Jerry Sullivan Says Bills WON'T Go After a QB in the Draf

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we draft at say 7-10 then the contract would likely be pretty close to in line with thigpen or brad smith. Moneys not the issue.

No, money is not the issue. The dire need for talent at so many other positions is.

You can't rebuild a team without a QB. Name another team in the league that has rebuit itself w/o a top QB. It CANNOT be done. Fitz can't throw the long ball. What on earth is drafting a top WR going to do to help him. He'll underthrow him just like he does right now. Fitz is good to groom his potential replacement. Also, the way Fitz is playing, he needs to shave that stupid beard. He looks like an a** playing that way and having a cockey "look at me" beard.

Common misconception, Fitz CAN throw the Long ball, he just can't throw it accurately.

it also doesn't help that his #1 WR can only catch the ball 3/4 times when its put right into his hands, and he doesn't have guys with the talent to be able to make plays on badly thrown balls like the top WR's do routinely

And for those that say we have other needs and that a QB can wait, Do you even watch this league? Its a QB league now, some of the top teams in each conference are teams with the worst defences. NE is leading the AFC with one of the worst defences, and Green bay is leading the league without a loss in over a year with the worst defence statistically. What do both of those teams have, FRANCHISE QBs. Having a bad defence isn't an issue, if you have a competent offence that will get the points back that your defence might give up, A great offence can mask a very poor defence becuase the most important part of winning, IS SCORING POINTS, the offences #1 job. Look at the start of the year when the Bills were leading the AFC East, they had the same defence, but they had an offence that was actually a threat to come back and score points when the opponent scored. The offence struggles to score and the Death spiral begins for the team

Edited by apuszczalowski

I think that the main reason the Bills will not draft a QB early is because the current FO and coaching staff will most likely not be in place in 2-3 years when the kid develops. Nix and Gailey's best shot at keeping their jobs beyond next year is to use all available (albeit limited) resources to support Fitz and pray they can make the playoffs next year and secure a contract extension to buy them a few more years in their positions. If the Bills go 5-11 next year, Gailey will be gone and most likely Nix too. They cannot risk using a high pick on a QB for the next coach/GM to develop.

Your avitar is very distrubing for some reason. But your comments are right on.

I have no idea why that video is funny, but i almost pissed my pants at work just now :worthy:

My buddy sent it to me and I couldn't get that dumb song out of my head. I sing it to my daughter and she cracks up. The guy who sings it awesome.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduard_Khil

"In 2009, a 1976 video of Khil singing a non-lexical vocable version of the song I Am Glad, Cause I'm Finally Returning Back Home (Я очень рад, ведь я, наконец, возвращаюсь домой) was uploaded to YouTube[8] and became known as “Trololololololololololo” or “Trololo”.[9] The name "Trololo" is anonomatopoeia of the distinctive way Khil vocalizes throughout the song. The quirky and catchy video quickly became an Internet meme and Khil became known as "Mr. Trololo" or "Trololo Man"

Again, I agree. But do you think that Mr. Wilson will shell out the big bucks to Fitz AND draft a first round qb? I am NOT asking what he should do. I am asking what you think he will do.

I do, but read below.

I think that the main reason the Bills will not draft a QB early is because the current FO and coaching staff will most likely not be in place in 2-3 years when the kid develops. Nix and Gailey's best shot at keeping their jobs beyond next year is to use all available (albeit limited) resources to support Fitz and pray they can make the playoffs next year and secure a contract extension to buy them a few more years in their positions. If the Bills go 5-11 next year, Gailey will be gone and most likely Nix too. They cannot risk using a high pick on a QB for the next coach/GM to develop.

This is a valid point and one quite honestly I hadn't considered. Chanix after 2 horrible seasons both of which had worse records than their predecessors, need to do better NOW, not 3 years from now. So they might well forgo a first round QB for a player at another position that could help immediately. Not sure I'd like that short sighted thinking, but I can certainly understand it.

He's most likely correct. Judging by Gailey's recent comments Fitz is the man.

Also, drafting a top 3 Quarterback would signal fail on the organization that just extended him.

I don't know. I don't think it signals failure at all, I think it signals being prepared for the future. I also think that Fitz will be fine going forward. I rewatched some of those early games, and Fitz with a healthy offense is really great. Rewatch the NE game and tell me otherwise. People are pissed because he can't carry a team like Manning or Brady, but for god's sake those guys are future HOF players. Fitz isn't, and shouldn't be held to that standard. Of course, certain Bills fans aren't happy unless they are whining about something.

If they draft a QB in a high round, he could sit for a while ALA Aaron Rodgers in GB behind Favre. Another example is Brees/Rivers in SD.

If I'm judging from history, this franchise won't go out and get a top QB because they just signed Fitz and Wilson would think Nix and Gailey didn't know what they were doing if they popped the 1st round QB on him before a season had even passed. Also, if the Bills continue to act as they always have, they'll let Stevie walk and sign a first round WR, or in the first 2 rounds, saying they want to have a young nucleus there - but, really, all they'll be doing is letting a smaller rookie salary replace the expensive one an experienced Bill is due to make - in other words, we'll be treading water and not building anything. If the Bills continue to act as they always have, I don't want to watch anymore!

