The Most Significant Event

3rdnlng

9/11 of course.

I think so... it was the event that has set in motion plans and activties that harm the very fabric of this great nation, and some believe will eventually lead to it ultimate collapse as a world power.... preemptive war, violation of basic US civil right an protections, expenditures far beyond imagineable in preperation for combat with real, perceived or convenient threats, the battlefield now being defined as "the globe".

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What don't you understand about Woodstock representing a much larger movement? I'm saying that movement had more of an affect than the war in Iraq. Now, here's one for you-----what was worse, 9/11 or the war in Iraq?

Ok...stepping away on this one...feel a pissing match coming on...but why not just say the counter-culture movement (or whatever you want to call it) had a huge effect. Why say "Woodstock"? Woodstock was a !@#$ing three day rock concert, which Madison Ave used to create a tidy image to explain to middle America what was going on in the counter-culture. Woodstock itself had/has very little relevence, other than spawning a whole bunch of other money making music festivals. It is like saying the works of Cassius Coolidge (the "dogs playing poker" artist) are representitive of the modern American fine arts movement. Woodstock is more representitive of Madison Ave seizing every moment to make a buck, than it was representitive of a movement that was already dying.

I am not going to answer your question, becasue it is stupid. One doesn't exist without the other. Unless you think Bush Jr was determined to go to war with Iraq, with or without a reason. 0:)

Edited by Buftex

I think so... it was the event that has set in motion plans and activties that harm the very fabric of this great nation, and some believe will eventually lead to it ultimate collapse as a world power.... preemptive war, violation of basic US civil right an protections, expenditures far beyond imagineable in preperation for combat with real, perceived or convenient threats, the battlefield now being defined as "the globe".

9/11 was paradigm shifting. Most everything else mentioned here...not so much. Including the Iraq war.

Other possibilities (in my lifetime - and not all I agree with, I'm just tossing them out here):

The Indian Ocean tsunami.

Fukushima or - better - Chernobyl.

Watergate.

Challenger.

I'd go with the event that sparked the ongoing tech revolution...if anyone can point to the single event that changed that paradigm. Maybe when AOL mailed their first "snailspam" disk?

I'd go with the event that sparked the ongoing tech revolution...if anyone can point to the single event that changed that paradigm. Maybe when AOL mailed their first "snailspam" disk?

AOL is a good one. Id add the launch of Windows 95 to that. That OS changed everthing in terms of how users utilize the PC, was the first to have a built in browser, etc.Or perhaps the rise of Dell Computer Co. The first to offer PCs to the masses, IMO.

Edited by RkFast

9/11 was paradigm shifting. Most everything else mentioned here...not so much. Including the Iraq war.

Other possibilities (in my lifetime - and not all I agree with, I'm just tossing them out here):

The Indian Ocean tsunami.

Fukushima or - better - Chernobyl.

Watergate.

Challenger.

Challenger??

:lol: That's so f'n stupid!

Still standing by the collapse of the Soviet Union in terms of global impact. The end of the Soviet era saw the re-unification of one nation, the formation of of 14 new nations (some of which would divide into many more nations after), signified an ideological victory of capitalism over communism, established the US worlds undisputed super power, ended the cold war, opened up one of the worlds largest markets to foreign companies and investors, let the world breath a sigh of relief as the threat of a nuclear holocaust which had loomed prominently for 50 years was lifted, and ushered in a decade of prosperity and good feelings.

While making the world seemingly safer the collapse of the Soviet Union also sowed the seeds for many of the major conflicts to follow. Without big brother watching them, the Balkan nations were finally able to continue century old blood feuds, start civil war, and settle the typical tension caused when another nation draws lines on a map. Plenty of guns and no accountability fueled mass conflict in Africa as enterprising Russian gangsters flooded the world with cheap AK-47s and RPGs.

9/11 may eclipse the collapse of the Soviet Union at some point down the road as it signified the beginning of a new ideological war, but as it stands, I'd say the Soviet collapse has had the greatest global impact of any event in the last 50 years.

Oh I get it now, Iraq War can't be one of the biggest events because it was a giant f up by Conservatives from top to bottom. Conservatives from up high--Conservative George Bush--to the lowly posters on this board swore we had to do it or it was appeasement, surrender and death. Whatever. Look at our federal debt right now--it helped that along

Our politics have been changed by it

The Middle East--for better or worse only time will tell--has been changed

The military has been seriously changed

Oil prices shot up during the war for obvious reasons and have never come back down so our economy has had to change because of it

The distrust of government--WMD anyone? The media has changed for the better, IMO

The Challenger Disaster :doh:

Oil prices shot up during the war for obvious reasons and have never come back down so our economy has had to change because of it

The distrust of government--WMD anyone? The media has changed for the better, IMO

Um...no.

Oh I get it now, Iraq War can't be one of the biggest events because it was a giant f up by Conservatives from top to bottom. Conservatives from up high--Conservative George Bush--to the lowly posters on this board swore we had to do it or it was appeasement, surrender and death. Whatever. Look at our federal debt right now--it helped that along

:lol: