Shocking Revelation: Neither Buddy or Chan Were Good Hires

Fergs2323

Because you know, none of us knew it from the beginning. This organization is so full of imbeciles, it's embarrassing.

You post an average of less than once a year, but clearly this one was worth the wait! Great post, very insightful and eye-opening. And I like the way that you made your point and then really articulated your case and backed it up in a neatly laid-out fashion. Thanks!

Edited by metzelaars_lives

You post an average of less than once a year, but clearly this one was worth the wait! Great post, very insightful and eye-opening. And I like the way that you made your point and then really articulated your case and backed it up in a neatly laid-out fashion. Thanks!

Don't be an a-hole. The poster is just venting. Nix is absolutely clueless. I will never fault Gailey. He's a straight shooter and took a job no one other than Perry Fewell and Leslie Frazier wanted.

In this case, how much data do you need? Buddy's drafts have been laughable. Please cite examples that defy it. Prior to the Buffalo job, he had zero GM experience. Quite eye opening as he's on the wrong side of 50. During that "search," it was apparent that Ralph did not bother to interview external candidates. Chan on the other hand, had very little success as a coordinator, mind you (not a head coach) with Kansas City. His last head coaching job was with Georgia Tech, where he was inept and subsequently fired. Taking a look at the numbers Dick Jauron, that's right Dick Jauron (another head scratching hire) had a better record in his first two years stint. That enough for you?

In this case, how much data do you need? Buddy's drafts have been laughable. Please cite examples that defy it. Prior to the Buffalo job, he had zero GM experience. Quite eye opening as he's on the wrong side of 50. During that "search," it was apparent that Ralph did not bother to interview external candidates. Chan on the other hand, had very little success as a coordinator, mind you (not a head coach) with Kansas City. His last head coaching job was with Georgia Tech, where he was inept and subsequently fired. Taking a look at the numbers Dick Jauron, that's right Dick Jauron (another head scratching hire) had a better record in his first two years stint. That enough for you?

Enough for me!

In life you get what you pay for. Ralph will never, ever, pay the going rate for a top NFL caliber front office so we're constantly subjected to bargain basement management and at a competitive disadvantage with almost every team in the league before the players even step out onto the field.

Me personally, I don't have any dislike of Buddy and Chan. They are what they are. Good, but not great, football people but from the results in over their heads right now.

I would like each person on here bad mouthing the hiring of Buddy and Chan to state who's cause they were championing as head coach and GM when the bills were searching. Was it Mike Holmgren for GM? Wow he's really working wonders in Cleveland. Was it Shanahan for Head Coach? Wow, cause he's really got the Redskins competing for a super bowl. Please state who you wanted before you bash who we got. I've also got some news for you. Buddy tried to reach out to Harbaugh (the 49ers coach) but he wasn't interested in the job (a significant problem when trying to get top coaching).

In the middle of this fluff piece on Fitz I found a curious quote from Gailey.

“I would like to tell you that we’re doing things differently on offense, but we’re not. We’re doing a lot of the same things and we’re trying to get a lot of the same things done.”

Isn't that at least part of the problem? We're doing the same things (which other teams have figured out)?

I would like each person on here bad mouthing the hiring of Buddy and Chan to state who's cause they were championing as head coach and GM when the bills were searching. Was it Mike Holmgren for GM? Wow he's really working wonders in Cleveland. Was it Shanahan for Head Coach? Wow, cause he's really got the Redskins competing for a super bowl. Please state who you wanted before you bash who we got. I've also got some news for you. Buddy tried to reach out to Harbaugh (the 49ers coach) but he wasn't interested in the job (a significant problem when trying to get top coaching).

It's not my job as a fan to evaluate possible candidates for GM and coach. Every fan has a right to be dissatisfied with the current regime. It would be one thing if the team were showing signs of progress, but this team is absolutely horrible and I blame the coaching staff. It is their job to get the team prepared to execute on Sundays. It is their job to evaluate the opponents offense and game plan to stop it. It is their job to develop an offensive game plan each week that exploits the other teams weaknesses. It is their job to make in game adjustments in order to help make the difference between winning and losing football games. This coaching staff has proven to be woefully inadequate at these things that they are being paid to do. Who would you blame? I have no idea who the next head coach and coordinators should be, but it is painfully obvious to me that this group is just not capable of getting the job done.

I've also got some news for you. Buddy tried to reach out to Harbaugh (the 49ers coach) but he wasn't interested in the job (a significant problem when trying to get top coaching).

