I still think Troup could turn out to be better than Gronkowski for us

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Patience people, this kid Troup is gonna be a monster. Never mind that he came from a girly man school and we could've taken him in the 3rd round anyway. And Rob Gronkowski, who went to Williamsville North, is built like a professional wrestler and was considered a top 10 overall talent before he got hurt in college was just sitting there and it appeared to be the most obvious pick since I've been watching drafts. Just wait folks, it'll work out for us just fine.

I am always a Bills apologist and I hate when people dwell on past mistakes, but I'm sorry, I'll never get over this one. Never.

I agree it's not like the kid did not grow up in our backyard or anything!. Some people were clamoring for him but others chimed in, "Gailey does not throw to his tight ends anyway", which was true but they got the cause all wrong.

Patience people, this kid Troup is gonna be a monster. Never mind that he came from a girly man school and we could've taken him in the 3rd round anyway. And Rob Gronkowski, who went to Williamsville North, is built like a professional wrestler and was considered a top 10 overall talent before he got hurt in college was just sitting there and it appeared to be the most obvious pick since I've been watching drafts. Just wait folks, it'll work out for us just fine.

I am always a Bills apologist and I hate when people dwell on past mistakes, but I'm sorry, I'll never get over this one. Never.

I happen to be a graduate of UCF, and don't appreciate you calling it a girly man school.

That said, I was shocked when Troup was taken in the 2nd round over some of the other players available at that point(Cody, Gronk, etc.)....definitely didn't see Troup being that high a draft pick.

Mike Williams was a can't miss pick. Once I saw how athletic Losman was, I was thrilled about that pick. I even loved the Spiller pick. But taking Troup over Gronkowski was the classic case of "let's be cute, we know something the rest of the league doesn't" pick. And of course, we don't. See Dareus fell into our laps, it would've been insane to not draft him. That's how the Gronkowski pick was to me. It was so blatantly obvious, so natural of a pick to make, that of course they don't do it. And yes, the Whitner pick was also insane. When you've been reading draft coverage for two months and have about 5-10 guys on your radar for the 8th overall pick and they take someone you've never heard of, that is also frustrating.

If you loved the Spiller pick then you are just throwing darts at the board. You've got Lynch and Jackson on the team already and have just spent 2 first rounders in the previous 5 seasons on RB's, your team absolutely BLOWS on both lines.......and you were lovin' it? Talk about an INEXCUSABLY misguided draft choice.

I would have been fine with Gronkowski in round 2 but at least it could be argued that Gronkowski was too high of a risk because of the injury to HIS back, which caused him to miss the prior college season. Funny how healthy he is now though. Kinda' reminds me of Mark McGwire with St. Louis versus Mark McGwire with Oakland. Just sayin'......the guy is....healthier.

I happen to be a graduate of UCF, and don't appreciate you calling it a girly man school.

You tell em'

Troup was a puzzling pick. In hindsight AND on draft day. He was very low on all the draft prospect sites. Seems like the Bills should fire all their scouts and just use Mock Draft sites. All the mock drafts had us taking Orakpo over Maybin, because who in their right mind takes Maybin when when Orakpo's on the board?? Heck, Maybin wasn't even invited to the draft!! That's a good sign that he's NOT 1st round material.

Don't you remember how everyone and their mothers were calling for more beef on the D-Line?

In theory, Troup and Carrington were exactly what the team needed at the time. In practice, it didn't work out so well.

the Bills have a new Director of Pro Personnel in Tom Gibbons and a new Director of College Scouting in Chuck Cook.

Both of them were hired AFTER we fired Tom Modrak in April. The Bills have also made changes among their scouting department with a new hire and some re-assignments.

So Buddy Nix has almost totally revamped the personnel department which he inherited less than two years ago.

This. Last year's draft really wasn't bad.

That said, I was shocked when Troup was taken in the 2nd round over some of the other players available at that point(Cody, Gronk, etc.)....definitely didn't see Troup being that high a draft pick.

