The Most Significant Event

3rdnlng

Oh I get it now, Iraq War can't be one of the biggest events because it was a giant f up by Conservatives from top to bottom. Conservatives from up high--Conservative George Bush--to the lowly posters on this board swore we had to do it or it was appeasement, surrender and death. Whatever. Look at our federal debt right now--it helped that along

Our politics have been changed by it

The Middle East--for better or worse only time will tell--has been changed

The military has been seriously changed

Oil prices shot up during the war for obvious reasons and have never come back down so our economy has had to change because of it

The distrust of government--WMD anyone? The media has changed for the better, IMO

The Challenger Disaster :doh:

Read the chart from the link below and see what a liar you are. Did you actually think that your dumb lies couldn't be refuted?

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No it didn't

Yes, it did. It was a paradigm change in that it shook the country's faith in technology, much like

Oh I get it now, Iraq War can't be one of the biggest events because it was a giant f up by Conservatives from top to bottom. Conservatives from up high--Conservative George Bush--to the lowly posters on this board swore we had to do it or it was appeasement, surrender and death. Whatever. Look at our federal debt right now--it helped that along

Our politics have been changed by it

The Middle East--for better or worse only time will tell--has been changed

The military has been seriously changed

Oil prices shot up during the war for obvious reasons and have never come back down so our economy has had to change because of it

The distrust of government--WMD anyone? The media has changed for the better, IMO

That is seriously retarded. Seriously. The politics were changed by 9/11. Oil prices were changed more by Katrina (and even then, not enough to change people's attitudes). The Middle East has changed? Yeah, there's never been a WAR in the Middle East before? And distrust of the government? That's why I mentioned WATERGATE, you brainless wonder. You may as well have mentioned the anti-war protests as being one of the biggest events.

The Iraq War wasn't a paradigm shift. It was the result of one. That alone indicates that any remotely rational human being wouldn't consider it "the biggest event" - it couldn't be any bigger than the event that it ultimately resulted from, i.e. 9/11.

Id have to say the technological revolution of the last twenty years (launch of personal computers in mid 80s-today), primarily the Internet and mobile phones (now smartphones and tablets). Its changed how we do pretty much everything, how we buy things, interact with one another, on and on.

But that's not a single event. The tech revolution is a series of event, lots of events. So if you're going to include one single event in the tech revolution it HAS to be the day Al Gore invented the internet.

But that's not a single event. The tech revolution is a series of event, lots of events. So if you're going to include one single event in the tech revolution it HAS to be the day Al Gore invented the internet.

It is lots of events, but they are tight enough to one another to make up one single period in History that you can describe and wrap your head around. They were all close enough that I went into college using a typewriter and looking up **** on paper for my work and left campus four (ok, five) years later using MS Word and email. HUGE jump.

There are a few unique events within it, though. AOL mailong a billion disks, which introducted the US to the Internet (NOT the WWW, though) and the launch of Windows 95, which introducted the graphic user interface, married DOS to it and then integrated a web browser. That one piece of software revolutionized how personal computing was done and is still done.

Edited by RkFast

It is lots of events, but they are tight enough to one another to make up one single period in History that you can describe and wrap your head around. They were all close enough that I went into college using a typewriter and looking up **** on paper for my work and left campus four (ok, five) years later using MS Word and email. HUGE jump.

There are a few unique events within it, though. AOL mailong a billion disks, which introducted the US to the Internet (NOT the WWW, though) and the launch of Windows 95, which introducted the graphic user interface, married DOS to it and then integrated a web browser. That one piece of software revolutionized how personal computing was done and is still done.

Tight enough to put together?? From AOL to iPhones? That's nearly half of the 50 year time period we're dealing with. Sure it's happened fast but not so fast it can be considered a single event.

Ah, good one. Seeing I turned 50 this year these are all pretty cool seeing they've happened in my lifetime.

The first moon landing was in '69 which would not be inclusive in the last 50 years. So we must be talking about one of the others like the one in '72, but was the 6th moon landing really more momentous than the fall of the hated hated soviets?

The first moon landing was in '69 which would not be inclusive in the last 50 years. So we must be talking about one of the others like the one in '72, but was the 6th moon landing really more momentous than the fall of the hated hated soviets?

Well seeing I was born 50 years ago and remember lying on the floor watching the first moon landing I think it works. Someone needs to work on their math.

Please don't make 1971 50 years ago. I feel old enough as it is. :D

Edited by Chef Jim

Well seeing I was born 50 years ago and remember lying on the floor watching the first moon landing I think it works. Someone needs to work on their math.

Please don't make 1971 50 years ago. I feel old enough as it is. :D

I figured I would follow up yesterday's history gem with proof that I can no longer do math. Don't try to stop me, I'm rolling.