CJ "arm tackle" Spiller

zow2

I mean seriously, have you ever seen an NFL RB get arm tackled as easily as Spiller? Even little guys like Sproles are so much tougher. That my new nickname for him... "arm tackle" Spiller. You often hear on NFL telecast how you cannot bring down so and so (insert most NFL RB names) with an arm tackle. Man, why us?!?!?!?

Been saying this since the draft...taking him when we did is like buying fancy rims and tires for a Hyundai Elantra...stupid. The man does NOTHING great - runner, receiver, kick returner, blocker...why on Earth did we think he woudl set the world on fire... Oh yeah, he played in the SEC.

I mean seriously, have you ever seen an NFL RB get arm tackled as easily as Spiller? Even little guys like Sproles are so much tougher. That my new nickname for him... "arm tackle" Spiller. You often hear on NFL telecast how you cannot bring down so and so (insert most NFL RB names) with an arm tackle. Man, why us?!?!?!?

He's had a pretty slim amount of time on an NFL field.

Also sproles is the same weight but 5 inches shorter. Between the short stature and stockiness of course he's tough.

Been saying this since the draft...taking him when we did is like buying fancy rims and tires for a Hyundai Elantra...stupid. The man does NOTHING great - runner, receiver, kick returner, blocker...why on Earth did we think he woudl set the world on fire... Oh yeah, he played in the SEC.

He played in the ACC, but the rest of your points are dead on........Actually it was like buying those fancy tires and all they do is go flat. At least at the time we thought we had some fancy tires. I thought he'd be an electrifying return guy. He is horrible.

He's not going to remind anybody of Travis Henry in his ability to break tackles, per the OP's arm tackle point.

He has no elusiveness whatsoever. He can't make guys miss. He can't drag guys for extra yards. He can't run over anybody.

If Fred had been able to play today he would have gotten 100 yards. Spiller's had enough time to play where if he was going to do something he would have done it by now.

I'm hoping we sign a good FA to back up Fred. There are a lot out there. I'm not sure what you'd do with Spiller. Cut him maybe?

Edited by reddogblitz

I'm not sure what you'd do with Spiller. Cut him maybe?

Why would you cut him?! :blink::wacko:

Does anyone realize that he's averaging 4.7 yards per carry this season? He only has 54 carries, but 4.7ypc is pretty good. If he had the minimum number of carries, he'd be in the top-12 average for RBs (and Freddy is 2nd) - skip the QBs): http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/rushing/sort/yardsPerRushAttempt

I wouldn't call that that a bust; I'd call that not getting a ton of opportunities.

Thanks - someone points out what a lot of people here don't want to admit - Spiller is just fine, man. He averages a good bit - almost 5 YPC. You know, just because he hasn't been given a full season of full time play, doesn't mean he is a bust. The kid is so fast - if you can't see that, you're selling him short - he is so fast he needs more than anything to learn to slow down a little and follow blocks. The only thing keeping him from Chris Johnson type skills is that Spiller, when he gets the ball, outruns all his blocks and virtually runs into the defense, or, he sidesteps too much and gets caught behind the line. That stuff can be fixed with practice, experience, and better run blocking.

Is he Fred Jackson - which is why everyone is killing him, because Fred is so good. No. There is no running back in the NFL like Fred Jackson. The man just makes things happen. It's hard to rationalize why he is as good as he is - it is special. But, it isn't Spiller's fault that Chan and Buddy didn't have the ability to percieve the talent they had when they took over the team. I'm just a fan watching the games from a distance, but even I knew, 3 years ago, that Freddy was special. Even then he was averaging like 5 to 8 yards a carry, but it was always in relief of Lynch, or someone else.

Truth is - if Spiller were on half the other teams in the NFL he'd be a star. There aren't a lot of players with his speed. Look at how quick he gets out around the edge! If he can learn to slow down for his blocks and choose his holes better, look out! But, that comes with time. If we're losing and out of the playoffs, why not let him develop? Lets not run him out of town so we can watch him become the next Barry Sanders on a team like the Patriots.

I tend to agree with the people that say that he just hasn't been given enough carries. Even during this last period when he has had an opportunity to play, Gailey is too pass happy. And when the team falls behind by two scores like they do almost every week, they completely abandon the run. I think Spiller is just fine. They just are not giving him an opportunity to excel. Part of being a good coaching staff is letting playmakers make plays by putting them in the right situations. This coaching staff is not very good at that on either side of the ball.

No one will trade anything for him now. The Bills cut him and someone will pick him up for a lot less money as a situational back of some sort and he will do well.

It's like I've seen this story before somewhere.

Yep that is probably the way it will go. Our #1 draft pick instant millionaires become some other team's situational stars at the league minimum.

hahahahahaahah. That is a great post! Perhpas Ball from Wisconsin will be available in the 3rd Round? I'd also like to see White and Choice get some more playing time in the last 3 games so we know what we have there.

After yesterday's game, his average is 4.5 yards per carry which puts him fairly high on the list of RBs. He is nowhere near a bust but the victim of circumstances - If it weren't for Freddy's shadow, he would be viewed a lot differently. Also, unlike Freddy, he has too many short gains or losses which causes you to scratch your head and think WTF . . . and then he'll break one. The lack of creativity re playcalling also has hurt him and the offense generally - Third and short, why throw a 30-40 yard, low probability pass? I am not a huge fan of CJ, but the folks calling for his head are way off, in my view.

After yesterday's game, his average is 4.5 yards per carry which puts him fairly high on the list of RBs. He is nowhere near a bust but the victim of circumstances - If it weren't for Freddy's shadow, he would be viewed a lot differently. Also, unlike Freddy, he has too many short gains or losses which causes you to scratch your head and think WTF . . . and then he'll break one. The lack of creativity re playcalling also has hurt him and the offense generally - Third and short, why throw a 30-40 yard, low probability pass? I am not a huge fan of CJ, but the folks calling for his head are way off, in my view.

Agreed! CJ is just fine, IMO, and if we let him go it would be a catestrophic mistake. We are one, maybe two OL away from being awesome. If there's one guy right now that I could see leave it's Corey McIntyre. He doesn't fit this offense, and don't get me wrong I like him, but he's taking up a TE position that I think would be better fit for our Bills. Bills should go with three TE's next year. Cut MaGee loose and develop Williams. Draft LB's and CB's next year! Drop Parrish - (USeless player). Our plan should be finding a way to have two wide outs take 4 defenders with them on every play. That leaves SJ, and our TE's (Nelson included) to get open against LB's and nickle corners. Freddy, and CJ will have a field day in the spread offense. Right now SJ is our only (And has been our only) solid down field guy, and DC's are only putting one defender on him most times. That leaves them 10 defenders to expose our short-pass game, and cover Freddy. If I'm a DC I like those odds! Fitz also needs to work on arm strength in the off season, coz right now he can't even catch up tp SJ down field and that is not a good recipe for a starting QB in this league!

Just my thoughts!

Tim-

What an awesome post.......lets bash the only guy who played somewhat well yesterday.......40 yards on 10 carries maybe? Wow spiller terrible......He looked even worse last week when he broke 2 long tds.....one that got called back.........Fitz is terrible and these fans are terrible....

Please he got 16 of those yards in garbage time on a draw against a prevent defense. The other 11 carries were for 30 yards, and SD has the 26th rated rush defense. And sorry I dont see any wow speed. Whats his longest run from scrimmage in his almost 2 years here?

Edited by billsfan714