I'm sure UCF has many redemming qualities. I went to Canisius and I love Canisius hoops, but if I was an NBA fan and my team drafted someone from Canisius over someone from Duke, I would wonder what they were thinking. I was really just joking anyway. BTW, who is that chick in your avatar, I've often wondered?

This. Last year's draft really wasn't bad.

We don't know that yet. For that matter, we don't really even know if the 2010 class is that bad yet. Lots of players take time to develop. For all we know, Carrington and Troup could be good and Williams and Sheppard could suck. Give it a few years.

I would love it if they just went with this approach. Take whomever the consensus is in the draft magazines for the first three rounds and then let the organization take over round four and beyond. I think if you looked back at the history the Bills would have been far better off with this approach.

As an organization, that would require recognizing that YOU HAVE A PROBLEM EVALUATING TALENT.

Admitting you have a problem is the difficult first step.

There was talk back then that the Marshawn pick was a Ralph Wilson selection, as well as the 4th round RB Dwayne Wright that same year. Don't know how true this might be. Does the old man chime in when he sees some player he has heard of?

We don't know that yet. For that matter, we don't really even know if the 2010 class is that bad yet. Lots of players take time to develop. For all we know, Carrington and Troup could be good and Williams and Sheppard could suck. Give it a few years.

So Troup can maybe, possibly, be good someday? But never as good as Gronkowski? Right?

Troup to have surgery to repair "minor fracture" in his spine.

AP story

jw

Drives me crazy how they struggle and suck all season with a nagging injury and then at the end of the season, goto IR then get a surgery. Why cant they figure these injuries out before a season, get the surgery so we can get someone in here who can contribute. Troup's back is not going to get better and he'll be cut in one year. Never, ever draft a guy with back problems.

Troup was a puzzling pick. In hindsight AND on draft day. He was very low on all the draft prospect sites. Seems like the Bills should fire all their scouts and just use Mock Draft sites. All the mock drafts had us taking Orakpo over Maybin, because who in their right mind takes Maybin when when Orakpo's on the board?? Heck, Maybin wasn't even invited to the draft!! That's a good sign that he's NOT 1st round material.

Now that Modrak is finally gone perhaps the real problems still exist in the scouting department in terms of the scouts doing the analyzing of the players. Which ever scout was pushing for Troup is probably taking bribes from agents.

Perhaps things have changed with Modrak gone, but the only guy starting from day one this year, and playing great is Marcel Darius. Still kinda early to pronounce either way if this team is going to start drafting quality players that are game changers

Drives me crazy how they struggle and suck all season with a nagging injury and then at the end of the season, goto IR then get a surgery. Why cant they figure these injuries out before a season, get the surgery so we can get someone in here who can contribute. Troup's back is not going to get better and he'll be cut in one year. Never, ever draft a guy with back problems.

We didn't draft gronkowski - we drafted the guy without back problems.

Seriously, I love people's short term memory. Gronk missed an entire season because of back problems and missed 3 games prior to that. He's also playing with one of the greatest QBs ever. But hindsight is awesome. It's the same hindsight that people using in knowing Clay Matthews, with his 5.5 career sacks at USC, would be a stud at the NFL level.

Seriously, I love people's short term memory. Gronk missed an entire season because of back problems and missed 3 games prior to that. He's also playing with one of the greatest QBs ever. But hindsight is awesome. It's the same hindsight that people using in knowing Clay Matthews, with his 5.5 career sacks at USC, would be a stud at the NFL level.

This is what I was going to say. At the time, I thought Gronk is trying to pull something over........He misses an entire season, which drops him from top ten to 2nd round. I figured if his back really was sound, he'd go back for one more year and then get himself back in the top ten.

The Patriots can afford to take a flyer on somebody like him because they're great and because they have about 3 2nd round draft picks every year.

My main gripe is the timing of getting surgeries. Rather than waste a year struggling, just get the surgery and let the team bring in a healthy body while you recouperate. I still stand by the statement of don't draft guys with back problems. They never get better, you watch, Gronkowski will start to miss games and then his career will be over. By the way, I don't care if Troupe had known back problems by Nix when drafted, I'm discussing this at the 50,000 foot level of back problems and playing in the NFL.