There is no reason the Bills couldn't afford any of the top QB's if they fell to them - if the Bills said they were trying to model their franchise after Green Bay, one of the best and smartest and most efficient in the NFL, then Green Bay paid much more money for Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre together than the Bills would pay, for one season, of Fitz and a high round rookie. And, it is painfully obvious the Bills don't have a top QB on the roster. Period. Whatever Fitz can do, he isn't close to elite. If a franchise doesn't have an elite QB, and they can draft one, regardless of the other failings of the team, you draft one. That opportunity is less frequent than any other position, when it comes to finding a player.

If the Bills pass on one of the top QB's all it will say, No Matter What Excuse They Throw At Us, is that their pride, their owners wallet, any of a number of things Other Than Winning is motivating their decision. If they have the chance to draft a potential Franchise QB and don't - I wont watch another one of their pathetic games again until the franchise is in another owners hands.

That's right second round QB Ryan Tannehill!!!

If the Bills 'lose out' and USC's Matt Barkley is available to us in round 1, I'm pretty sure Nix would draft him - but that's looking less likely, and I'd rather win our last 3 games anyway.\\

I'm thinking Arizona's Nick Foles in round 4...

Nick Foles signs with "super-agent" Dunn

NFL Draft Scout - Nick Foles

GO BILLSSS!!!!

8 and 8 baby!!!!! :beer:

If the Bills 'lose out' and USC's Matt Barkley is available to us in round 1, I'm pretty sure Nix would draft him - but that's looking less likely, and I'd rather win our last 3 games anyway.\\

I'm thinking Arizona's Nick Foles in round 4...

Nick Foles signs with "super-agent" Dunn

NFL Draft Scout - Nick Foles

GO BILLSSS!!!!

8 and 8 baby!!!!! :beer:

Foles on paper looks real real real good. Like the perfect paper QB.

I watched a few games and he looked good.

It's going to be real interesting if he has a Ponder-esque rise on draft day.

If they have a shot at Luck, Barkley or RG3 they would be nucking futs not to take him. Which isn't to say there aren't other pressing needs. After all, this organization is so inept that there will always be pressing needs. At least get a potentially great QB in place for when a quality GM and coach are hired.

If they have a shot at Luck, Barkley or RG3 they would be nucking futs not to take him. Which isn't to say there aren't other pressing needs. After all, this organization is so inept that there will always be pressing needs. At least get a potentially great QB in place for when a quality GM and coach are hired.

To me even paying and moving up to get RG3 would be worthwhile. As bad as we need players everywhere. If RG3 fits in gailey's mold, and he could sit a year while learning it. It would be well more than I would ever expect with the current brain trust. I really don't think we will draft(potentially) this low for awhile again. Whatever price it would take to move up to between 3 &5 would most likely get RG3. I read somewhere that the going price for pick 1 in the 2012 draft is three #1's, and two number 2 picks. If Luck ever pans out to be what is expected of him. in the long run that deal would be a steal.

I just don't see this franchise today as having that kind of vision. In fact I believe they are blind! The bonus to such a major acquisition of a blue chip Quarterback would be Brandon having a new shiny toy to sell seats. I'm sure their are fans out there that would pay to see RG3 walk the sidelines with a clipboard in year one.

I was listening to Jerry Sullivan on WGR all this week. He's pretty down on this franchise like usual -- and rightfully so. An interesting this he said was that he didn't think the Bills would draft a new QB and pay them the money a top rookie QB would demand. He said it would be a very tough sell to Littman and Wilson after they gave Fitz a $61 contract. This makes a lot of sense.

The Bills have many needs. The did the right thing last year selecting Dareus. They need to draft a DE or OLB who can actually pressure the passer and stop the run. ...and then they need a new coaching staff!

Sullivan's right, but mostly because the Bills SHOULDN'T go after a QB. Look, even if Fitzpatrick isn't a "franchise" QB, so what? Was Trent Dilfer? Was Brad Johnson? If you build a quality offense and a stout defense, you can make an average QB look much better.

The Bills should be looking defense first, especially the front seven, and at offensive linemen. They don't all have to be starters, but the lack of quality depth is what's killing this team. There's no one behind Kyle Williams, the linebackers other than Barnett are either "promising" or just plain awful, and the O-line has fallen off considerably.

The wideouts, running backs, tight ends and secondary will be fine if the guys up front on both sides of the ball are doing a better job.

I was listening to Jerry Sullivan on WGR all this week. He's pretty down on this franchise like usual -- and rightfully so. An interesting this he said was that he didn't think the Bills would draft a new QB and pay them the money a top rookie QB would demand. He said it would be a very tough sell to Littman and Wilson after they gave Fitz a $61 contract. This makes a lot of sense.

He is right and that is why I hate the F$tzmoney signing. More then likely, the Bills will not draft F$tzmoney's replacement but cause they don't think he needs to be replaced. Thigpen will likely be here as well. I just hope they can fix the DEF mess and work a little on offense. But the F$tzmoney signing reeks of Johnson and the rest that followed. Dedicate the next 4-6 years to one guy who couldn't last the season you signed them in. Hopefully I'm completely wrong on F$tzmoney and he shines but right now I see what the Rams and Bengals saw. Unfortunately the Bills see the next Jim Kelly.

Sullivan's right, but mostly because the Bills SHOULDN'T go after a QB. Look, even if Fitzpatrick isn't a "franchise" QB, so what? Was Trent Dilfer? Was Brad Johnson? If you build a quality offense and a stout defense, you can make an average QB look much better.

I hate that argument. I'm sorry but if you have a shot at a big qb, take it. It'll make life a lot easier than trying to build a defense that ranks in the top 5-10 all time and has a bunch of hall of famers.