You are missing the point. Once Buddy was hired, no competent coach would take the position because they knew Buddy had no idea how to be a GM and build a team. This is similar to Mike Mularkey leaving after Marv was made GM. He knew that Marv had no idea how to be a GM.

Mike Mularkey: .438

Perry Fewell: .429

Dick Jauron: .421

Gregg Williams: .354

Chan Gailey: .321

Did those four guys have more talent, or more ability?

that is the stat of the year SilverMike. Unbelievable that he has the worst record of this 11 year debacle. And guess what, if we lose out Gailey will be 9-23 which is a 281 winning percentage. This team can not evaluate football talent. It is as simple as that. We have just a horrific roster of players. On top of that, the coaching staff has no clue on what they are doing. Watching Alex Carrington trying to catch Phillip Rivers was one of the most ridiculous sights I have seen in some time. What business do we have drafting a DE from Arkansas State with a high 3rd round pick? Just baffling. Seriously, had anyone ever heard of such a school?

The Nix/Gailey regime could amazingly go down as the worst of all of them. And if you do not agree, when in the past 11 years have we been BLOWN OUT on a regular basis?

You are missing the point. Once Buddy was hired, no competent coach would take the position because they knew Buddy had no idea how to be a GM and build a team. This is similar to Mike Mularkey leaving after Marv was made GM. He knew that Marv had no idea how to be a GM.

Oh thanks for clearing that up. Now I understand. What's your IQ?

It's not my job as a fan to evaluate possible candidates for GM and coach. Every fan has a right to be dissatisfied with the current regime. It would be one thing if the team were showing signs of progress, but this team is absolutely horrible and I blame the coaching staff. It is their job to get the team prepared to execute on Sundays. It is their job to evaluate the opponents offense and game plan to stop it. It is their job to develop an offensive game plan each week that exploits the other teams weaknesses. It is their job to make in game adjustments in order to help make the difference between winning and losing football games. This coaching staff has proven to be woefully inadequate at these things that they are being paid to do. Who would you blame? I have no idea who the next head coach and coordinators should be, but it is painfully obvious to me that this group is just not capable of getting the job done.

Point taken and it's one I respect. However, you're position is basically just to sit back and whine until there is a winning product? Fess up. Who did you want? Be honest.

Edited by BuffaloBlizzard

I personally like Chan Gailey as our head coach. I think he's an excellent game coach, the players love the guy, he understands the offensive side of the ball better than most HC's in the league. He's honest too which is refreshing and I think something the players respect.

I'm not sure anybody else out there in the NFL could do more with the talent we have.

To your point about the GM, it looks like Barnett, Chandler and Pears are good FA signings but his drafting is looking very weak right now. We have invested heavily in defense and still can't get off the field.

I'm frustrated with the picks and the player development like everyone, but I think (and hope) Chan sticks around for a few more years because he's solid.

There is a huge difference on team impact/learning curve between replacing a head coach and a front office guy. Most players say the continuity factor is very important for the team.

I wouldn't care if Nix got fired tomorrow, and everybody but Freddie would probably agree with me (nix has a promise to fulfill there.) Don't lump Chan in with Nix, though. Completely different jobs, objectives and criteria to judge them on.

Whaley might not be too bad. He was high on a national list of potential GM's when we hired Nix. Steelers pedigree. Plus, he is young, and he might infuse the whole front office with a new energy and philosophy. I'm not bailing on Nix/Gailey yet. I'll give them 3 years to make something happen - but, for me, anyway, that means they've got to fix the QB situation this offseason. I can't stand watching Fitz miss a wide open receiver 15 yards away - and later that night watch Eli Manning hit just about every pass - in the 4th quarter, with 6 minutes left, down by 12, with Dallas playing against the pass - and Manning hits passes, one after the other, for 20, 30 yarders, over and over, with pinpoint accuracy.

In the middle of this fluff piece on Fitz I found a curious quote from Gailey.

“I would like to tell you that we’re doing things differently on offense, but we’re not. We’re doing a lot of the same things and we’re trying to get a lot of the same things done.”

Isn't that at least part of the problem? We're doing the same things (which other teams have figured out)?

To me this is an incriminating and truly damning admission. I am angry as I type this. Belichick (and other good coaches) will change up schemes on offense and defense EVERY GAME based on the team he his playing. They exploit weaknesses and avoid the other team's strengths. And they win even though they have one of the worst defenses in the league. That is coaching, scheming, film watching, planning and practicing. Apparently those are the things Gailey doesn't think are necessary. The idea that flawless execution can make the same game plan work regardless of the opposition is a Pop Warner approach. It will not succeed in the NFL.