I get what you are saying about Woodstock, but it is it that much more significant than the 9 years of war we are getting out of? I don't think so..but I guess that is where the interesting discussion will come in.

Edited by Buftex

Okay..I just found it a funny example of what you were looking for. I get what you are saying about Woodstock, but it is it that much more significant than the 9 years of war we are getting out of? I don't think so..but I guess that is where the interesting discussion will come in.

What is the significance of the Iraq War in your mind? What has it changed on a long term basis? In relation, the cultural change represented by Woodstock has brought about many changes.

9/11 of course.

This was one that was on my list. 9/11, as horrific as it was, is representative of so much more. It was the reason for the war in Afghanistan and ultimately led to us going back into Iraq (before anybody quotes me as saying Iraq was behind 9/11 reread what I said). Think how much differently things are done now. Would you have thought you'd have to take your shoes off and have full body scans in airports? How about the potential of being locked up indefinately because you are suspected of being or aiding a terrorist?

Jauronimo thinks the collapse of the Soviet Union was the biggest event. I know it is high on my list. In certain areas it was a great thing to have happen. In other areas, not so great.

Edited by 3rdnlng

Id have to say the technological revolution of the last twenty years (launch of personal computers in mid 80s-today), primarily the Internet and mobile phones (now smartphones and tablets). Its changed how we do pretty much everything, how we buy things, interact with one another, on and on.

Edited by RkFast

What is the significance of the Iraq War in your mind? What has it changed on a long term basis? In relation, the cultural change represented by Woodstock has brought about many changes.

Okay, I will bite...cuz that is what you want. This war has contributed heavily toward bankrupting our economy, cost, rougly 4500 American lives (not to mention countless Iraqi lives) and divided our country in a pretty unhealthy way. All things we will be feeling for some time... Woodstock is a postcard picture of the hippie movemet..a concert. If you think (and I am pretty sure you do) that Barrack Obama is the worst president ever, the war in Iraq contributed heavily to him getting elected. I would say, the war in Iraq contributed heavily to the highest sense of cynicism we have ever had, here in America...mistrust of our government is at an all-time high...I think to dismiss its' signifcance is kind of short sighted.

If Woodstock hadn't happened, there would still have been hippies, Jimi Hendrix, bad acid trips...girls walking topless in the park... horrible jam bands. Altamont, just a few months later, had all those things, but didn't turn into a postcard perfect weekend of peace and love...and it pretty much burst the hippie bubble.

Edited by Buftex

Id have to say the technological revolution of the last twenty years (launch of personal computers in mid 80s-today), primarily the Internet and mobile phones (now smartphones and tablets). Its changed how we do pretty much everything, how we buy things, how we don't interact with one another, on and on.

fixed.

Id have to say the technological revolution of the last twenty years (launch of personal computers in mid 80s-today), primarily the Internet and mobile phones (now smartphones and tablets). Its changed how we do pretty much everything, how we buy things, interact with one another, on and on.

:thumbsup:

While I agree with the overwhelming influence the advancement of technology has had on our culture,

that is more a development, than an event

While I agree with the overwhelming influence the advancement of technology has had on our culture,

that is more a development, than an event

I dont think the OP meant things that took place over just one day or so.

Each major event shapes the world in its own way, I don't think that there's really one such event that would trump the others.

My short list would be, in no particular order:

Reunification of Germany

Collapse of Soviet Union

9/11

Invention of HTML and the World Wide Web

Tienanmen Square

If I had to choose just one, I'd probably go with the invention of HTML, which led to the web, which led to the interwebz becoming mainstream, which affects most every aspect of life for the vast majority of the people on the planet.

Okay, I will bite...cuz that is what you want. This war has contributed heavily toward bankrupting our economy, cost, rougly 4500 American lives (not to mention countless Iraqi lives) and divided our country in a pretty unhealthy way. All things we will be feeling for some time... Woodstock is a postcard picture of the hippie movemet..a concert. If you think (and I am pretty sure you do) that Barrack Obama is the worst president ever, the war in Iraq contributed heavily to him getting elected. I would say, the war in Iraq contributed heavily to the highest sense of cynicism we have ever had, here in America...mistrust of our government is at an all-time high...I think to dismiss its' signifcance is kind of short sighted.

If Woodstock hadn't happened, there would still have been hippies, Jimi Hendrix, bad acid trips...girls walking topless in the park... horrible jam bands. Altamont, just a few months later, had all those things, but didn't turn into a postcard perfect weekend of peace and love...and it pretty much burst the hippie bubble.

I'm not saying that the Iraq war was not significant. You are not getting my drift on Woodstock though. I said it represents a movement or change in culture that certainly was/is significant. Woodstock in itself was just a giant concert in the mud that damaged the environment. (damn left-leaning hippies) Now 9/11 was very significant, not only for the loss of life on that day but it was the precursor to the war in Afghanistan and all kinds of changes in the way we do things. Also, do you think we would have gone into Iraq in the first place if 9/11 didn't happen?

There is a distinction between a one time event that is isolated and an event that represents much more. Woodstock represented a movement and culture change as the falling of the Berlin Wall represented the breakup of the Soviet Union. try to make the distinction.

Exactly. 9/11 for example is certainly a horrific and significant event in and of itself, but the consequences of it multiplied its significance.

I'm not saying that the Iraq war was not significant. You are not getting my drift on Woodstock though. I said it represents a movement or change in culture that certainly was/is significant. Woodstock in itself was just a giant concert in the mud that damaged the environment. (damn left-leaning hippies) Now 9/11 was very significant, not only for the loss of life on that day but it was the precursor to the war in Afghanistan and all kinds of changes in the way we do things. Also, do you think we would have gone into Iraq in the first place if 9/11 didn't happen?

There is a distinction between a one time event that is isolated and an event that represents much more. Woodstock represented a movement and culture change as the falling of the Berlin Wall represented the breakup of the Soviet Union. try to make the distinction.

Exactly. 9/11 for example is certainly a horrific and significant event in and of itself, but the consequences of it multiplied its significance.

I guess we never get eachothers' point. The movement or culture change that you say Woodstock reperesents, would have happened anyways. It was already happening...Woodstock is just a tidy, pop-culture, icon used to explain something much bigger.

I certainly think the Iraq war is far more signifcant than Woodstock was. I think you owe Dave In Norfolk an apology! :P

Yes, he meant 3 days of peace and love! :rolleyes:

I guess we never get eachothers' point. The movement or culture change that you say Woodstock reperesents, would have happened anyways. It was already happening...Woodstock is just a tidy, pop-culture, icon used to explain something much bigger.

I certainly think the Iraq war is far more signifcant than Woodstock was. I think you owe Dave In Norfolk an apology! :P

Yes, he meant 3 days of peace and love! :rolleyes:

What don't you understand about Woodstock representing a much larger movement? I'm saying that movement had more of an affect than the war in Iraq. Now, here's one for you-----what was worse, 9/11 or the war in Iraq?